[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - When are Commanders Revealed?

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 5:20 am

Post subject: When are Commanders Revealed?
AgePosted: 2019-May-04 12:11 pm 

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: When are Commanders Revealed?
AgePosted: 2019-May-04 6:54 pm 

That player was incorrect. Per the Comp rules the Commander is put face up in the Command zone, then the other 99 are shuffled, and hands are drawn.

"903.6. At the start of the game, each player puts their commander from their deck face up into the
command zone. Then each player shuffles the remaining 99 cards of their deck so that the cards are
in a random order. Those cards become the player’s library."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-04 10:58 pm 

Most often I'll choose my Commander face down, then start shuffling. As soon as all players have chosen/announced, I reveal my choice.

To avoid choices being based on other players' decisions, I'll always ask my opponents to do so, too.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-04 11:06 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-04 11:48 pm 

Honestly, this is all pretty moot in my own experience. When I go to a table, I put my commander face up on the table,and begin shuffling my deck. Concealing that information is unlikely to do anything more than irritate my opponents or make them suspicious in the first place. The bit of banter about commander choice is always a good ice-breaker anyways.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 1:16 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 1:23 pm 

This would definitely get me on the defensive. I would be wanting to know "what are you trying to hide?". Is your commander particularly well known to be degenerate? Dont want me to mulligan to an answer for your Kaalia?

I dont think my playgroup would ever have this issue, but I imagine a more innocent answer is the player is jaded from being meta gamed against. I can see some less that friendly players seeing what commander you are playing and then changing to something that can beat it.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 6:09 pm 

The sooner players reveal their Commander, the sooner you can discuss the kind of game you're trying to play. "Oh, you're playing Kangee? Maybe I'll play Breya some other time." "You're playing Aninar? Is it tuned? Should I play something a little stronger?"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-05 6:49 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 2:01 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 5:21 am 

I have no problems with players making mulligan decisions off a revealed commander, but I disagree with the idea of making deck decisions off the same, if only because it devolves Commander into a game of rock, paper, scissors. If deck parity is a concern, it can be done via discussion before the reveal. Should a Meren player have the chance to swap decks because an Anafenza was revealed? I can see both sides, but personally think the Meren player should have to suck it up, but conversely, I don't think the owner of an Anafenza deck should be able to swap in if a Meren were revealed. It cuts both ways. There needs to be some sort of code where, barring enormous power discrepancies - say, a needs nothing Zur sitting down at a table of precons - players should be stuck with their initial deck choices to prevent this sort of thing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 6:00 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 6:13 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 1:01 pm 

I've had a few experiences over the years with people wanting to specifically switch decks to hose me when they saw what I was planning to play - "Oh, you're using ?" *puts away bant deck, pulls out * This was quickly resolved via social pressure.

I have also had experiences similar to what Cryogen and Carthain describe, where people see what's being brought out and adjust to make things less potentially miserable. All-in-all, I think that's desirable.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-06 6:00 pm 

Offline Profile