Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-14 11:16 pm

Post subject: Using Modern Horizons art cards?
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-26 12:23 pm 

Does anybody have any thoughts on the use of the Modern Horizons art cards in Commander play?

I mean, besides the obvious of consider it a proxy.

Once upon a time, if memory serves, the official rules stated that Collector's Edition and Gold Border cards (with a different Magic back) are fine for Commander play. Alpha edition, with the different corner cut, are also considered fine. All of this assumes you have sufficiently opaque sleeves. And as a casual format I feel this is fine as well.

We also have precedent with textless spells. Wizards has printed some. There are quite a few.

I am torn on the sleeving and shuffling-up of these art cards. To me they feel a little bit thicker than a typical Magic card. In my mind that makes them marked.

Anyone know if the RC has weighed in on this?

Anyone else have any serious thoughts on it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Using Modern Horizons art cards?
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-26 1:11 pm 

Honestly when it comes down to using proxies the most important people to ask are the people you’re gonna be using them with. If your playgroup is ok with proxies (and I guess in this case using the art cards as proxies) then go for it. I personally prefer when people at least print out a picture of the actual card so that it’s not confusing as to what the proxy actually represents when you’re in the middle of a game. That’s just my personal preference though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-26 1:13 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

The RC, in general, is not okay with proxies.

The RC also does not police what happens at your kitchen table.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-26 2:25 pm 

I think they're best used as tokens, myself.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-26 9:48 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
The RC, in general, is not okay with proxies.

The RC also does not police what happens at your kitchen table.

I guess the real question I was trying to ask ... When it comes to playing games at the LGS, what is the Commander community's expectation of these cards? Are we lumping them in with gold-border, Collector's Edition, and Alpha? These are all not tournament legal, but fine in a Commander deck. Or are we declaring that these art cards are not Magic cards and therefore proxies?

From Sheldon's response, it sounds like we are going with the latter?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-26 11:11 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

A Magic card has a standard Magic back and these don't, so yes, these would be proxies. I wouldn't have a problem if you have the normal card in your deck and then put one of these onto the battlefield (like we do with the oversized commanders).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-27 1:04 pm 

kevinrph wrote:
Are we lumping them in with gold-border, Collector's Edition, and Alpha? These are all not tournament legal, but fine in a Commander deck.

Can I just get some clarity with this because I am concerned I missed an announcement somewhere.

To the best of my knowledge all non-tournament legal cards are also not officially legal in commander. There is a tendency for them to be accepted, but the rules are not actually different are they?

Also what is the problem with Alpha cards? Why are Alpha cards not normally legal?

[EDIT: fixed quoting error]

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Last edited by specter404 on 2019-Jun-27 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-27 1:14 pm 

specter404 wrote:
Also what is the problem with Alpha cards? Why are Alpha cards not normally legal?
The corners are different. Usually sleeved its not an issue, but some places call them marked unless all the cards are Alpha

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-27 1:15 pm 

You've messed up your quoting; Sheldon didn't say that.

And for clarity: Gold Bordered and Collector's Edition cards are not legal.

Alpha is legal, but in any sanctioned tournament (which obviously 99% of Commander games aren't) any deck that contains Alpha cards needs to be sleeved because the card shape is different in Alpha than it is for every other set (the corners are "sharper"/less rounded in Non-Alpha sets)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Last edited by Viperion on 2019-Jun-27 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-27 1:21 pm 

You have that backwards. Alpha had significantly more rounded corners.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-27 1:26 pm 

I meant for the non-Alpha sets. Edited for clarity.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-27 1:35 pm 

Ok good, I just re-read the last time we discussed gold bordered cards, it was quite a conversation. I didn't know about the alpha cards though, that's an interesting fact.

As to the original topic, I believe the art cards main purpose is to be art, which according to the internet Oscar Wilde says is to be useless. I don't think it's appropriate to use them as proxies, but I'm not a fan of proxies at all.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-28 2:19 am 

If I saw someone using those art cards as the real cards, I'd say something about it to the person. If they have the real card nearby -- then I'd be a lot less worried about it.

I've stopped using textless & foreign cards simply because I want to know what the cards do (and I want to offer the same to my opponents without them requiring to know what every magic card does -- which gets harder and harder as the years go on.) I'd treat the modern art cards as worse than foreign and textless cards because they aren't actual cards. They are IMO even less useful than a proxy as a proxy will likely have rules text on it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-01 8:03 am 

I've never cared if people used proxies as long as they have the card text on them. I wouldn't really be okay with people using the art cards in place of cards that are relatively new and aren't familiar for most people.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-02 11:18 am 

Carthain wrote:
I've stopped using textless & foreign cards simply because I want to know what the cards do (and I want to offer the same to my opponents without them requiring to know what every magic card does -- which gets harder and harder as the years go on.)

Player Rewards Cryptic Command... *shudder*

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile