[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Proposed Rule 14: A clarification

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 12:10 pm

Post subject: Proposed Rule 14: A clarification
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-12 5:08 am 

As an active member of various Commander forums and Facebook groups, certain questions are brought up repeatedly. Wish cards, Relentless Rats, and many other similar topics are of frequent discussion, sometimes from new players asking for clarification. When appropriate, we are often able to find an answer or citation when someone says "Prove it" or this need arises.
There is, however, one question that is difficult to actually prove. That is the question of sideboards. The answer, of course, is that there are no sideboards in Commander. Mostly because of the absence of any rules that dictate their function or existence.
There are many members of this community that do not take absence of proof as proof, however.
I would love for there to be a rule 14. Which does not actually change any rules, as much as clarify the one many already know:

14.) There are no sideboards in Commander without playgroup approval.

This clarification gives us a point of reference, especially when people try to point out that there is no rule that states there are no sideboards.
I have seen many conversations divulge into the internet equivalent of "angry shouting matches" over this, and view it not only as a rules clarification but a cleansing fire to cease the hostility this can bring up in conversation.

Let me know what you think, thank you for your time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Proposed Rule 14: A clarification
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-12 1:08 pm 

Why does a sideboard matter? Rule 13 keeps wishes from functioning, and you can't board when the game is starting. If they want a small pile of cards to make adjustments easy, let them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-12 9:28 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-13 4:46 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-13 10:36 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-14 1:11 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-14 2:53 am 

The problem with siting the Comp Rules (100.4 was it?) that describes what a sideboard is -- is just that .. it only describes what a sideboard is. It doesn't specify how big the sideboard is.

Plus, if we're looking at the comp rules, in 903.X section, nowhere does it specify that people reveal commanders and then player have an opportunity to swap in cards from their sideboard. So even if "sideboards are allowed" they're still house-ruling with sideboarding after generals are revealed.

So... I guess with just the comp rules combined that would mean they need to sideboard blindly -- in which case, why not just say "Oh before we play, I wanna make a couple of changes to my deck."

That said -- an explicit rule stating they aren't used would make these arguments go much faster. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-14 6:56 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-14 7:06 am 
EDH Rules Committee

How about:

Rule 14: Sideboards are allowed in Commander. They must contain exactly 0 cards.

:D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-14 10:59 pm 

When it comes to wishes and sideboards, there is one thing I never understood and still don't: Why isn't Rule 13 in the comprehensive rules? If house rules are both encouraged by the RC and as easy to implement as everyone suggests, why are you relying solely on the wishy washy half measure that is Rule 13 to establish the absence of sideboards and "outside the game" effects when any rule in the C.R. is subject to customization via house rules anyway?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 3:26 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 3:35 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 12:13 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 3:58 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-16 2:28 am 

papa_funk,

I understand in the spirit of Commander that the rules are the baseline and to be built upon. For simplicity's sake, however, a lot of shops use those baseline rules for their gameplay. Sure, they add things like points systems and such, but the "normal" rules for Commander are not changed to keep gameplay at a place that is easy to give rulings on and help players if needed. Its also consistent, allowing me to walk into any of the LGS's in the area and understand what I am getting into.
I also agree that rules are not something that should be bludgeoned over someone's head. That is not my goal here in requesting this clarification. The clarification is to quell arguments in discussions.

Pointing people to the contents of this forum has its issues. Some people do not know who you are or what authority you have as a member of the Rules Committee. Heck, some people do not know who Sheldon is. So we first have to go through the arduous process of making them understand who you guys are, and then we have to explain how a post you make in this forum is as good as a ruling, and then explain why that ruling is not on the front page of mtgcommander.

I know the rules of Magic the Gathering are permissive in nature. Which means that having a rule that states "there are no sideboards" is redundant. So perhaps its is too greedy of me to try to request it as a rule.

What would be wonderful though is some form of explanation that can easily be pulled from mtgcommander's main page. Perhaps under one of the various links on Deck Construction or Play. Perhaps Sheldon's next article on Star City Games is an article about misconceptions and myths in Commander, and he briefly speaks about it on there, and have the link on mtgcommander's main page. Just something that is easily accessed. The difference here is that most people will understand an explanation from the official commander page. It would prevent someone from having to go through an arduous process of digging up a quote from a member of the Rules Committee in this forum, then go through the process of establishing their credibility.

What I am wanting does not change anything about commander except quell arguments.

Offline Profile