Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-21 12:25 am

Post subject: Vehicle Commander
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-02 6:01 am 

I don't see it on the forum - so thought I would toss it out there as there is actually a Vehicle worth making commander (Weatherlight).

Is there any official ruling on if Vehicles can be your commander? You are obviously restricted to colorless so it would not be any different than any other artifact creature commander. I suspect the answer is no - but thought I would toss it out there to get shot down regardless.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Vehicle Commander
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-02 6:51 am 

Officially, you must choose a legendary creature, or one of the five legal planeswalker commanders.

But talk to your playgroup and ask if they're okay with it. House rules and commanders are part of this format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-02 7:20 am 

Yeah, the official answer is 'no' as it's not a Legendary Creature Card.

But, this is also exactly what house rules are for. As you point out - not really any worse than a colourless commander, so just ask your group if they mind, and if they do either have a back up commander for the deck, or a back up deck to play until you can browbeat them to let you play your vehicle commander :)

I think doing a 5-colour(?) deck with the Weatherlight as your commander could be very flavorful. As it wouldn't just be colourless, it'd require a bit more persuading ... but I'd be down for it so long as it (mostly) stuck on theme.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-03 12:36 pm 

Yup. This falls right in there with Genju of the Realm and Elbrus, the Binding Blade. Flavorfuly appropriate as a commander, but does not work within the rules as one.

Talk to your playgroup, or the players at any table you sit down to at the FLGS, and odds are they'll OK it. Just be prepared with another deck in case they don't.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-14 12:48 pm 

Willbender wrote:
Just be prepared with another deck in case they don't.

Or at least with an alternate general.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile