Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 6:28 pm

Post subject: Re: Commander damage?
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-21 3:20 am 

The RC could get rid of it and it wouldn't bother me too much. I would feel sad for Voltron commanders though.

However, a tweak I think they should make would be for each player to just have to keep track one Commander damage value instead of one from each Commander. For example, if I hit you with my 3/3 Commander and someone else hits you with her 5/5 Commander, you would have 8 commander damage total (out of 21) instead of 3 from me and 5 from her.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-22 4:53 am 

Carthain wrote:
spacemonaut: That sounds fairly elegant. I might have to try it some time. (I think next EDH night is this coming Friday...)

Sid the Chicken wrote:
The number would need to be higher than 21 IMO, or it would unbalance things.
I agree with that.

Maybe something like 60 (roughly 3 opponents all hitting you with commander damage)... Although, it sort of seems 60 is a bit more unwieldy than 21 (due to the pervasive nature of d20s these days.)

40 seems like the number for me. Matching the starting life reads a lot like “damage from commanders can’t be healed.” At 60 I feel like there just isn’t any point for having it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-31 4:13 pm 

In a format that can be heavily populated with durdly decks, I think commander damage often goes a long way toward pushing games toward a conclusion. If nothing else, I'd say it should stay because of that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-31 4:43 pm 

My voltron deck has come close to killing at least one player via commander damage, if it were removed as others have pointed out, i'd have to take part the deck or just let it gather dust. I'm the only player in our group who has a voltron deck and I enjoy playing it even if keep track of how much damage Akiri, Line-Slinger can be annoying with Golem-Skin Gauntlets

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-01 1:32 pm 

Removing an entire Archetype for some book-keeping issues?

Hard pass, thank you!

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-02 4:55 am 

cheethorne wrote:
The RC could get rid of it and it wouldn't bother me too much. I would feel sad for Voltron commanders though.

This would invalidate 10 of the decks I've built, and 3 of the ones I'm going to build. How about not?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-05 7:11 am 

JJackson wrote:
Carthain wrote:
spacemonaut: That sounds fairly elegant. I might have to try it some time. (I think next EDH night is this coming Friday...)

Sid the Chicken wrote:
The number would need to be higher than 21 IMO, or it would unbalance things.
I agree with that.

Maybe something like 60 (roughly 3 opponents all hitting you with commander damage)... Although, it sort of seems 60 is a bit more unwieldy than 21 (due to the pervasive nature of d20s these days.)

40 seems like the number for me. Matching the starting life reads a lot like “damage from commanders can’t be healed.” At 60 I feel like there just isn’t any point for having it.

My play group regularly has 7-9 player games, and long ago (before the first commander decks came out) decided to track commander damage universally (total from all commanders). It works great as 21. 90% of the time it is relevant a single commander did 21 or more damage and no one has ever complained about the other times. I wouldn’t change it to 40, that would kill voltron, try it with commander damage being universal at 21 for a while and see if it is actually a problem. I doubt you will find it to be one.

Offline Profile