Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 6:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brawl -.standard legal EDH
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-05 4:36 pm 

No hybrid mana still works the same way in Brawl as it does in Commander.

Source: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/search/brawl+hybrid

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-10 1:12 am 

I really don't like it at all

I understand that WoTc wants to sell boosters and the average EDH player does not buy selead products except for the Commander ones, so with that in mind If WOTC wants to sell boosters they can give us commander boosters, not designed for draft play, just with EDH reprints, with not many modern or legacy staplets, only EDH stapalets, in that way we can have access to cards that would be worthless and unplayable if not for EDH but they are expensive because of EDH and the low print count.

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
K'rrik, son of yawgmoth The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-10 3:35 am 

Himetic wrote:
tgambitg wrote:
They may be weak commanders, but they can also be fun commanders to play, so why should they be excluded?

They AREN'T! They just have to play 18 lands - and potentially more after dominaria and whatever comes next. There are lots of decks that play 18 lands or fewer on PURPOSE.

Also I guess it's personally preference but they both look incredibly boring to me. Karn has more legs than hope but at the end of the day 2 of his abilities just draw cards, which is already available on loads of other planeswalkers.

Outside of legacy and vintage very few decks run 18 lands and those that do are extremely low curve aggro lists (where the most expensive card is 3 mana). The absolute lowest cmc curve you could get with standard card pool is 1.59 and that is assuming you run every 0 drop, every 1 drop and fill the rest with 2 drops.

You have amazing cards as
-ornithopter (which is like mox amber but does something I guess)
-traveler's amulet (it's like renegade map but comes into untapped!!1!1)
-Eager Construct (a bear with an upside?)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-10 10:17 am 

alexev wrote:
the average EDH player does not buy selead products except for the Commander ones

Do you have any data that backs that up?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-10 10:18 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
alexev wrote:
the average EDH player does not buy selead products except for the Commander ones

Anecdotal, but my FLGS sells almost nothing but singles to 90% of the Commander players. Just about the only Commander players who buy packs are those who also play Standard.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-11 1:28 am 

I'm certainly going to buy sealed products of Dominaria... mostly because I want pretty multiples of virtually every uncommon or higher card in the set for EDH.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-11 3:46 am 

Willbender wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
alexev wrote:

Anecdotal, but my FLGS sells almost nothing but singles to 90% of the Commander players. Just about the only Commander players who buy packs are those who also play Standard.

My evidence is "Anecdotal evidence" (in scientific terms) wich is different from the "empyrical evidence" and of course is biased

When I say "the average EDH player" I mean the average of my "universe" or people I know that play EDH, most of them (the mayority) does not buy sealed products unless they are commander focused.

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
K'rrik, son of yawgmoth The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-11 3:54 am 

The sometimes-drafter has to do a lot of work to turn their draft piles into Standard decks - especially if they want them to be competitive.

Brawl appears to give those players a way to turn those draft piles into decks much more quickly and easily.

Likewise, there will be a lot of players that can turn their extra cards after cracking a box into a Brawl deck.

And I like the idea of a format that is casually oriented but also structured in a way that will fit between rounds at events. An enjoyable game of Commander with 4+ players doesn't usually fit between rounds.

My only complaint about the format is that post-rotation Standard cards need a casual home too, and Brawl doesn't provide.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-12 12:14 pm 

illuknisaa wrote:
Himetic wrote:
tgambitg wrote:
They may be weak commanders, but they can also be fun commanders to play, so why should they be excluded?

They AREN'T! They just have to play 18 lands - and potentially more after dominaria and whatever comes next. There are lots of decks that play 18 lands or fewer on PURPOSE.

Also I guess it's personally preference but they both look incredibly boring to me. Karn has more legs than hope but at the end of the day 2 of his abilities just draw cards, which is already available on loads of other planeswalkers.

Outside of legacy and vintage very few decks run 18 lands and those that do are extremely low curve aggro lists (where the most expensive card is 3 mana). The absolute lowest cmc curve you could get with standard card pool is 1.59 and that is assuming you run every 0 drop, every 1 drop and fill the rest with 2 drops.

You have amazing cards as
-ornithopter (which is like mox amber but does something I guess)
-traveler's amulet (it's like renegade map but comes into untapped!!1!1)
-Eager Construct (a bear with an upside?)

And we just got another new Colorless Brawl/EDH Commander, and this one looks pretty nice..

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-12 1:12 pm 

I like :)

Where's Kroog? What's it's "thing"?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-12 6:51 pm 

Viperion wrote:
I like :)

Where's Kroog? What's it's "thing"?

Kroog was a city on Dominaria. Its thing was getting wiped out by Mishra's dragon engines, of which Traxos seems to be one. That's described in the flavor text of Dragon Engine and Yorian Soldier.

"Got wiped out by magic robot dragons" is a pretty cool thing, but as we can imagine, only as long as it's someone else's thing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-10 4:50 am 

Ask and ye shall receive. Colourless Brawl Commanders are allowed to choose and play a single basic land type if they choose.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/future-brawl-2018-05-10

And some unbannings, some bannings, looks like something for everyone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-15 4:21 am 

Also in case you like the idea, but not the Standard part :

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/brandonis ... nal-brawl/

Brawl that is eterrnall, but also has the same typee of restriction: One standard 'rotation'.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-15 5:32 am 

I like the idea of Brawl, but not the current execution. Once there are enough newer sets out there, I think Dominaria should be the starting point, and I think it shouldn't rotate anymore after that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-15 7:35 am 

majikal wrote:
I like the idea of Brawl, but not the current execution. Once there are enough newer sets out there, I think Dominaria should be the starting point, and I think it shouldn't rotate anymore after that.
You're missing the point of the format - WotC aren't trying to invent "Modern Commander" they're trying to push a variant where you can take your draft pool and start making a Brawl deck out of it. They want all the Brawl-legal cards to be the most recent sets so new players have the same card pool to build their decks out of as veteran players and you don't run into the "I've been playing for years so I've got all the best cards from when the format was invented" problem that would happen with a non-rotating format.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next