Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 8:03 pm

Post subject: Commander Climate Survey
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 10:17 am 

https://forms.gle/aSA7hjo5G1HCK1V87

Hi everyone. For those who may not know, I have been conducting an annual survey about the Commander ban list and some of the more controversial and debated rules of the format. This year however, I'm both widening the scope of the survey as well as conducting it on a medium that I hope will result in much more feedback for the Rules Committee.

The questions are a mix of ones that i have asked in previous years, questions i see brought up constantly, as well as ones that I crafted based on reading feedback the RC has given similar polls in the past.

The poll should take five to ten minutes to fill out, so hopefully you'll participate. And please, share this with your friends and other players, because the larger the sample size the better the data will be for the RC.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Commander Climate Survey
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 12:33 pm 

Point of order: While Australia is referred to as an Island Continent, it is part of the Continent of Oceania, along with New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Papua New Guinea, and so forth. (Source: I am in New Zealand, and if you tell a New Zealander they're part of the continent of Australia, you've got a fight on your hands)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 12:47 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Point of order: While Australia is referred to as an Island Continent, it is part of the Continent of Oceania, along with New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Papua New Guinea, and so forth. (Source: I am in New Zealand, and if you tell a New Zealander they're part of the continent of Australia, you've got a fight on your hands)

Interesting. I wouldn't have called New Zealand a continent at all - I would have described it as an island.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 6:20 pm 

Viperion wrote:

My apologies. I blame my teachers 35 years ago that filled my head with such lies as Australia being a continent and Pluto being a planet. No slight was intended.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 8:38 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Viperion wrote:

Interesting. I wouldn't have called New Zealand a continent at all - I would have described it as an island.

That's...not at all what I said New Zealand was.

All good cryogen, just poking fun. But fix it.

:P

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 8:47 pm 

Thank you for the survey. I like the options you gave.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 9:38 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
Thank you for the survey. I like the options you gave.

Thanks. Paragon_deku deserves some credit as well. As I've mentioned,this is the 5th time in six years that I've conducted a similar poll, so the timing and overlap is just a coincidence. That said, the questions and feedback Sheldon gave helped me craft some of the questions and add ones that I wouldn't have normally asked.

@viperion fite me

Edit: don't think it will let me. I just changed it and when I viewed the results it now lists Australia and Oceania as possible answers. I'm afraid to edit it further because I don't want to mess with the data (even if the question is largely more for demographics and not game relevant).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 10:06 pm 

Any chance of reformatting the outputs on banning and unbanning so they’re legible? Longer names are covering subsequent ones.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 10:06 pm 

Any chance of reformatting the outputs on banning and unbanning so they’re legible? Longer names are covering subsequent ones.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 10:10 pm 

cryogen wrote:
Edit: don't think it will let me. I just changed it and when I viewed the results it now lists Australia and Oceania as possible answers. I'm afraid to edit it further because I don't want to mess with the data (even if the question is largely more for demographics and not game relevant).

Oceania covers almost every island in that general area including Australia except New Zealand. It's good to have Oceania (there are players in the pacific and in Southeast Asia) but New Zealand still technically isn't an option. :P

I suggest just adding one new option saying simply "New Zealand".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 10:34 pm 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

I don't know. I don't like that output either, but I'll see if I can change the formatting without messing with the integrity of the poll itself.

spacemonaut wrote:
cryogen wrote:

Oceania covers almost every island in that general area including Australia except New Zealand. It's good to have Oceania (there are players in the pacific and in Southeast Asia) but New Zealand still technically isn't an option. :P

"That area of the world that has kangaroos and stuff"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 11:28 pm 

I answered yesterday, thanks for posting the survey. I saw it on the EDH subreddit too, so hopefully you get good data from everywhere.

I think the phrasing of the scale for how much influence you personally have on the RC's decisions is weird. Almost like two separate questions are being asked: do you think you have any influence over the RC, and are you satisfied with how available the RC is?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 11:44 pm 

cryogen wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:
cryogen wrote:

"That area of the world that has kangaroos and stuff"

That's still not New Zealand, lol.

For reference NZ is about 2000km away from Australia. That's about how far away Mexico is from Canada, so that's like saying Mexico is part of "the area of the world with moose and hockey and stuff". :P

Our mum separated Australia and NZ that far away so we'd stop hitting each other.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-10 11:51 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
For reference NZ is about 2000km away from Australia. That's about how far away Mexico is from Canada, so that's like saying Mexico is part of "the area of the world with moose and hockey and stuff". :P

As a Canadian, I feel offended!

.. You forgot Maple Syrup! (.. it should count for more than just part of '.. and stuff' :D )

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 12:12 am 

Segrus wrote:
I answered yesterday, thanks for posting the survey. I saw it on the EDH subreddit too, so hopefully you get good data from everywhere.

I think the phrasing of the scale for how much influence you personally have on the RC's decisions is weird. Almost like two separate questions are being asked: do you think you have any influence over the RC, and are you satisfied with how available the RC is?

Yeah I got similar feedback on reddit. Overall theres been good feedback which I'll incorporate next year.

Offline Profile