Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-22 11:13 pm

Post subject: Re: Flavor Fails and new PW Legendary rule
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-25 11:41 pm 

Nigerian Prince wrote:
Seems you're trying very hard not to understand what he means...

There's nothing wrong with promoting clear communication.

If English is not his primary language, then it can be a learning situation.

zimagic wrote:
Has anyone noticed a shift towards players controlling multiple of different versions of the same PWs?

I think my group will take advantage of it as it comes up -- but walkers tend not to stick around very long anyways, so even with the new rule change, it hasn't come up (even before the rule change, we had some decks that ran multiple of Garruk, Jace, or Nic. It's just never come up yet that the rule change would affect the board.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-26 12:14 am 

zimagic wrote:
Maybe my group is just not aggressive enough updating decks but I have yet to see one instance of that. Barring Jace / Liliana, I really cannot see the draw of pushing multiple same-character PWs onto the battlefield and I guess my group agrees.
I've got a mono-red burn deck with all the Chandras in it (already had them in before the change), so that's a thing. Also, I've got a Vampire deck that had two Sorins out at a time, but that was less likely to happen since I only have 3 Sorins in that whole deck.

I think decks with a theme that heavily fits a particular planeswalker are the ones most likely to see this happen, but I doubt it'll affect deckbuilding - usually you're putting all the good ones in anyway.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-27 7:58 am 

I also stick to one instance of any legendary creature or planeswalker, out of a sense of "logic" and "making sense" that really doesn't go far enough. I've thought about it, and why I'm not okay having two Jaces on the field, but I am okay casting dead Venser, or a printing of a planeswalker/legend that doesn't reflect as close to present day as possible. Is it less lore-friendly to cast a pre-curse Garruk or any Elspeth at all, than it is to have five Jaces on the field? It probably isn't - and now I liken it to the Flash tv series, where Flash has a surprising knack for having multiple versions of himself in the same encounter zone. In a universe where magic makes anything possible, I don't think Jace 2 would bat an eye at Jace 3 and 4 stopping by to help - in fact, I think he'd appreciate dependable help he could count on. Or, maybe Mind Sculptor would look at Living Guild Pact and off himself on seeing what he's to become? Who knows? I still stick to one of a character, nonetheless.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-29 10:35 am 

So -- had a situation the other night what wouldn't have happened before the planeswalkers became legendary.

I had out Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker as well as Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh at the same time.

This elicited one or two comments about "I hate this new rule." Fortunately, nobody got in a big huff or anything.

Less fortunately, it caused someone to play Planar Cleansing on their next turn. (Which, with how that game was going, may have happened even if only one copy of Bolas was out.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-29 6:34 pm 

One flavor option I've come across for interpreting multiples of the same unique individual on the battlefield (multiple Chandras, multiple Odrics, etc) is to see them as multiple aspects of the same ally.

Helpfully Planeswalker cards don't represent the sum total of all of a Planeswalker's abilities at any one time, they're just a small slice.

If you have more than one Chandra out, it's not necessarily multiple different people from different places in the timeline -- but it's Chandra bringing new tricks to the foreground. Multiple Garruks means Garruk is willing to do tons more stuff to summon a virtual avalanche of beasties to your side.

If you have both Samut, Voice of Dissent and Samut, the Tested out, you don't necessarily have the same pre-ignition and post-ignition individual -- you just have Samut, now a planeswalker, who is still happy to do whatever it is that results in them giving other creatures haste or untapping them. Likewise Narset Transcendent would still be happy to kung fu stuff in the face, plus cast tons of junk for you, via Narset, Enlightened Master.

Multiple Odrics (Odric, Lunarch Marshal and Odric, Master Tactician) are just doing twice the tactics for you & twice the punching people in the face. (He's tactical, he can do that.)

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-29 10:23 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
If you have more than one Chandra out, it's not necessarily multiple different people from different places in the timeline -- but it's Chandra bringing new tricks to the foreground. Multiple Garruks means Garruk is willing to do tons more stuff to summon a virtual avalanche of beasties to your side.

If you have both Samut, Voice of Dissent and Samut, the Tested out, you don't necessarily have the same pre-ignition and post-ignition individual -- you just have Samut, now a planeswalker, who is still happy to do whatever it is that results in them giving other creatures haste or untapping them. Likewise Narset Transcendent would still be happy to kung fu stuff in the face, plus cast tons of junk for you, via Narset, Enlightened Master.

Multiple Odrics (Odric, Lunarch Marshal and Odric, Master Tactician) are just doing twice the tactics for you & twice the punching people in the face. (He's tactical, he can do that.)

What happens when I attack one of the Chandras? Or Murder one of the Odrics?

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-29 11:44 pm 

Swmystery wrote:
What happens when I attack one of the Chandras? Or Murder one of the Odrics?

The normal rules stuff happens, and we consider that aspect of that character to be gone. I don't have an answer to resolve "but you murdered them!" since this is only trying to narratively resolve one part of the puzzle. (My fuller perspective is on page 2 — basically don't let this stuff run the game ever and don't sweat it too much.)

Online Profile