Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-22 9:49 am

Post subject: Re: Mairsil... Maybe time to re-review bannable combo cards?
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-14 9:41 am 

Well, it may not be a "I win" combo ... but a two card combo to set someone's life to a single digit (regardless of current value) doesn't seem like it needs to justify calling itself a "combo" :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-14 9:45 am 

Meh. It's not even in bolt range.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-14 10:10 am 

Tree of Perdition with Mairsil is pretty impressive: an opponent's life total becomes 4, and Mairsil becomes something like 4/40? Nice. If we're going to competitive extents, Flame Rift or Exquisite Firecraft or Reckless Abandon or someone else's Boros Charm could seal the deal.

---

@Carthain @Uktabi_Kong To seal that interpretation you've made, here's some reference from the comprehesnive rules on Names:

Quote:
201.4. Text that refers to the object it’s on by name means just that particular object and not any other objects with that name, regardless of any name changes caused by game effects.

201.4b If an ability of an object refers to that object by name, and an object with a different name gains that ability, each instance of the first name in the gained ability that refers to the first object by name should be treated as the second name.

Example: Quicksilver Elemental says, in part, “{U}: Quicksilver Elemental gains all activated abilities of target creature until end of turn.” If it gains an ability that says “{G}: Regenerate Cudgel Troll,” activating that ability will regenerate Quicksilver Elemental, not the Cudgel Troll it gained the ability from.

So for example, you can treat Cudgel Troll's ability as being equivalent to saying "Regenerate this object" (or "regenerate whatever object this ability is on"). Quicksilver Elemental and Mairsil likewise get an ability saying "Regenerate this object", referring to themselves. The text of "Regenerate Cudgel Troll" is just more friendly to Magic's aesthetics.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-14 11:29 am 

Mirror-Mad Phantasm refers to itself the first time, and then any card named Mirror Mad Phantasm the next time. The first time would be replaced with the card name that gained the ability, but the second reference would not, as it is not self-referential.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-14 6:24 pm 

niheloim wrote:
Mirror-Mad Phantasm refers to itself the first time, and then any card named Mirror Mad Phantasm the next time. The first time would be replaced with the card name that gained the ability, but the second reference would not, as it is not self-referential.

Oh shoot, you're right!

So, since we exile Mirror-Mad Phantasm for Mairsil, we won't have another in our deck to search for. So Mairsil, the Pretender + Mirror-Mad Phantasm says "1U: Put Mairsil into your library [or the command zone], then deck yourself." :D

I guess that's a pretty good way to turn Zombie Apocalypse up to 11. (Or Twilight's Call, or Rise fo the Dark Realms, or Grimoire of the Dead, or Liliana, Death Wielder or Liliana Vess.) Laboratory Maniac would also be pleased.

...and then someone casts Containment Priest...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-15 12:05 am 

You forgot mortal combat and narcomoeba+ 2 random creatures+ Dread return :D

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-17 10:21 pm 

Bruticus wrote:
You forgot mortal combat and narcomoeba+ 2 random creatures+ Dread return :D

This just made my day. I had a god awful mortal combat legacy-legal deck back in the day that used Iname, Death Aspect. Now I can relive the janky magic with...(cue the music)... MAIRSIL KOMBAT!

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-18 2:09 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
Now I can relive the janky magic with...(cue the music)... MAIRSIL KOMBAT!

Just want to say thank you for that :D

If I ever make a Mairsil deck -- it will have the theme of "Mairsil Kombat" (as much fight stuff as I can find) and will have Mortal Combat in there somewhere :)

Offline Profile