[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - This Year's Sol Ring Thread

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 9:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: This Year's Sol Ring Thread
AgePosted: 2017-May-05 3:51 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 4:24 am 

I don't have the data, and frankly I doubt many people do, including the RC, about how many games are won with a Sol Ring on the starting hand (although I am starting to collect some data on cards that players often complain about and see how often they win games, and Sol Ring is one of them). So I can't say it should be banned based on power level.

However, I would like to see it banned based on ubiquity. Just look at the data collected on EDHREC: https://edhrec.com/cards/?q=ring-on-it. The card is present in 75% of ALL the decks analyzed by that website. That's 2.5 times more common than the second most frequent card, . In a game with 10.000+ cards available, that's just ridiculous. And I don't think this data surprises anyone. I mean, it's a one mana colorless artifact that gives you two additional mana every turn. It is way above the curve by today's standards, puts you significantly ahead of everyone else at the table, and gives you something every decks wants: mana. Other than ethical or moral reasons, there is an incredibly low cost to putting a Ring on a Commander deck. You might as well call the format the "Sol Commander" and post on the rules page that decks have one commander, one Sol Ring and 98 other cards.

And that's what I hate about the card. It's cutting a slot in everyone's deck that could be dedicated to more awesome things. And, as it already has been mentioned by other people in this thread, it does occasionally ruin games that could otherwise have been more interesting. In fact, that was the primary reason I stopped running the card in my decks. I felt horrible during one game where I went T1 Sol Ring T2 Explosive Vegetation T3 Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund -> kill the table three attacks at a time.

I also agree with cryogen that the slippery slope argument holds no strength in the banning of Sol Ring and/or fast mana. The other mana rocks have real costs associated with them ( deals you damage, is a ritual more often than not), but Sol Ring is good at every stage of the game, and completely busted in the first three turns of the game.

I would like to end by asking this to everyone who cares. Like I said at the beginning, I don't know if the card is powerful enough to deserve the banhammer. But how many of you would miss Sol Ring if it was banned? And if so, why? What if Sol Ring had never been printed in the first place, would you think the format needed a card similar to it?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 4:37 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 4:44 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 4:52 am 

(Red Artefacts).
(Simic Voltron).
(Bant Polymorphs).
(Grixis Treasure).
(Jund Apostles).
(Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 8:42 am 

Would anything happen to the format if Sol Ring and Mana Crypt were banned? If everyone is doing it, then everyone would lose it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 9:45 am 

I'd love to see banned and some of the other fast mana like because they speed up the game too fast. I'm ok with signets and since it's slower than sol ring (requires mana to untap or a combo piece) and or they cost more to play than they produce.

Often times the player with the sol ring in my group wins on turn 4 because either no one else was lucky enough for mana rocks or they were still mid ramp when the combo player went off.

Pretty sure the RC isn't allowed to ban sol ring since wizards reprints them in every commander set and it's a staple card. You know one of those over priced (money-wise) cards that are guaranteed to increase your chances for winning.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 10:56 am 

Well, Grim Monolith taps for more mana than it costs. And I we take Wizards and the RC at their word, they've the said the RC is in control of the format, so the only thing stopping them from banning Sol Ring is their desire not to.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 12:14 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 12:41 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 3:48 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 4:24 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 7:56 pm 

(Red Artefacts).
(Simic Voltron).
(Bant Polymorphs).
(Grixis Treasure).
(Jund Apostles).
(Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-05 11:00 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-06 1:15 am 

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next