Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Oct-18 6:33 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Two special request commanders?
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-20 5:32 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2007-Mar-28 12:38 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Omaha
The Social Contract doesn't expire when silver border cards are around.

_________________
Hypercasual and Proud

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two special request commanders?
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-20 7:53 am 

Joined: 2009-Apr-21 3:38 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Palm Springs Area, CA
Bruticus wrote:
At niheloim: a yes-no question has a yes/no answer. I don't agree with that guy personally.
They have yes/no answers when formed correctly. You cannot answer yes or no truthfully to the question "Is the next word I type after this question going to be elephant?" except to say "I don't know."

turns out the next word was except...


But really its a big BINGO on the fact that questions don't carry truth value as they are not statements. When you ask "is this statement true?" you are asking a completely nonsensical question.

_________________
3DH4L1F3


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two special request commanders?
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-20 8:13 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2010-Jul-18 9:59 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
spacemonaut wrote:
After reading all of this discussion, I think my answer would be "I'm not answering that bollocks, and if you try to pull a trick like that with me again, I'm going to ignore it. Do you want to ask me a question about my hand or plans or something instead of trying to force a win, or shall we just move on to the main phase?" :P

This. So. Much. This.

(Looks for upvote button. Fails to find and shuffles library. Passes turn.)

_________________
"Degenerate, unfun decks generally come from degenerate, unfun players in my experience." - Cthulus Thrall

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two special request commanders?
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-20 9:30 am 

Joined: 2014-Jul-26 11:35 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Carthain wrote:
specter404 wrote:
since the comp rules are unlikely to be updated to include corner case silver bordered cards we would have to consider the impact of the cards given the current rules if they were added to commander.

Why on earth should we tolerate that?

If you're bringing a silver-bordered card into a black-bordered game ... then you should treat it as if it were black bordered, and consider what actual rules would be made around that card.

For example, in silver-world, when naming a colour you can name stuff like Brown or Pink. But if you bring the same card into black-border-world, then they can only name legit magic colours -- same as any other ability that lets you name a colour.

Your analogy is flawed because "name a colour" is already a functional black bordered rule, where as frankie peanuts is not a "control target player" effect. There is no current rule to cover this situation and you are relying on the DCI to decide to update the rules in a specific way for one card used in a casual format. So when you say we need to consider what actual rules would be made around the card, that is what I am doing, but I am considering the world in which the rules made around the card are none, because that is a fairly likely situation.

_________________
Favourite Deck:
Ghost Council of Orzhova

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two special request commanders?
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-20 11:14 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2006-Dec-31 12:26 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
specter404 wrote:
Your analogy is flawed because "name a colour" is already a functional black bordered rule, where as frankie peanuts is not a "control target player" effect.

Never said it was. I said that in the situation in black-bordered world -- when it came time that one player could potentially cause another player to concede, they ruled that was not possible. Thus, that same logic should be applied when playing with Frankie.
specter404 wrote:
I am considering the world in which the rules made around the card are none, because that is a fairly likely situation.

So -- simply because there's been no official rules on it, if we house-rule it in, we shouldn't consider any other house-rules that should also be applied? That seems short-sighted to me.

I mean -- you can refuse to accept my "house-rule" that he can't make you concede ... and then I don't accept your house-rule that he's legal. :P


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two special request commanders?
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-20 1:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-Nov-27 2:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Speaking of this, Scryfall just indexed the H17 cards, so Grimlock's got high res scans available to see in all his glory: https://scryfall.com/sets/h17 (They just put out a call for these yesterday since scans hadn't surfaced yet. I'm psyched, they're gorgeous cards.)

_________________
Decks: Chaos colored dragons, Mathas, the Instigator (politics and mayhem).
Beloved precons: Atraxa, Praetors' Voice; Saskia the Unyielding; Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two special request commanders?
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-21 11:52 am 

Joined: 2014-Jul-26 11:35 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Carthain wrote:
specter404 wrote:
Your analogy is flawed because "name a colour" is already a functional black bordered rule, where as frankie peanuts is not a "control target player" effect.

Never said it was. I said that in the situation in black-bordered world -- when it came time that one player could potentially cause another player to concede, they ruled that was not possible. Thus, that same logic should be applied when playing with Frankie.
specter404 wrote:
I am considering the world in which the rules made around the card are none, because that is a fairly likely situation.

So -- simply because there's been no official rules on it, if we house-rule it in, we shouldn't consider any other house-rules that should also be applied? That seems short-sighted to me.

I mean -- you can refuse to accept my "house-rule" that he can't make you concede ... and then I don't accept your house-rule that he's legal. :P


You made an argument by analogy, by saying that this situation (frankie) is like that situation B (choose a colour) because you are combining silver/black bordered rules. An argument by analogy is based on similarities in the situations, refuting an analogy is based on pointing out the differences in the situations.

To the second point, I was assuming we were discussing the consequences of officially ruling gremlock and frankie as being legitimate commanders. House rules, as always, can be whatever the house wants them to be to maximize fun.

_________________
Favourite Deck:
Ghost Council of Orzhova

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two special request commanders?
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-21 11:55 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2006-Dec-31 12:26 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
specter404 wrote:
To the second point, I was assuming we were discussing the consequences of officially ruling gremlock and frankie as being legitimate commanders. House rules, as always, can be whatever the house wants them to be to maximize fun.

Right - but if we were to offically rule them in, we should also include the "frankie can't make you concede" rule. That's what I've been saying all along.

To suggest to simply allow a banned card into the format without looking at the consequences, or how "similar" situations are handled with the existing cards is incredibly short-sighted.

If you have the ability to make it a legit card to play, then you have the ability to add in an extra little rule to make sure people don't try to do socially un-fun things (especially since this format is all about trying to create fun experiences -- not who can cheese out their opponents.)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: papa_funk and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: