Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-20 10:21 am

Post subject: Re: I think we need a new Rule for the new [WAR] Gods.
AgePosted: 2019-Apr-30 10:04 pm 

I don't think this particular cycle was designed with "Good Monocolored General" in mind, in the same way that the Elder Dinosaur cycle is awkward in the command zone. These cycles are more likely given lore and proper names because of how the Titans effect the game. Since Dragons of Tarkir, we almost always get a Titan cycle (Regents), with a Legendary-Titan counterpart (Elder Dragons.)

As titans, all of these absolutely rock. They're awesome in commander because they callback to Kamigawa's titan cycles, which all have some interesting behaviors because of how the Legendary Rule, and "Legendary Matters" has completely changed.

Thus, similar to my favorite MBC Commander, Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni- what you lose from not sending your commander back to the CZ is a calculated risk. Hypothetically, all of these should be fine- because any color identity in EDH wants to stress Impulse effects for card selection- which dramatically effects a player's ability to assemble burst drawpower in any color identity. Since they are mono-colored, they have to assemble differing forms of burst drawpower, and have enough solid Impulses to get around this clause. Building with Inkie's ninjitsu in mind requires baiting out removal, and choosing not to regenerate through wraths. EDH's cardpool is so deep that finding something similar to Phyrexian Reclamation or Gravepurge at a time where I have ludicrous amounts of mana open and just want to toss a token or manland at somebody who doesn't want to block something, since killing it would provide me with more CA.

These all have fairly powerful triggers on generous bodies- and clones don't do much (if anything) with them. This ability is entirely optional at every step (these bad boys get to go to the CZ, the grave OR 3rd from the top-) so it's literally all upside. This can only tuck your general if you give it absolute permission to do so- and these aren't as exciting individually as their Amonkhet counterparts imo in the command zone (except Illharg, the Raze-Boar- but everybody wanted a monoR Sneak Attack general.) Titans with the "Legendary downside' are an exciting thing for EDH in that they're Titan powered guys that don't necessary throw the game out of whack with a kicked Rite of Replication- and that's just plain easy to appreciate.

TL;DR: Your commander should probably be going to your Graveyard in the first place- and these don't force you to take advantage of their bonus trigger. Tucking them is based on permission on their owner's behalf.

Greet him, Sneak Attack Pig god. A glorious dawn for monoR EDH decks has revealed itself. But what pet name is the best call for Illharg? I'm thinking "Pyggie-Millions", because I got those cringey literature puns on lockdown.

If you can't tell, that was a Pygmalion joke. I'll crawl back under that rock now.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-04 1:45 am 

Lord of the Flies?
Peter Porker?
Pumba?
The Pig of Tin Street? (That's a stretch, though.)
Babe?

The deck could be called "The Baconalia","Boar'd to Death", "Ham-Fisted", or "War Pigs".

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-21 9:17 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
Lord of the Flies?
Peter Porker?
Pumba?
The Pig of Tin Street? (That's a stretch, though.)
Babe?

The deck could be called "The Baconalia","Boar'd to Death", "Ham-Fisted", or "War Pigs".

Why do I love this so much?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-21 10:18 am 

Isabelle wrote:
Why do I love this so much?

Because it's awesome?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-25 7:13 am 

The dream is to use Gonti's ability when someone's God-Eternal commander is put into the library and then never cast the card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-26 8:52 am 

Panphage wrote:
The dream is to use Gonti's ability when someone's God-Eternal commander is put into the library and then never cast the card.

Pretty sure if you do exile a Commander directly from someone's library you *have* to reveal that it's their Commander at which point they can choose to apply the replacement effect and Command Zone it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-26 2:34 pm 

AnIzzetBro wrote:
Panphage wrote:

Pretty sure if you do exile a Commander directly from someone's library you *have* to reveal that it's their Commander at which point they can choose to apply the replacement effect and Command Zone it.

Actually I'm pretty sure that rule got scrapped, as it's such a corner case, especially with the revision to the commander replacement effect to include the library.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-27 12:51 am 

http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18295

As it says here, it is possible to exile someone's commander from their library face down in the current rules of the game. At that point, the Gonti player could just hold their Kefnet or whatever in purgatory because he isn't obligated to even tell them what card was exiled.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-28 8:51 am 

Panphage wrote:
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18295

As it says here, it is possible to exile someone's commander from their library face down in the current rules of the game. At that point, the Gonti player could just hold their Kefnet or whatever in purgatory because he isn't obligated to even tell them what card was exiled.

Look at that! A new account that can operate a search function! You get Sid's Seal of Approval.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-28 11:56 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Look at that! A new account that can operate a search function! You get Sid's Seal of Approval.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-28 12:08 pm 

Thanks, guys. I'm new here but I have been on forums since the early 2000s and I started playing Magic during Mirage. I look forward to being part of the site.

Offline Profile