Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-22 8:19 am

Post subject: Tribal EDH Definition
AgePosted: 2017-May-13 4:37 am 

A problem i've been pondering on with some friends:
What is a Tribal in EDH and what is not? Under what deckbuilding rules should we go?
Would be nice to get an official answer for that. Thanks in advance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tribal EDH Definition
AgePosted: 2017-May-13 8:58 am 

There is literally no official ruling. The biggest guide that's generally accepted is that 1/3 of your deck must be of the type, and the general should be if possible.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-14 5:16 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
The biggest guide that's generally accepted is that 1/3 of your deck must be of the type, and the general should be if possible.

What kind of laxist ship are you running? 100% creature type, no flavour or art incongruities. Proper tribal!

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-14 6:25 am 

Well, there's the "Tribal Wars EDH" format- which is something like...
-40 creatures (including General) which all include the same creature type identity

But I really dislike that, since I rarely ever want to play even 25 creatures in an EDH deck. Tribal is usually just a catchall term to describe "Decks which can use Cavern of Souls, Obelisk of Urd and Coat of Arms effectively" or are otherwise "Subtype Matters" decks. I find them to be a tad distasteful, since I like Orcs with my Goblins, Elementals with my Dryads, Beasts and Leviathans, Constructs with my Golems, Wizards with my Cleircs, and Spirits with my Angels. I think that "tribal" is something of an extreme flavor concept that needs to be taken with a sense of humor- but it really is up to your as your deck's author.

If your playgroup is interested in Tribal Wars, give it a whirl- but I found it to be dreadfully boring (Elves. Wizards, Merfolk and Goblins are usually banned, Spirits and Demons rule the roost, and we Bird lovers tend to create upsets at the table.)

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-14 7:28 am 

My definition of a tribal commander deck is where every creature that's not part of the tribal has to have a clear enough reason for being in the deck that you can randomly look through it, find the non-tribal creatures, and say 'this is why they're here'. I never consider enchantments, artifacts, instants, or sorceries as part of the tribal, because usually they're generic commander stuff like mana ramp, draw, or something.

My Karador deck is the example I'll use: A Reanimator Spirit Tribal with eight non-Spirit creatures: One has Soulshift, three are part of it's reanimator theme (two are legendaries), one is a tutor, one is a strong defensive creature, and two are part of it's 'triple commander' theme (it's designed to use any of the three as a commander, sort of like the pre-built decks). Most of the creatures are from the Kamigawa Block (and thankfully very cheap), and I've found that pulling most of the creature base from the same block can really give a decent starting point. My Karador deck has at least forty spirits from the Kamigawa block just sitting around not in the deck.

I've noticed a lot of tribals don't have an easy selection of commanders that can combine it's tribal with a theme/more generalized play style. Harsh Mercy is a pretty good field wipe for tribal decks, but most tribal decks I've seen need some kind of theme to go along with the tribal just to keep up with 'normal' commander decks.

-Nahiri, the Lithomancer-Monowhite Soldier/Equipment Deck
-Sharuum the Hegemon-Esper Artifact Themed Deck
-Karador, Ghost Chieftain-Kamigawa Spirit Reanimator Tribal Deck
-Zedruu the Greathearted-Predictability is Weakness Themed Deck
-Nissa, Vastwood Seer/Nissa, Sage Animist-Monogreen Land Based Deck

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-14 7:53 pm 

Drrakus wrote:
My definition of a tribal commander deck is where every creature that's not part of the tribal has to have a clear enough reason for being in the deck that you can randomly look through it, find the non-tribal creatures, and say 'this is why they're here'. I never consider enchantments, artifacts, instants, or sorceries as part of the tribal, because usually they're generic commander stuff like mana ramp, draw, or something.

I really like your definition, It's pretty close to how I build mine. All the Artifact "Choose" Lords get a pass, of course, but otherwise the card has the creature type, reference to the creature type in the rules text or an obvious synergy to fill a need (River Kelpie for card draw in Gisa & Geralf).

I like it when players try to keep their additional cards as thematic as possible. Someone in my playgroup plays Werewolves and won't include the Eldrazi Werewolves (because they are Eldrazi) or "Bloodrush" creatures as his boosts (the effect of a spell without adding to his spell count) because the Bloodrush creatures aren't wolves or werewolves.

My personal extreme is my 5 color Eldrazi deck that doesn't include cards that clash thematically or mechanically. Eldrazi are unlikely to use a Mind Stone, so there's none in the deck. However Dreamstone Hedron clearly shows an Eldrazi manipulating the Hedron so that's fine. Ramp is Ruin in their Wake & Growth Spasm (no Burnished Hart or Kodama's Reach because they can neither build nor manipulate a mechanical deer nor have they been to Kamigawa. Cultivate is out too because the Eldrazi don't cultivate, they destroy). Harrow could go in if you consider the non-agricultural definition of "distressing the mind" etc.. Removal is Induce Dispair, not Swords to Plowshares. There's no Nissa themed cards or art unless it's obviously on the Eldrazi side of the theme (Nissa's Revelation). It can be a lot of fun building to an extreme like this.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-14 9:57 pm 

I wish there was a "Like" button for your post, Zimagic! I feel exactly the same about themes and how to stick to them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-15 12:47 am 

I only have one deck that I would consider tribal. Seton, Krosan Protector.

I run mostly druids, with a few elves and other creatures for effect. I suppose I could switch out Regal Force for Collective Unconscious or Shamanic Revelation but I like that force is a creature that can attack and the Revelation is Shamans, not druids.

I don't think I have a strict number of druids that I have to run in order for it to feel like tribal... But I know there's a limit to it.

I wouldn't consider my Arcanis/Azami deck a wizards tribal deck, even though most creatures are wizards. I just don't think the deck has hit a critical mass of creature type matters.

Maybe one of the criterion needs to be "can your deck use Door of Destinies?"

EDIT: I almost forgot that my mono red is all dragons + Heartless Hidetsugu as commander. Thats kinda tribal. And my Mono white is 90% angels.

I think the second closest deck that I have to "tribal" is my Isperia deck where all creatures must have flying.

Offline Profile