Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-26 5:39 pm

Post subject: Re: Wish you were here: A mechanic defunct
AgePosted: 2019-May-15 12:50 pm 

Viperion wrote:
I'm sure if they're a competitive group they know that already specter.

Maybe the wishes are too slow for people that are trying to set up the win turn 2?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-16 3:30 am 

specter404 wrote:
The fact that people in a competitive meta dont use them is interesting. I wonder why

My guess is that it's only Burning Wish that is interesting, and in a competitive playgroup nobody plays red.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-16 6:22 am 

Adding 2U to the cost of your spell isn't great... that would be why I would not run Cunning Wish in most decks. Maybe a storm deck? Once you hit infinite mana or whatever having access to your choice of 15 cards could be the game ender... but you wouldn't want to hide all your wincons in the SB like you could in a 60 card format.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-19 8:59 am 

specter404 wrote:
I wonder why, especially for blue decks, why are they not using cunning wish? Perhaps you could ask your group what they think about it.

Most of the instants you would want to cast with Cunning Wish aren't worth paying +3 for i think.

Viperion wrote:
I'm sure if they're a competitive group they know that already specter.

Well probably, but i have been playing every week for 3 and a half years and everyone has heard by now how i used to play Glittering and Cunning in a 5c deck with my wishboard of 10 Charms, haha.

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Maybe the wishes are too slow for people that are trying to set up the win turn 2?

It's at least 40% that, but also the wishes are actually not that powerful.*
Demonic gets any card in your deck for 2 mana, and the wishes get a specific type of card from only about 10 or 15.
Now, demonic is an extreme example, as it's probably the best tutor, but still.

On the other hand, i am playing Flash Hulk variants and Worldly Tutor, while limited, gets my Hulk. But so does Vamp. With Living Wish and Hulk in my board, i have just a small small fraction of my deck that gets Hulk.

So mostly every card you could want is in the mainboard, i think. I waffle about Stony Silence all the time, my current meta isn't enough artifacts to worry about it right now, so *that* would be convenient for a Wishboard (if only fetching an enchantment cost less than 3 mana). But, on the other hand, if there were artifacts in my meta again, it would be main-baord worthy because i get Enlightened, Vamp, DT, Seal, and i guess Intuition counts.

Shabbaman wrote:
My guess is that it's only Burning Wish that is interesting, and in a competitive playgroup nobody plays red.

I think Burning and Living (mostly because of how tiered Tymna is with grindability) are the best ones, Cunning and Glittering seem okay-ish.
Yeah red is bad. At the moment we have a couple Food Chain decks with Prossh and NivmIzzet and that's all the red right now. We have a red stax deck sometimes too.

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Adding 2U to the cost of your spell isn't great... that would be why I would not run Cunning Wish in most decks. Maybe a storm deck? Once you hit infinite mana or whatever having access to your choice of 15 cards could be the game ender... but you wouldn't want to hide all your wincons in the SB like you could in a 60 card format.

Yea, you would want some in the main deck. A lot of cEDH decks with infinite mana though can also draw their deck or tutor the win as part of the process. Thrasios based decks and ChainVeil Teferi and Dramatic Scepter combos all can. Food Chain Tazri/NivMizzet also 'infinitely' tutor or draw cards.

--------

In cEDH i think the short answer is they are no good cause anything you want to tutor for belongs in your deck.

* Edit: in cEDH. Casual is probably way different.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-19 9:40 am 

Quote:
In cEDH i think the short answer is they are no good cause anything you want to tutor for belongs in your deck.

Also equally true IMO.

Offline Profile