Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-22 9:14 am

Post subject: Mana Reflection + Opal Palace
AgePosted: 2017-May-20 2:13 am 

Let's say my Commanders are Tana, the Bloodsower and Reyhan, Last of the Abzan.

Using Opal Palace's +1/+1 counter ability with Mana Reflection out will make 2 mana with the +1/+1 counter property. So I'm certain that if I use one of those mana for Reyhan and one for Tana they will both enter with an extra +1/+1 counter.

Is there any reason why they wouldn't stack if I used both mana on the same Commander?

Same question for Mana Reflection + Pyromancer's Goggles, do I need to cast two different spells with the mana to get two copies out of it, or can I cast one spell with both mana and get the spell + two copies?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mana Reflection + Opal Palace
AgePosted: 2017-May-20 2:25 am 

Quote:
106.6a Some replacement effects increase the amount of mana produced by a spell or ability. In these cases, any restrictions or additional effects created by the spell or ability will apply to all mana produced. If the spell or ability creates a delayed triggered ability that triggers when the mana is spent, a separate delayed triggered ability is created for each mana produced.

I think this is the relevant CR citation. The version of the rules on my desktop is outdated, but I don't see anything from Kaladesh or Amonkhet forcing a change to this rule. I remember this coming from a Caged Sun + Cavern/Opal Palace or the "downside" for Primal Beyond

Did someone in your playgroup have an argument against the interaction? I generally tend to refer to the "RTFC and go" philosophy when these situations come up in a game, because it's easier to let someone at the table have a super power and find out that it doesn't work later, than to interrupt the game unless it's something that I either know for sure, or that doesn't require a super loose interpretation of the cards- or involve contradictions in card text.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mana Reflection + Opal Palace
AgePosted: 2017-May-20 3:50 am 

the uncomplicated answer is yes, you could spend two mana on one thing to get double the effect. hmm... that's gross, going to have to exploit that now.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile