Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-26 7:25 am

Post subject: oblivion ring like and commander
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-28 11:45 am 

what happens if an opponent use an oblivion ring or something like it (journey to nowhere, for example), i send my commander to command zone.
if the O-rings like would exit the battlefield, my commander return to the battlefield? independent of the number of times i recast it

sry if i commited typos, or gramar errors, i'm not english native

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: oblivion ring like and commander
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-28 12:18 pm 

Oblivion Ring says to return "the exiled card", so if you send your commander to the command zone instead, it won't be returned because it's not exiled. You should probably send your commander to the command zone anyway, because if Oblivion Ring's controller leaves the game, their triggers won't go on the stack and the exiled card won't be returned.

With some newer cards like Banishing Light, a commander can be returned from the command zone when it leaves the battlefield as long as it hasn't changed zones since it was put there.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: oblivion ring like and commander
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-28 12:41 pm 

Yeah to expand on this a bit, if the return clause on the O-Ring like card say "the exiled card" then it will look for the card in exile.

If it says "the card" or "it" then it will return it from where it went providing it has stayed in that zone the whole time. So if your Commander is the target of one of these effects, then you cast it and it dies again, and is put back in the Command Zone, the original exile effect won't be able to find it to bring it back

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile