Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-25 10:58 pm

Post subject: Many old cards are spiking in price
AgePosted: 2018-May-02 7:27 am 

Hi

I'm wondering what is the price threshold to ban cards? Many old card prices are spiking like crazy right now and purchasing them is getting impossible without lottery jackpot.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Many old cards are spiking in price
AgePosted: 2018-May-02 8:03 am 

Pifase wrote:
I'm wondering what is the price threshold to ban cards? Many old card prices are spiking like crazy right now and purchasing them is getting impossible without lottery jackpot.

There is no threshold. While price of cards are sometimes considered in the RC's decisions for banning a card, it is never the primary reason.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-02 5:19 pm 

Pifase wrote:

The RC has indicated it is not something they expect to use as a ban criteria again, due to the additional criteria of the card being 'iconic' as well as expensive.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-03 6:17 am 

Pifase wrote:
purchasing them is getting impossible

If they get banned you might be able to purchase them, but then you still don't get to play with them. So what's the point?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-03 6:58 am 

As a collector: please do!

Cards spiking is a sign of interest in them, apparently someone is buying. This is a good sign of the game being healthy.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-03 10:01 am 

pi wrote:

Cards spiking is a sign of interest in them, apparently someone is buying. This is a good sign of the game being healthy.

As someone pointed out to me tonight ...
Die young, leave a beautiful magic card collection :P

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-04 4:32 am 

pi wrote:

I don't think thats it. A lot of cards on the reserve list and Expedition-type prints are being bought out to inflate the price. Then spec buyers are selling out to make a profit, and price memory keeps them up some.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-05 5:28 pm 

It's not so much a pump and dump as it is long term holds i think. I also really think that it is not collectors or players, but people who are looking for other collectibles to invest in after crypto.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-06 3:14 am 
EDH Rules Committee

From the format philosophy document:

"Creates a Perceived High Barrier to Entry. Commander is a socially welcoming format with a vast cardpool. These two traits clash when it comes to certain early Magic cards, even if they would possibly be acceptable in their game play. It's not enough that the card is simply expensive. It must also be something that would be near-universally played if available and contribute to a perception that the format is only for the Vintage audience."

Odds of a card not currently on the list joining are basically nil.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-06 3:53 am 

Sovarius wrote:
It's not so much a pump and dump as it is long term holds i think. I also really think that it is not collectors or players, but people who are looking for other collectibles to invest in after crypto.
It could be, but I see a lot of people on selling groups selling 10X of something after it climbs. They could be old holders getting out, but it seems like its the same folks a lot of the time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-06 5:28 am 

MRHblue wrote:
They could be old holders getting out, but it seems like its the same folks a lot of the time.

It's mostly this. The amount of people able to perform buyouts is much lower than the amount of people who had a mox diamond spike. But everyone wants to try to take advantage of it. Lot of people trying to vulture out some extra dollars and score $475 on a mox diamond before they (predictably) cool to $250 again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-07 11:48 am 

Sovarius wrote:
MRHblue wrote:
They could be old holders getting out, but it seems like its the same folks a lot of the time.

It's mostly this. The amount of people able to perform buyouts is much lower than the amount of people who had a mox diamond spike. But everyone wants to try to take advantage of it. Lot of people trying to vulture out some extra dollars and score $475 on a mox diamond before they (predictably) cool to $250 again.

Where did you see Mox Diamonds for $475? Mid via magiccards.info has them around $280. And while they may drop a little, the price memory for RL cards especially is too strong for things that have spiked to eventually resettle at pre-spike prices. The first mox diamond spike two years ago jumped them into the $150 range from between $50 and $75. They never fell that low again. Altar of Bone was a $1 card at best before it got spiked to $11 and while it has not maintained that absurd price, they're currently sitting around $5 and that card would never be played in Legacy, unlike Mox Diamond.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-07 2:25 pm 

You don't see them for $475 because that was never a 'real' price people were actually paying, and vendors pull their stuff relist higher etc. And they already cooled like i said.

At one point there were 5 copies of FTV Mox Diamond on TCG for $475, 500, 550, and like 700 and 800 or something ridiculous. But buyouts typically cool. But at that moment the listed median was 550 so there were the guys on facebook "Hey moxes are $555 now, buy mine for $450 great deal!" yeah no thanks. But the insane median price comes from total buyouts when there are an actual 5 copies on there.

Which is why i hate median. People pretty much use that only out of ignorance or trying to cheat people. Sad that market price updates slowly compared to the rate of buyouts and how they settle.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-08 6:34 am 

papa_funk wrote:
From the format philosophy document:

"Creates a Perceived High Barrier to Entry. Commander is a socially welcoming format with a vast cardpool. These two traits clash when it comes to certain early Magic cards, even if they would possibly be acceptable in their game play. It's not enough that the card is simply expensive. It must also be something that would be near-universally played if available and contribute to a perception that the format is only for the Vintage audience."

Odds of a card not currently on the list joining are basically nil.

Has the wording on this changed recently (within the past year)?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-17 1:50 am 

MRHblue wrote:
pi wrote:

I don't think thats it. A lot of cards on the reserve list and Expedition-type prints are being bought out to inflate the price. Then spec buyers are selling out to make a profit, and price memory keeps them up some.

So, if nobody is buying: how would they sell out?

It's always a combination of factors. Some may try a pump and dump, others buy for a long term hold, again others buy to collect or play. There's no one answer to what exactly is happening but the net result is that few are on the market. Sellers notice these are selling and change their prices accordingly if they have any. This triggers a snowball effect where other sellers also adjust and as not everyone wants to be lowest it goes higher and higher. At some point there's a realization that the cards aren't selling and then the price starts moving downward in the same way until a new plateau is reached where supply meets demand. Usually this is higher than where it started as people have realized that they've missed out and that they better buy before it jumps again. Next time a card jumps the same happens all over.

You might argue that this is price inflation and that Magic would be better off without it, but it's not really something you can avoid in an open market. It also keeps cards in circulation; as someone who has been actively trading for over 20 years, back in the day we really couldn't get everything but the people trying to buy up cards are also those picking up collections and digging out the odd cards that jumped. Finally this also keeps Magic a good investment, few hobbies exist where you can get as much or more out as you put in.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile