Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 5:31 am

Post subject: Dual Lands and Color Identity
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 5:59 am 

Hello folks!

I hope you are having a great day today!

I searched to see if this was mentioned elsewhere to see the discussion and I couldn't find it, so I decided I'd post it here. If you have talked about this at length elsewhere, then I apologize for my lack of Search Fu. You can just point me to that thread.

The ten original dual lands now have reminder text, and not actual rules text, that mentions what they tap for. So, am I correct that you can run say, Tundra in a deck that isn't white and blue?

Gatherer entry for Tundra:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?printed=true&multiverseid=383139

Note that the "tap" ability for W or U is in parenties and in italics, like reminder text.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dual Lands and Color Identity
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 8:13 am 

Lands with basic land types do have "Add <colour>" (no longer says "to your mana pool") baked into them as part of the rules text. It's not so much that the Dual lands have reminder text, it's that any Plains (including Tundra) has "Add {W}" as rules text, and that's what gives it it's colour identity.

So, no, you still can't add Tundra to a deck that doesn't have both a White and Blue colour identity.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 8:39 am 

I wonder if this is the Abe Sargent that writes for Gatheringmagic.com. i wouldn't think so, but...

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 9:07 am 
EDH Rules Committee

The rules text explanation isn't quite right. 903.5d to the rescue!

903.5d A card with a basic land type may be included in a Commander deck only if each color of mana it could produce is included in the commander’s color identity.

This keeps duals out regardless of what's in the text box.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 9:10 am 

There must be some kind of rules text on Basics and Duals though, right? If all they have is reminder text, then they literally don't do anything. Note that Tundra, Hallowed Fountain, and even Mistveil Plains all don't have "T: Add {W}" anywhere in their rules text, so it must be in the rules somewhere.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 9:13 am 

I don't think he was disagreeing with your rules explanation, moreso saying it's irrelevant because regardless of what the actual Magic CR says about basics, the EDH color identity rules have a specific clause regarding basic land types.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 9:31 am 

Viperion wrote:
There must be some kind of rules text on Basics and Duals though, right? If all they have is reminder text, then they literally don't do anything. Note that Tundra, Hallowed Fountain, and even Mistveil Plains all don't have "T: Add {W}" anywhere in their rules text, so it must be in the rules somewhere.

It's because the rules define any lands with those subtypes as having those abilities:
Comprehensive Rules wrote:
305.6. The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words "basic land type," it’s referring to one of these subtypes. A land with a basic land type has the intrinsic ability "{T}: Add [mana symbol]," even if the text box doesn’t actually contain that text or the object has no text box. For Plains, [mana symbol] is {W}; for Islands, {U}; for Swamps, {B}; for Mountains, {R}; and for Forests, {G}. See rule 107.4a. See also rule 605, "Mana Abilities."

i.e. Yes, it's reminder text. Just like the single word "Flying" on a card is defined in the rules document (and has reminder text), the basic land types on the type line do the same thing. Hence the need for rule 903.5d.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 9:52 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I wonder if this is the Abe Sargent that writes for Gatheringmagic.com. i wouldn't think so, but...

Maybe he should stop writing if it is him.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 10:42 am 

Yeah, baked in rules text... it's a doozy
(see also: every grumpy player who wanted to put two loyalty counters on Garruk Wildspeaker when they untapped two lands)

cryogen wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:

Unnecessary snark! Boo!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 12:36 pm 

It's the same rules/logic that keeps the basics in the "appropriate" decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 8:42 pm 

The mana abilities of OG dual lands are not part of their rules text, just like the keyword Exploit doesn't add a White/Black hybrid mana symbol to their rules text. The rules of color identity (as covered under rule 903.4) only care about what is printed on the oracle text of the card, not about how the oracle text of the card is interpreted.

Having said that, OG dual land legality is covered under rule 903.5d.

Last edited by MMLgamer on 2018-Oct-03 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-02 11:51 pm 

Gotcha, so it's not Color Identity but another rule. Thanks for your time everyone and have a great day!!!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-03 9:29 am 

It’s part of the CI rules, that specifically shoehorns basic land types into their respective CIs because they otherwise would have no CI.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-03 9:37 pm 

Kemev wrote:
Yeah, baked in rules text... it's a doozy
(see also: every grumpy player who wanted to put two loyalty counters on Garruk Wildspeaker when they untapped two lands)

cryogen wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:

Unnecessary snark! Boo!

It's part of the job.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-04 1:08 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
It’s part of the CI rules, that specifically shoehorns basic land types into their respective CIs because they otherwise would have no CI.

Technically no. :)

Rules 903.4* are Colour Identity, the rule about lands with basic land types is 903.5d. In fact, 903.5c is the one that says a card can only be included if it's within the subset of your commander's colour identity. So that we have the next rule that is also restricting what cards can go into your deck based off of land type means it's not covered by CI.

Offline Profile