Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-26 6:55 am

Post subject: Muldrotha and Bestow
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 6:58 am 

If I have Muldrotha, the Gravetide in play and a Hypnotic Siren in my graveyard, can I bestow the siren onto a creature?

Edit: nm, oracle text specifies you can use alternate casting costs

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Muldrotha and Bestow
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 7:32 am 

But it has to be your enchantment spell for the turn.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 10:42 am 

MRHblue wrote:

Why? Doesn't it check while the card is still in the graveyard (and thus both Enchantment & Creature)?

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 11:25 am 

From a bit of searching around, bestow creatures only cease to be creatures once they're on the stack (effects that let you cast creatures as if they had flash do, apparently, let you Bestow at instant speed scratch that, that's not true), so for Muldrotha you could cast it as either your creature or enchantment (since they are Enchantment Creatures) for the turn, whether you're Bestowing or not.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 12:21 pm 

Carthain wrote:
MRHblue wrote:

Why? Doesn't it check while the card is still in the graveyard (and thus both Enchantment & Creature)?

I think 702.102c covers that

The check for whether a spell can legally be cast happens after its controller has chosen whether to pay its bestow cost; see rule 601.2e.
Example: Aether Storm is an enchantment with the ability “Creature spells can’t be cast.” This effect doesn’t stop a creature card with bestow from being cast for its bestow cost because the spell is an Aura enchantment spell, not an enchantment creature spell, when the game checks whether the spell is illegal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 1:07 pm 

MRHblue: There's something about your post that I don't like that answer -- and I think I figured it out.

The rule you are pointing to, seems to imply that the check for legality of casting the spell only happens after the spell is on the stack & costs paid, modes & targets chosen, etc.

My contention is that it seems to imply that the check is *only* done after you get to that part.

However, rule 601.3 says: 601.3. A player can't begin to cast a spell unless a rule or effect allows that player to cast it. If that player is no longer allowed to cast that spell after completing its proposal, the casting of the spell is illegal and the game returns to the moment before the casting of that spell was proposed (see rule 721, "Handling Illegal Actions").

So.. I think there are two checks... one before you begin, and one once you try to say "ok, it's on the stack"

601.3 would allow you to bestow (or at least start to bestow) a creature even if the Muldrotha player has already played an enchantment from the yard. But then, as you say, 601.2e kicks in and says "no no, nice try" and rewinds things to put that bestow creature back in your yard.

And it makes sense (now that I think about it) that it checks both times. 601.3 is what restricts you from playing sorceries, say, on someone else's turn (barring Orrery-type effects). 601.2e is what prevents you from casting with illegal targets or all sorts of other things you're not allowed to do.

So I think the bit saying that the check to see if a spell can be legally cast after it's put it on the stack is in error -- it's simply one of the checks :P

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 1:51 pm 

I got an answer on /r/mtgrules which seems legit - it can count as either because Muldrotha says "a permanent card of each permanent type" - so the choice is based on the card, not the spell.

So; creature or enchantment, your choice, whether you're bestowing or not.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 3:20 pm 

Another judge source seems to agree.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MTGAskT ... 436603417/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 3:31 pm 

Yeah I found that thread too but there are multiple people with multiple answers on there an no definitive ruling from anyone as far as I could make out

Offline Profile