Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-19 6:51 am

Post subject: American 1v1 rules change
AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 3:35 am 

If this already exists somewhere else please let me know as I have not found it.
Does anyone know of the validity of the life total change of 30 life, down from 40, in
1v1 using the american balist that came out on the mtgo official tumblr? And if this apllies only to mtgo or if paper commander will follow this as well?

http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com

Last edited by Redmage87 on 2017-Mar-23 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: American 1v1 rules change
AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 3:54 am 

Best I can find is that the duel commander rules actually start at 20 life.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 5:50 am 

Now I'm wondering if the RC will be working with Wizards to codify 1v1 a little more. Will they be using the French ban list, or not, since the life totals are 30, not 20?

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 7:56 am 

http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/158715254664/30-life-for-1v1-commander is the article that everyone's talking about. Apparently, WotC has been in communication with Italian Commander, Leviathan.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 7:59 am 

How does the Italian banlist differ?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 9:27 am 

FinalLogic wrote:
Now I'm wondering if the RC will be working with Wizards to codify 1v1 a little more. Will they be using the French ban list, or not, since the life totals are 30, not 20?

The France based format seems basically a mess and they recently made a lot of changes. I know that's a relative opinion, but i would feel pretty comfortable saying no.

But mainly, why would the commander RC work with WOTC and then they both combined take a third party's list? I think they would build off what they have...

Baron Cappuccino wrote:
http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/158715254664/30-life-for-1v1-commander is the article that everyone's talking about. Apparently, WotC has been in communication with Italian Commander, Leviathan.

Where did you find this about Leviathan? It's not mentioned on the link you shared.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 10:14 am 

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the- ... by-wizards

That thread contains a discussion containing a link to the relevant Leviathan forums where it's translated that Wizards has communicated with them lately.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 12:10 pm 

Wait so now there's French 1v1, American 1v1 (which may or may not be this Leviathan thing) and Italian 1v1?

Well I'm glad they sorted that out.... :roll:

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 12:15 pm 

Can someone explain how Leviathan differs from French EDH?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-23 6:52 pm 

French or Duel Commander is a 1v1 commander format with a seperate banlist and slightly different rules. Leviathan is also a 1v1 commander format which splintered off from the regular duel commander format after the changes to rules and banlist a few months back. More infor here www.duelcommander.com

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-24 1:11 am 

To be honest, I've always found these rules to be something of a headache. This may be because I encourage my playgroups not to play Sol Ring, Vault, Crypt, or Top simply because Moxen level ramp and Top effect the game in often unfun ways- (where Scroll Rack and Sylvan Library exist, but don't protect themselves or involve durdling during multiple turns.

However, much like Modern- I take umbrage with Dig Through Time being banned. The "French" rules also ban Dig without Treasure Cruise, which I consider to be a highly suspect call. Also, Primeval Titan man. Just doesn't belong in singleton formats.

1v1 Commander works fine with the regular rules set, since EDH decks go so far over the top that at 20 life, players tend to be a brisk spider's fart away from loss (which makes Green and Red particularly obnoxious- since they have full access to vintage packages.)

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-26 6:21 am 

Viperion wrote:
Wait so now there's French 1v1, American 1v1 (which may or may not be this Leviathan thing) and Italian 1v1?

Well I'm glad they sorted that out.... :roll:

This is for you and people who want a tldr:
French EDH (1v1 sub format, different banlist) has switched from 30 starting life to 20 and disabled commander damage.

So Leviathan (Italian) splintered off French. Still 1v1 and 30 starting life (and commander damage as far as I know) but with slightly different banlist than French.

'American' EDH I don't think is a thing. It's just EDH.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-26 11:06 pm 

Duel commander going to 20 life really hurt combo. However, I think Vial having such a fast clock played a part in that. They’re probably going to ban Vial and unban a powerful combo card in April.

I’ve enjoyed the changes to the format since I like aggro and control more than combo. Also, rounds finishing faster has been awesome.

I’m not very optimistic about what WotC is doing, but I’ll hold off judgment until we learn more. The banlist for it is more important to me than if it’s 20 or 30 life.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-27 4:11 am 

As long as they leave original multiplayer commander alone, I'm ambivalent about any changes or competition in the 1v1 arenas. Last thing we need is Wizards taking over Commander and "shaking up the meta" by banning whatever general everyone likes most at the moment, banning sol ring in the name of format diversity, etc. A multiplayer commander Grand Prix/Pro Tour would be something to experience once, though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-27 4:17 am 

Baron Cappuccino wrote:
As long as they leave original multiplayer commander alone, I'm ambivalent about any changes or competition in the 1v1 arenas. Last thing we need is Wizards taking over Commander and "shaking up the meta" by banning whatever general everyone likes most at the moment, banning sol ring in the name of format diversity, etc. A multiplayer commander Grand Prix/Pro Tour would be something to experience once, though.

Anything that competitive would be dominated by Hermit Druid turn 2/turn 3 decks. Not fun at all.

Offline Profile