Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-17 12:08 pm

Post subject: FYI: Proliferate's been updated with War of the Spark
AgePosted: 2019-May-08 11:21 pm 

I just found this out yesterday and thought I should pass on the news in case others weren't aware. This update was described in War of the Spark Mechanics and War of the Spark Comprehensive Rules Changes and Maro also talked about it on his blog.

War of the Spark Mechanics wrote:
There has been one small tweak to the proliferate rules this time around. Previously, if a player or permanent had more than one kind of counter, you'd choose one to add. Now, you just get all of them. Although unusual, this is most likely to happen with players. Say one of your opponents has both an energy counter and a poison counter. If someone proliferates, they will get both counters (one of each) or they'll get neither, depending if the player who proliferated chose to include them.

Or to put it differently...

Old behaviour: If a permanent has more than one kind of counter, you choose only one kind of counter for Proliferate and add that.
Example: if Gideon has both Loyalty and +1/+1 counters, you can choose to add only a Loyalty counter or only a +1/+1 counter, but can't add both. If a player has both an Experience counter and a Poison counter, you can choose to give them just an Experience counter or just a Poison counter, but not both.

New behaviour: If a permanent has more than one kind of counter, Proliferate adds one of each kind.
Example: if you choose to proliferate Gideon, he'll get both a Loyalty counter and a +1/+1 counter. If you choose to proliferate the player, they get both an Experience counter and Poison counter, and you can't choose to give them just one or the other.

This is reflected in an update to the reminder text for Proliferate too. I've added an underline for comparison:

Old reminder text: (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.)

New reminder text: (Choose any number of permanents and/or players, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: FYI: Proliferate's been updated with War of the Spark
AgePosted: 2019-May-09 12:13 am 

Wow, I've been playing it wrong all these years. I thought you chose the counters, not the permanent. For example, "I'll give you a poison counter but not an experience counter."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-09 12:41 am 

cryogen wrote:
Wow, I've been playing it wrong all these years. I thought you chose the counters, not the permanent. For example, "I'll give you a poison counter but not an experience counter."

Well, that did work like that before, but only because you only chose one counter per permanent/player. It used to be that you couldn't give both, but had to choose one or the other. Now if you give one, you have to give both.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-09 1:20 am 

Willbender wrote:
cryogen wrote:

Well, that did work like that before, but only because you only chose one counter per permanent/player. It used to be that you couldn't give both, but had to choose one or the other. Now if you give one, you have to give both.

No I always played where you could choose from any counter on the battlefield/player. You weren't forced to choose one or the other.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-09 1:31 am 

Yeah, I thought you could pick more than one kind of counter on the permanent or player too. So this update was a bit of a double-take for me. “Wait, they changed it? Oh, that's neat. Wait, that's how it worked before!?”

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-11 9:45 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Yeah, I thought you could pick more than one kind of counter on the permanent or player too. So this update was a bit of a double-take for me. “Wait, they changed it? Oh, that's neat. Wait, that's how it worked before!?”

That's probably why they changed it. They've been pushing for a while to make things actually work they way people expect them to work.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile