Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-21 8:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: "Unban card X... I'd really like to play with it!"
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 12:28 pm 

cryogen wrote:
But the attitude and sarcasm you have, similarly to what Cows is displaying, will get you nowhere if your goal isnto.try.and be heard by the RC. If you just want to "tell the man how you feel" or get your internet cred and show us how edgy you are, then go right ahead if it makes you feel any better.

I don't think anything I've done is edgy. Just stating that presuming I want respect is weird.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 12:40 pm 

paragon_deku wrote:
Just stating that presuming I want respect is weird.

Is it? I mean do you not want respect? The alternative is that your opinion has no value which would mean the time spent posting is entirely pointless.

If we dont respect your opinion (IF, this is a hypothetical) and you don't care about your opinion being respected or considered, then the only other reason you would spend the time posting is to annoy people, which would be the definition of trolling.

I dont think you're a troll, I think you value your opinion and your time, (I dont know, because I dont know much if anything about you) and so if those two things are true I assume you want at least some level of respect.

(edit, missed a word, sorry)

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 1:03 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Segrus wrote:
[
I wish I had pulled the source when I read it. I like specter404's link to his tumblr, since Maro suggests he's said more on the subject in other places ("as I’ve gone on record as saying") and I remember reading him being harsher. I won't pretend I have a direct quote on hand for this.

That link's back from 2013. I've had a fairly lengthy back and forth with him since then. I still think he doesn't like our stance, but hopefully he understands it.

The conflict fundamentally comes down to card design, which wants people to be able to play as many cards as possible, versus format design, which wants to put in restrictions to make a format more diverse.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-17 1:22 pm 

papa_funk wrote:
Segrus wrote:
I wish I had pulled the source when I read it. I like specter404's link to his tumblr, since Maro suggests he's said more on the subject in other places ("as I’ve gone on record as saying") and I remember reading him being harsher. I won't pretend I have a direct quote on hand for this.

That link's back from 2013. I've had a fairly lengthy back and forth with him since then. I still think he doesn't like our stance, but hopefully he understands it.

The conflict fundamentally comes down to card design, which wants people to be able to play as many cards as possible, versus format design, which wants to put in restrictions to make a format more diverse.

If he understands better, then I'm the happier.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-18 7:51 am 

paragon_deku wrote:
But seriously, earlier I mentioned how worldfire can create memorable games because top decking to victory ends up being a common theme in games I remember. The comment I tried to mention it in had terrible formatting since I accidentally put what I wanted to say in the middle of a quote. My mistake.

Ripping an awesome card off the top to seal the win CAN be awesome. That doesn't mean Worldfire is awesome.

First off, if it were legal, 99% of its use would be "float 9 + the current cost of my commander, Worldfire, cast commander". That's not especially cool or fun.

Secondly, if for some reason you DON'T play your commander, (maybe it was a choice of casting Dumpsterfire or losing to some horrifying board state), now the game is going to be a lot of draw-go until someone strings together enough land and a playable card to actually do something. This is also not a lot of fun. It's the kind of board state I would rather concede and start a new game than deal with, and "victory by boring your opponents to death" is the opposite of games you want to remember. And let's be clear here - the goal is games you WANT to remember. Is it memorable when someone blows up all your land and plays Overwhelming Splendor on you? Sure. Probably not a memory you'll look back on fondly though.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10