Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 7:41 pm

Post subject: Re: Silver Bordered Cards, a Civil Discussion
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-06 12:53 am 

Viperion wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:
Or it's like using a paper shredder to grate your carrots
I have nothing meaningful to contribute to this conversation (it's been said by many people already) but I just wanted to comment on the unusual way your brain works. Good job sir, good job.

My shredder.

I mean, my pleasure.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 3:20 am 

papa_funk wrote:
neosloth wrote:
I think that OP's statement is assuming a bit too much, but I feel like this change has summoned a few more complaints than usual.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Go back and look at the tuck freakout sometime.

Too soon, bruh. Too soon. Some of us still haven't gotten over that one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 3:41 am 

cryogen wrote:
papa_funk wrote:

Really? Tuck not working as previous has mattered a grand total of zero times in our playgroup.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 6:54 am 

zimagic wrote:
cryogen wrote:
papa_funk wrote:

Really? Tuck not working as previous has mattered a grand total of zero times in our playgroup.

Hinder and Mystic/Vamp Tutor Terminus was a staple in my groups. :shrug:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 10:57 am 

sometimes I really miss it, sometimes not so much.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 11:48 am 

I don't know. The 'un' thing has always seemed to be something I should pay no attention to. In a world of too many sets a year of cards that are legal for mainstream formats it's a set that is mainly only ever played at release events and never again. And I'm one of those that don't place any weight on full art lands (give white border land every time). I feels a bit like letting proxies into the meta; stuff that nobody owns, nobody knows, nobody cares, and never expect to encounter.
My primary experience of un sets was playing a nice civilised game of standard while 50 grown men were shouting "I'm the King of the World!". Very clever.
Bah humbug!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 8:39 pm 

OldVig wrote:
I don't know. The 'un' thing has always seemed to be something I should pay no attention to...I feels a bit like letting proxies into the meta; stuff that nobody owns, nobody knows, nobody cares, and never expect to encounter.

Be wary of projecting your own experiences onto the format at large. I know a lot of people who own, know, and definitely care about silver-bordered Magic. Why shouldn't they get to have fun for a month?

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Marisi, Breaker of the Coil (Naya Midrange).
Mathas, Fiend Seeker (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-09 12:25 am 

Swmystery wrote:
Be wary of projecting your own experiences onto the format at large. I know a lot of people who own, know, and definitely care about silver-bordered Magic. Why shouldn't they get to have fun for a month?

Yes, quite right. Sadly my meta just scrapes along barely surviving.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-10 9:14 am 

I like the using silver border cards in commander

Just look at all the cards and find ones that work with the format like AWOL

And ban cards that don’t work or are to strong like cards the use Contraption cards Or Phoebe, head of S.N.E.A.K.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-10 12:07 pm 

I'm less bothered by cards like Pheobe than by cards that introduce things that shouldn't be part of magic play, like fractions or random external props or interference from people that aren't part of the game.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 10:33 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I'm less bothered by cards like Pheobe than by cards that introduce things that shouldn't be part of magic play, like fractions or random external props or interference from people that aren't part of the game.

I understand why some people don't like the more "external" cards, but I keep seeing fractions lumped in with them. What's the objection to fractions? They're a little goofy, but for the most part they produce intuitive Magic results. They don't seem any worse than some of the more out-there black border mechanics.

What makes them so problematic?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 10:49 am 

I think because they're fiddly and 90.3% of the time are irrelevant

( :P )

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 3:22 pm 

papa_funk wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

I understand why some people don't like the more "external" cards, but I keep seeing fractions lumped in with them. What's the objection to fractions? They're a little goofy, but for the most part they produce intuitive Magic results. They don't seem any worse than some of the more out-there black border mechanics.

What makes them so problematic?

Problematic is probably the wrong word to use here. I would go with "Annoying". They do things that aren't meant to happen in magic but really don't add anything interesting to the game. They break the rules for the sake of breaking the rules, rather than to do something that's actually fun. They've made quite a few un-cards that actually break the rules in interesting ways. Fractions don't hold up.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 7:55 pm 

What's really problematic for me, is figuring out how to convince my play groups to let me keep playing Crow Storm after Un-season ends :-)

Because of the whole Christmas and New Year thingy, I'm affraid we're not going to get more than two or three game nights the coming month, I wouldn't be surprised if I never see a silver bordered card during it's short legal life.

I understand the frustration of competitive EDH players however. But know that this is what Standard and Modern players go through all the time. Cards are legal, then they aren't anymore, sometimes they become legal again, ... Like it or not, it's only about six weeks, if you really don't want to play this way, take a mini sabbatical and think about new decks, try some Iconic Masters drafting perhaps, and sit it out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-12 10:19 am 

cuz math is harder for some of us with needing to toss fractions into the mix.....I honestly have trouble from time to time figuring out my life total after taking damage.

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile