Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-13 6:30 pm

Post subject: Mulligan Rule?
AgePosted: 2017-Jul-26 1:29 am 

The rules page doesn't actually describe the current mulligan rule, but the change log (here http://mtgcommander.net/EDH_Root/changelog.php) says "First mulligan is free". This should be listed in the main rules, because it's difficult to find.

Also, while on the topic of mulligans, I did like how the old mulligan rule minimized shuffling. Can we bring back a clause allowing people to take mulligans without a full shuffle in between each one? It takes forever to start a game when somebody decides to take their third mulligan this way.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mulligan Rule?
AgePosted: 2017-Jul-26 2:00 am 

Etsap wrote:
The rules page doesn't actually describe the current mulligan rule, but the change log (here http://mtgcommander.net/EDH_Root/changelog.php) says "First mulligan is free". This should be listed in the main rules, because it's difficult to find.

It's also part of the core Magic rules:
Comp Rules wrote:
800.5. In a multiplayer game, the first time a player takes a mulligan, he or she draws a new hand of as many cards as he or she had before. Subsequent hands decrease by one card as normal.

I suspect it's not on the rules page here because it's not a change from the core magic rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-26 10:00 am 

Ah, I didn't realize it was in the official multiplayer rules, thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-27 10:18 am 

Etsap wrote:
Can we bring back a clause allowing people to take mulligans without a full shuffle in between each one? It takes forever to start a game when somebody decides to take their third mulligan this way.

Carthain nailed the first part of your question so I'll address this part.

Locally we do this, and I think it's very sensible. Setting aside your mulliganed hand and drawing a new 7 off the top makes the process much faster than shuffling each time. I think they keep it the same as the magic core rules to reduce the amount of extra rules required for commander.

That said my card shop still uses partial paris a lot of the time, I argue against it mostly because I know how to abuse it, but most people like the security it provides and dont use it to short themselves on land slots or abuse synergies, so it's not a big deal.

Overall mulligans is one of the most customisable parts of the game, so if you and your mates agree, then do whatever you want. I believe the Rules committee use a "Dont be a Dick" mulligan system, which involves mulliganing into keepable 7, dont abuse it.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile