Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-19 1:08 am

Post subject: Re: Why Isn't There an Official 100 Life Cap Rule for Commander?
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-18 2:15 am 

I lost a game last week with my Brion deck due to commander damage after I had amassed over 100 life.

Personally, I'm against adding more rules that diverge from the core rules of the game. I believe the RC feels similarly as they recently changed the rule on colored mana production on similar grounds.

I would suggest building in some alternate win cons/infect/commander damage/combo into your decks if life gain strategies are dominating your meta.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-21 3:55 am 

Remove Commander Damage and add a 100 cap life would be the best thing for me.

CD is too complicated and terrible to track, it is a over complicated rule to prevent one simple problem.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-22 8:42 am 

HeliaXDemoN wrote:

CD is too complicated and terrible to track, it is a over complicated rule to prevent one simple problem.
Its an entire archetype of decks. Voltron is a strong part of the format.
And its not to combat one simple problem.
An artificial cap on life is an arbitrary 'fix' to a problem that does not exist.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-23 10:16 pm 

HeliaXDemoN wrote:

Keep four or so colored spindown dice. The format isn't going to change because you're too lazy to keep track of something simple.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-24 5:50 am 

MRHblue wrote:
HeliaXDemoN wrote:
An artificial cap on life is an arbitrary 'fix' to a problem that does not exist.

Worse than that, it's a "fix" that doesn't even work. If you're at 100+ life, odds are you're able to gain life constantly, turn after turn. Also, if you're at 100+ life, that means you're gaining life faster than opponents can hurt you. A life cap is meaningless as you'll just keep going back to the life cap on your turn, anyway.

That leaves us with the case where an opponent can take all your life in a single turn. However, if an opponent can hit you for 100 damage in a turn, odds are they've effectively gone infinite, and could kill you whatever your life total was.

So, basically, you've solved nothing but a few edge cases that very seldom happen (one-off lifegain loop that can't repeat, or a non-infinite power build to 100+ that's not interrupted), while not addressing the decks that you want to actually keep in check (constant lifegain, multiple or repeatable infinite lifegain). And to do so, you'll sacrifice an entire deck archetype (Voltron).

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-25 2:41 am 

HeliaXDemoN wrote:

I'm pretty sure my Tasigur control deck would be nigh-invincible in that format.

As others have stated spin down D20's are your friends. I always sit down with one for each opponent next to the dice I use to keep track of my life.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-14 11:46 am 

I have a life counter app on my phone - that I got for free, mind you - that tracks life, poison and commander damage for up to four players. Tracking commander damage is not excessive bookkeeping. Having a Cathars' Crusade in play for too long is excessive bookkeeping.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 3:50 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I have a life counter app on my phone - that I got for free, mind you - that tracks life, poison and commander damage for up to four players. Tracking commander damage is not excessive bookkeeping. Having a Cathars' Crusade in play for too long is excessive bookkeeping.

As someone who uses the same app, it also has card searches and saveable game arrangements. There's not much that MTG Familiar doesn't do.

As someone who runs Cathars' Crusade, it's only excessive in a token deck!

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 5:41 am 

Cathar’s Crusade isn’t so bad... it’s when you combine t with Mycoloth that things get a bit out of hand.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile