Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-23 11:39 am

Post subject: Side-Board in Commander ?
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-11 9:51 am 

How many cards I can put in my sideboard in Commander ? :P

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Side-Board in Commander ?
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-11 2:09 pm 

Officially, zero.

Depending on what you and your playgroup agree on, any number. Most players tend to use either a 10 or 15 card sideboard.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-11 3:34 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Officially, zero.

Depending on what you and your playgroup agree on, any number. Most players tend to use either a 10 or 15 card sideboard.

Small sidenote on this...

If someone asks to use a sideboard, they're probably using wishes, which means they're lazy deckbuilders who don't want to cut down to 100 cards, so you're always better off saying no.

Because it's not like you can't edit your deck inbetween games, since it's not a tourney format.

Sideboards in Commander? Nancy Reagan reminds you to JUST SAY NO!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-11 4:07 pm 

tgambitg wrote:
If someone asks to use a sideboard, they're probably using wishes, which means they're lazy deckbuilders who don't want to cut down to 100 cards, so you're always better off saying no.
Or, worse, their sideboard is a mess of deck-hate or color-hate cards. Using wishes to get them means you can have all the advantages of deck-hate cards with none of the drawbacks (i.e. risking a dead card if nobody has the deck it hates on).

tgambitg wrote:
Because it's not like you can't edit your deck inbetween games, since it's not a tourney format.
(Unless, of course, it is a tourney format, in which case you need to find out what that particular tournament allows.)

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-14 8:01 am 
EDH Rules Committee

tgambitg wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Officially, zero.

Small sidenote on this...

Sideboards in Commander? Nancy Reagan reminds you to JUST SAY NO!

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-15 5:55 am 

It was my understanding that even if someone had a sideboard, that wouldn't automatically make wishes functional. Wishes don't function at all without prior agreement on their scope from the playgroup. If they want a sideboard, let them have one but with the caveat that wishes still don't function. It may be pointless, but it's what they want, so...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Sideboard dilemma
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-31 12:22 pm 

Commander games are best-of-one matches. Kitchen table is not a locked list format. Between games any player may adjust any of their decks (exchanging any number of cards) without having an official sideboard. As long as the deck is legal at the beginning of each game there is no limitation to deck editing or "sideboarding" between games. Most of the people I play with exchange cards between games frequently, and adjust other decks during downtime in game.

If I understand it correctly Wishing from Sideboards is a tournament specific rules adjustment. Allowing Wishes in casual/kitchen table formats allows them to retrieve ANY legal card available to the player. Preapproved/previewed Wishboards are another optional house rule.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-01 11:51 am 

Evilkritter wrote:
Allowing Wishes in casual/kitchen table formats allows them to retrieve ANY legal card available to the player.

Technically, all the tournament rules do is redefine what "available" means.

But you're right - there's no reason to have a sideboard unless you think you're going to use it for wishes. As wishes are officially useless anyways, there would be little sense in having official sideboards.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile