Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-25 9:47 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Banning cards only as commander.
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-22 3:22 am 

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about that for a while now and since Wizards adopted this for their Brawl banlist, I know I'm not the only one.
Cite: "In the future we'll consider the option of banning problematic commanders but leaving them legal for main-deck play, ..." https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/future-brawl-2018-05-10.

So my question is, was it considered by the council and what do you all think about splitting the banlist into cards that are banned from the format entirely and ones that are banned only from being the commander?

The downside to the change is obvious. A two part banlist would be more complex and confusing. We are a far spread community of more or less casual players. Many don't even know the current banlist. Would it be worth it?

I predict it wouldn't be all to bad. It's is a pretty natural progression, when learning the format, to recognize the special position the card in the commandzone holds and to see how powerful that access is. A special banlist for them is just a logical conclusion.
I myself am a advocate for small banlists in general. There is a reason why commander is an eternal format. We like building crazy concoctions using cards from all over the history of magic, from unlimited to the most recent set. It's great to be able to combine all cards you acquired as a kid and those you opened at the last prerelease. So it would be great to welcome a few cards back into he format that are just to unfun or oppressive as commander but would be fine as singleton in the 99. And surely there is a difference between having access to a card always on curve and even after removal and having to draw or tutor for it and losing it for ever when it is exiled.

Are there possible candidates to unban as part of the main deck? Creatures I think would be fine as part of the 99 are Braids, Cabal Minion, Erayo, Soratami Ascendant, Leovold, Emissary of Trest and Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary. But this list is surely discussable, since I don't know every possible interaction.

Best regards,
seriaon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Banning cards only as commander.
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-22 5:08 am 

Commander already had that. It was done away with years ago.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-22 5:40 am 

RIP BaaC list. And tuck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-22 7:32 am 

Here's a link to the announcement of getting rid of the "Banned as a Commander" list. It provides a bit of information about why it was done, and what considerations they had to do because of it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-22 7:52 am 

I didn't know that, that was about the time when I was introduced to the format and didn't follow the rules yet. Thank you very much for that information :)

Is there a banlist including the banlist criteria, the card was banned for, or do I have to check the anouncements for that knowledge?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-22 8:44 am 

seriaon wrote:
Is there a banlist including the banlist criteria, the card was banned for, or do I have to check the anouncements for that knowledge?
You would have to look at each ban announcement, there is not a compiled list.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-22 11:38 am 

MRHblue wrote:
seriaon wrote:
You would have to look at each ban announcement, there is not a compiled list.

Ahem. https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... ulings-faq

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-23 1:32 pm 

banned as commander should come back, it was never as complicated as it was made out to be anyway.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-23 3:04 pm 

In theory I'd agree, but in practice I don't see any point. All of the currently banned generals are cards that honestly just don't belong in the format. Braids exists almost exclusively to make games less fun, Rofellos is incredibly undercosted and overpowered, Erayo is both of the above, and Leovold is all of the above multiplied by six and adding a few more problems, and I don't think I need to go into the deal with Emmy and Gris.

On the reverse end, I don't think there are any currently legal generals that should be banned, and most of more contentious cases are cards like Iona or tutor generals that I'd rather have banned from the entire format anyway.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-24 12:47 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I answered this question recently: http://www.starcitygames.com/articles/3 ... -Me--.html

Scroll down to the Braids image.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-24 1:11 am 

papa_funk wrote:
I answered this question recently: http://www.starcitygames.com/articles/3 ... -Me--.html

Scroll down to the Braids image.

But not my recurring nightmare question. :cry:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-14 11:40 am 

Gath Immortal wrote:
banned as commander should come back, it was never as complicated as it was made out to be anyway.

No, it wasn't terribly complicated, but eliminating it does streamline the rules, and frankly, of the three that were on the BaaC list, Braids, Cabal Minion and Erayo are 10 pounds of nope in a 5 pound bag no matter what way you slice it, and as for Rofellos, he's not AS bad in the 99, but I can't say I miss him either.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 5:51 am 

I miss Rofellos, mostly because I would want to play it in Selvala, but my friend's Sisay deck doesn't need anymore help, so I'm okay with him staying banned.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 6:25 am 

Braids and Erayo weren't that bad in the 99. Certainly no worse than some of the other crap we have at our disposal in the 99.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 7:44 am 

Erayo definitely was “that bad” in the 99. Every game I’ve played he either didn’t do anything or basically ruined everything for everyone but his caster. Leaning pretty far toward the “ruining the game” end of that spectrum.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next