Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-25 10:30 pm

Post subject: Bestowing Kestia
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-28 10:04 pm 

Is Kestia's bestow cost affected by the Commander tax? I've read both ways. I had assumed it was, but was I wrong?

Kestia, the Cultivator

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bestowing Kestia
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-28 10:55 pm 

Yes, you're still casting your Commander from the Command Zone, and Commander Tax applies as normal

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-29 12:54 am 

I approve what Viperion said.

Bestow says you 'cast it' for the bestow cost, and Commander Tax checks # of times you've cast your commander from the command zone. Both of those line up to be talking about the same thing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-29 1:39 am 

Yes, she has commander tax- because she'd be utterly stupid if she didn't (Derevi, Empyrial Tactician is regarded as a design mistake afaik because his cheating commander tax ontop of mana denial potential creates some massively unfun games.) Bestow isn't an activated ability, it's an alternative cost.

Rather, think about how she occupies both of the colors that dominate the Hexproof keyword (U and G)- and Indestructible (W.) Her ability to hijack a guy in her color identity is very likely to have something to do with how her alternative cost is designed.

Luckily for you, though- Auras, in spite of the fragility have a bunch of nifty support that helps Kestia absolutely explode.

Danitha Capashen, Paragon
Herald of the Pantheon
Hero of Iroas
Semblance Anvil - Underrated pet card for deck that cares about things having multiple types on the line.

Outside of the initial reduction, if you stack enough of these, they'll actually negate or reduce commander tax a'la Karador. Also, like Karador, you get to use green based ramp- so you can combine doublers, auras, Cultivate, and other such joy.

Also, the biggest draw to Kestia is that ontop of not being a do-nothing like the Therosi God cards, is that she gets to dip into the sheer ease of enchantment recursion available to W and G like Open the Vaults (or if you have it, Replenish), Crystal Chimes, Creeping Renaissance, so forth, and so on. If you're willing to build a slower deck, you can also build something similar to my Ephara list where you fire off Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward to erupt into positions with extreme CA and breakneck tempo. Regardless of how you do it, she wants to go to your graveyard when you can, not the CZ.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-29 2:01 pm 

Thanks, everyone! I had forgotten about Danitha, too, that is sweet!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-31 9:10 am 

Alternate costs are still affected by increases and reductions.

For example, Animar reduces the costs of evoke creatures when evoked.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Bestownyouropponents
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-31 12:08 pm 

Interesting interaction note, bestow creatures are aura's on the stack if they are bestowed, so Animar does not discount them when they are bestowed, nor does Animar trigger of them being cast.

Many prominent commander players mess up the Commander Tax rules, passing the confusion on to their viewers. It's a complex rule, most people shortcut it in a way that screws up their intuition. I'd guess Command Tax is the third-most screwed up interaction in commander gameplay, right after Legal Trigger Sequencing and Priority Retention.

Offline Profile