Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-18 9:00 pm

Post subject: Do you Control your Commander while it's in the Command Zone
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-23 5:29 am 

Hi, I have never played Commander and have actually never played Magic and I am trying to learn.

When you start the game, when your Commander is in the Command Zone, do you technically "Control" it at that time?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Do you Control your Commander while it's in the Command Zone
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-23 10:06 am 

Short answer: No.

Long answer: You control permanents on the battlefield and spells on the stack. Cards in the command zone, graveyard, library, hand, or exile are not on the battlefield, therefore you do not control them.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Do you Control your Commander while it's in the Command Zone
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-23 10:20 am 

One clarification, though: If your commander in the Command zone is the source of an effect - such as Derevi, Empyrial Tactician's activated ability or Edgar Markov's triggered ability, you control those abilities while they're on the stack (even if you aren't considered to "control" the card causing them).

This is because, while the game doesn't consider you to control cards/spells/abilities not on the battlefield or stack, you are still considered to own them.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile