Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Silver Bordered Cards, a Civil Discussion
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-17 9:58 am 

Jammed 45 silver bordered cards into my Damia deck and played a couple of games; didn't exactly break anything (but then again, I was pretty much playing every Unhinged/Unstable card I had that would work in Sultai). Managed to win game two with a last-minute 29/29 Hydradoodle, winning when I was on ½ a life point thanks to a Wet Willie of the Damned much earlier in the game :D

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 2:27 am 

I shoved a couple of zombies and Over my Dead Bodies into my UB zombies build. Man, is that thing a beating!! When you already have normal "on the in-play battlefield" attacking and draining as two seperate win axis, adding attacking from the graveyard to a deck that likes to have lots of creatures in their graveyard is just gravy. Now they need to answer the OMDB in some way or have specific cards that remove my graveyard. Even Grafdigger's Cage is powerless to stop it. Really enjoyed the interaction and will be sorry to see it rotate out.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-03 2:45 am 

zimagic wrote:
I shoved a couple of zombies and Over my Dead Bodies into my UB zombies build. Man, is that thing a beating!! When you already have normal "on the in-play battlefield" attacking and draining as two seperate win axis, adding attacking from the graveyard to a deck that likes to have lots of creatures in their graveyard is just gravy. Now they need to answer the OMDB in some way or have specific cards that remove my graveyard. Even Grafdigger's Cage is powerless to stop it. Really enjoyed the interaction and will be sorry to see it rotate out.

Same. That card is an absolute gem.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-09 12:26 pm 

Other than accidentally being able to two card win the game with very cryptic command and twincast (draw everyone elses cards by copying very cryptic as many times as I need to) Silver cards have been fun and interesting.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-11 6:49 pm 

so, this past week, I almost killed a player who saved his bacon with a very cryptic command so that was a fun game. As a group we have decided to allow sliver boarder cards as long as the person playing them isn't being a dick about it.

We're going to keep in place the uncards banned under this grace period.

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 10:37 pm 

Sorry for reviving this thread, but this seems to be the go-to one for discussing silver-bordered cards, so I guess it's better than opening a seperate thread.

It seems to me that the majority of silver-bordered cards do things that aren't considered by the standard rules of Magic, and thus, as long as Commander is supposed to remain restricted to those rules, those cards can't be legal.

However, there are some silver-bordered cards - I'm pretty sure they're in the minority - that do perfectly normal things.

My favourite one being: Uktabi Kong

(Which, if I'm informed correctly, is actually even the username of one of the rules-committee members here? ;) )

On the other hand, Steamflogger Boss is Commander-legal, even though he only interacts with a card subtype that is exclusively present in silver-bordered cards.

Consequently, from a pragmatic standpoint, it makes absolutely no sense that Steamflogger Boss can be played in commander while Uktabi Kong can't ;) .

I wonder if it's actually possible to cross-border reprint a card; Steamflogger Boss was literally the only black-bordered card in Unstable, aside from the basic lands. If Wizards had reprinted him with a silver border, would that have made him non-tournament-legal in hindsight? :D Likewise, if they were to reprint Uktabi Kong in a Commander precon or so, that would make him legal, right? Even if I were to use the original, silver-bordered version. Just like in Pauper, where the rarity symbol of my version can be silver as long as the card has been printed with a black rarity symbol anywhere else... (okay, that wasn't the best analogy, I admit ;) ).

Bottom line is: Since the majority of silver-bordered cards do things outside the regular game mechanics, but there are some that do stick to those standard restrictions, couldn't we create a "reverse banlist" (not to be confused with the reserved list ;) ) of the few, explicitly Commander-playable silver-bordered cards?

The status quo for silver-bordered cards would still be "not legal", in other words "not legal unless stated otherwise". That's much shorter and more efficient than legalising all silver-bordered cards and then banning 95% of them.

Unless you want to make the case that, in such a scenario, Uktabi Kong specifically should be banned again right away because it goes infinite with Doubling Season / Parallel Lives / Anointed Procession... :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 7:28 am 

Strato Incendus wrote:
My favourite one being: Uktabi Kong

(Which, if I'm informed correctly, is actually even the username of one of the rules-committee members here? ;)
As flattered as I am, I am not a member of the rules committee.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 8:18 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
As flattered as I am, I am not a member of the rules committee.
WHEW :lol:

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 11:18 am 

Why not just ask the people you're playing with if they mind silver border cards? I still have The Big Idea and the Grand Calcutron built, and still pull them out occasionally.

Nothing keeping you from the same. I love the weirdness they interject into the games. I do avoid all the fractional cards though. They cause too much of a headache.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 10:40 pm 

@Uktabi_Kong: Oops, must have misread or misremembered that then! :lol:

Quote:
Why not just ask the people you're playing with if they mind silver border cards?

Well, not silver-bordered cards in general, just Uktabi Kong specifically! :mrgreen:

They surely wouldn't mind, at least not in the context of an Ape tribal deck. At least, Dominaria finally gave us a legendary Ape in the form of Grunn, the Lonely King. However, there are only 26 Apes in Magic in total as of now, and it would take a Gruul commander in order to even be able to play them all. So sadly, it's probably a little too early for that.

If however I were to frame it as "Hey, mind if I put in this big green monkey so that I can overwhelm you all with an infinite combo?", then probably not... :twisted:

Because I've actually built a casual deck with Uktabi Kong and 4x Parallel Lives based on exactly that. And of course, that's the main reason I want to dissolve it - Parallel Lives is just a great card in so many EDH decks, and having four copies of it lying around in a seldomly-used casual deck is kind of a waste. But at the same time, the whole idea of the deck is just too hilarious to dissolve it in its entirety without any proper replacement.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 3:07 am 

My buddy's got a Goblin Bookie in his Zndrsplt/Okaun deck. None of our playgroup has a problem with it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-13 5:00 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I haven't taken Giant Fan out of my Skullbriar deck. I don't think anyone has noticed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-14 10:37 am 

papa_funk wrote:
I haven't taken Giant Fan out of my Skullbriar deck. I don't think anyone has noticed.
Honest question : Do you ask people if Silver Boarder is OK before the game starts? Because that seems weird they wouldn't notice.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-14 11:11 am 
EDH Rules Committee

MRHblue wrote:
papa_funk wrote:
Honest question : Do you ask people if Silver Boarder is OK before the game starts? Because that seems weird they wouldn't notice.

Oh, I'd never play it in a group who weren't totally on board. It's not a deck I pull out a lot much any more, so it doesn't come to wider gatherings.

Offline Profile