Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-21 5:34 am

Post subject: Another Ban List Screed
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 5:53 am 

SO MUCH of the talk around banning and unbanning makes me angry to a irrational degree. I'm posting here instead of e-mailing ALL of the commander podcasts I listen to so that the trusted old-bloods can judge me. If I'm off base I trust y'all to reality check me better than the deluge I'd on Reddit.

COMPLAINT. -why I care enough to screed

Many commander content creators and magic player fundamentally misunderstand the Banlist's role for shaping the "spirit of the format". Whenever a change gets made every single commander content creator weighs in. Most of them have a top-of-the-head, no-prior-thoughts, no-fucking-outline discussion that devolves into a 30-40min long reiteration of half-formed ideas replacing an episode of content I enjoy with garbage that I am sick of hearing.

CLAIM. -what the banlist cares about

It is very simple. The banlist is the default set of bans that set the baseline so that four random strangers can pull out a commander deck for a casual game.

The banlist is not for competitive, and it never has been. Tier one CEDH decks are not targeted with bans, turn 1 goldfish decks are not targeted with bans, linear infinite decks are not targeted with bans. 1v1 Commander and French Commander both have separate banlists from Commander.

The banlist is not for balancing power level. Most of the cards on the banlist are not power problems, or even particularly strong cards. Staples to the format are not targeted with bans.

The banlist IS targeted on cards that make casual, untuned, unoptimized decks play badly against each other. When four friends decide to push together their draft trash and a few favorite cards to build commander decks, THAT is when the banlists matters. When they roll up to the LGS to play for the first time outside the kitchen table THAT is when the banlist matters.

If you are playing with your friends at home? Use Uncards, have Planeswalker commanders, let somebody build a wishboard, slip a few extra cards into your now 99+, PLAY BANNED CARDS. If you have a playgroup willing to try things out, GOOD, DO IT! That's in the Spirit of the Format Doc!

But most players DON'T have a good group to play with. When people are just getting into the format they don't know how to rate their deck power level. They don't know what cards are good, too good, or just plain unfun until they've played a bunch. They don't don't even know what kind of power level they WANT to play in!

The banlist exists as a tool for easing people into the format by eliminating effects that tend to make unfun play experiences for people who are learning commander.

WHINGING. -because I wanna get into nitty gritty garbage that doesn't matter

Paradox Engine goes off by accident. Signet, worn powerstone, paradox engine, whoops I played my whole hand. It unbalances casual games hard.

Iona, Shield of Emeria hits the table and hoses an arbitrary portion of players. Pick a color, either Iona dies immediately or somebody is sitting out the game for a few turns. She's not even strong, but she's SO UNFUN! Like, Sway of the Stars unfun.

Painter's Servant goes infinite with fewer cards than Midnight Guard. It has amazing deck building potential. If you stick it in your random deck it doesn't do anything broken.

CONCLUSION. -the post did actually end

I think people in play groups outgrow the banlist. I think community members with high community involvement forget that lots of commander games happen between people who have never heard of gatherer or scryfall. I am sick of the banlist being totally misunderstood, but I am waaaaaaaaaaaay more sick hearing people talk about it when they could be talking about cards that are FUN.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Another Ban List Screed
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 6:10 am 

Evilkritter wrote:
I am sick of the banlist being totally misunderstood, but I am waaaaaaaaaaaay more sick hearing people talk about it when they could be talking about cards that are FUN.

Hear! Hear!

*Raises his glass towards you*

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 6:42 am 

Quality content.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-11 8:16 am 

Evilkritter wrote:
I am sick of the banlist being totally misunderstood, but I am waaaaaaaaaaaay more sick hearing people talk about it when they could be talking about cards that are FUN.
*Raises OP on shoulders with others' help*

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Off to Reddit we go
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-16 4:21 am 

Yay! I'm glad people feel similarly.

In contradiction to my own sentiment, I'm going to post about this on Reddit now XD

I think the storm has largely passed, the topic has receded into the ocean, but I haven't had a commander night since the ban and the people in my playgroup I've talked to are in the no-bans-except-for-this-card-I-don't-like camp :P

I'm curious if anybody DIS-agrees with me and also has reasons that make sense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/c ... st_screed/

Offline Profile