Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 8:23 am

Post subject: How to Explain Basic Rules to a Group
AgePosted: 2017-May-31 7:50 pm 

So, I have a somewhat unusual issue. The house playgroup I'm in believes that the "draw step" is optional. As in they don't have to draw if they don't want to, and that it can happen anytime during their turns. We've only been playing together for about 6 months and its never come up before, until I started playing things like <<Underworld Dreams>>. Which kind of, sort of, hinges on opponents drawing cards.

Now I know there's official rules 501(Beginning Phase order), 504(Draw Step), and Rule 614.1b(skip/replacement effects). When put all together they say, "draw step" is in the rules and when to do it. If you don't want to do it you need a replacement effect that causes you to skip it.

I was really hoping there would be something simpler to point to though that says, "You can't arbitrarily skip steps." Any rules disputes we've had in the past, its been easy enough to just point directly to a single rule for clarification. This one though is such a basic concept I can't find anything that says, "skipping is cheating".

Anything obvious I've missed that would be easier to explain, or a way to easily convey the info I've already gathered?

Last edited by Zumrak on 2017-Jun-01 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: How to Explain Basic Rules to a Group
AgePosted: 2017-May-31 11:48 pm 

The rules of the game are permissive -- they tell you what can be done. By that same token, if they tell you that things happen, and that they happen in a certain order - then that's what happens. You don't get the choice to alter them as you wish.

Get them to play Magic Duels (last I saw it was a free download on PC, Xbox or Playstation). It's pretty good at teaching the basics ... such as there is a certain time, every round, which you draw a card. It might even mention that you have to do it, and if you can't then you lose.

Another way would be to get them to go here: http://chat.magicjudges.org/mtgrules/ and get them to ask there. The many judges there will help them with pretty much any question you have.

I think the key here would be to take the "don't just believe me -- check out these other things/places that also say what I'm telling you" route.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-01 7:46 am 

Thank you, that is about as concise as I can hope for. I'll combine my statements and yours into my groups, "groupchat".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-01 8:04 am 

I feel ya. The other day I was playing with a guy who is clearly a seasoned MTG player but appears to be relatively new to EDH. I had to spend roughly 5 minutes explaining that Omnath, Locus of Mana allows me to keep mana during his turn, then got a couple judges over to confirm it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-01 8:07 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I feel ya. The other day I was playing with a guy who is clearly a seasoned MTG player but appears to be relatively new to EDH. I had to spend roughly 5 minutes explaining that Omnath, Locus of Mana allows me to keep mana during his turn, then got a couple judges over to confirm it.

Seasoned? But doesn't understand how Omnath works?

I call shenanigans.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-01 4:00 pm 

niheloim wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Seasoned? But doesn't understand how Omnath works?

I call shenanigans.

He had a massive trade binder with staples from pretty much every set and period ever. I mean, it's not like Omnath was ever really too good in Standard or any other competitive format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-02 12:23 am 

Some people just have really big blind spots for one section or another of the game (or any game really).

I can believe it. It's certainly odd -- but that's probably why Uktabi_Kong didn't figure that would be an issue from the guy at first :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-02 12:12 pm 

Yeah, it happens. I dont imagine that he was trying to pull a fast one.

Offline Profile