Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-21 5:39 am

Post subject: Re: Unban Iona, Reban Servent or Grindstone
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 9:46 am 

Nice Cards wrote:
What I meant by them not being WotC, is they could be more vocal and communicate their intentions for change to us better. How long has PE been in commander? We could have at least had notifications they were planning on axing it from their official lists, give time for community discussion and input...something I would not expect Wizards to do.

Where do you guys get your information from? I don't consider myself some kind of expert, but I certainly consume a lot of commander content on YouTube, never once have I heard or seen anyone say "Paradox Engine is going to be banned in commander." I've also not seen Iona in play except by our Kaalia player.

I'm not actually advocating for a rule reversal, but better communication and consideration to all playgroups and types of players in the future.

It's not the prerogative of the Rules Committee to ban cards. They don't approach this with the mindset of wanting to ban a card and then seeing how the community feels. Quite the opposite, they listen to what the community is saying, and then discuss those topics internally.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 9:50 am 

Willbender wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Personally I'd like PS re-banned. I don't think I'm going to see any cute/fun uses for it. I think I'm suddenly going to see more of Llawan, Cephalid Empress.

OK, and...? That's not a particularly powerful combo. There's much, much worse that can be done to the game.

If someone does this, it doesn't last long - someone will have a kill spell or bounce spell, or a win condition without creatures. The Cephalid player has what? Either a pillowfort/fog variant there, or is going to swing out for the win in mono blue?

Come on man. You're making an argument that "someone will just stop it" and ignoring the fact that the mono-blue player can and probably will protect their lock with some combination of countermagic and shroud/indestructibility granting effects. And if no one HAS an answer handy (this is way more possible than you're implying) you get to snooze your way through several turns. Plus this is the kind of thing someone will randomly drop on a non-cedh table and a bunch of decks that want to do things like have their commanders.

At any rate, my point wasn't specifically that Llawan is miserable with PS (she absolutely is) but that I'm expecting to see way more unpleasant/irritating uses of PS than things that make me say "Oh, that's cool". Granted, I could have made that point much more clearly the first time. But no one runs, say, Mycosynth Lattice because they like that it smooths out all the mana issues for them or gives them extra artifact count for their Karn tokens - they run it so they can cast overloaded Vandalblast and be jerks.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 2:13 pm 

The difference: Vandalblast and most of the cards that interact poorly with Lattice are actually good cards. Llawan and Anarchy are not. People who want to win the game will run Vandalblast or Karn because they do powerful things even without Lattice, while people who want to win the game won't run color hate because it does squat without Servant.

And since you mention Lattice's beneficial aspects, Lattice actually does something even if you don't draw your combo. Servant doesn't. The only way Servant does anything on its own is if you have a general who synergizes with it, which is why I keep saying the majority of Servant uses will be to augment generals who can benefit from it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 2:37 pm 

After listening to the playing with power guys I think that the main reason why Iona is banned is because of the interaction with painter's servant where no one can play anymore spells. I think that it is better to have Painter's servant because even though though it does allow some degenerate things, it also facilitates more fun interactions than the mill combos and the blue commander discussed earlier, it allows more old color hate cards to be played and other interesting interactions and it would be more interesting to have that card in play than iona.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 2:57 pm 

cryogen wrote:
So does that mean that the RC can't unban anything because it will immediately jump in price? Because how irresponsible would it be to unban Recurring Nightmare so we can play with it, only to find that this $20 card is now $100 dollars and we can't afford it.

oh like you don't already own a playset :P

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 2:59 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
The difference: Vandalblast and most of the cards that interact poorly with Lattice are actually good cards. Llawan and Anarchy are not.

I won't hear this heinous slander against my darling baby boy Anarchy

tobeheard wrote:
After listening to the playing with power guys I think that the main reason why Iona is banned is because of the interaction with painter's servant where no one can play anymore spells. I think that it is better to have Painter's servant because even though though it does allow some degenerate things, it also facilitates more fun interactions than the mill combos and the blue commander discussed earlier, it allows more old color hate cards to be played and other interesting interactions and it would be more interesting to have that card in play than iona.

This is funny, because this is the reasoning that got PS banned and Iona left alone in the first place--it was reasoned that Iona was the more interesting card, and PS the more degenerate. Grindstone had also been banned for over a year at that point. It was a weird time.

I still think Iona, PS, and Grindstone should all be allowed to skip merrily into the sunset together and be legal, but I don't think that viewpoint has near enough traction.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 7:50 am 

I would agree that Servant's and Iona's banning status should be completely independent of each other, that the format can survive both being legal or both being banned. That being said, I have no love for Iona and will not complain about no longer having to deal with her.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 9:12 am 

Agreed that they should both be legal. If someone is planning on reanimating it early every game than just be open that most level 6 decks cannot handle it and you shouldn't play it against them.

Offline Profile