Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Oct-18 9:41 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Iona - a peasants thoughts
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-10 1:08 am 

Joined: 2019-Mar-15 1:06 pm
Age: Wyvern
MRHblue wrote:
Panphage wrote:
Nobody is going to convince me that Iona is worse than a lot of the other expensive cards (and even some cheap ones) that are still legal to play, but I don't think that there's much of a chance to change many people's minds on the subject. The recent ban list updates are some of the only ones that I disagree with to date.
Should that be the threshold for Iona?

What about 'games are going to get better because its gone'?


Sorry for the delay in response here. I'm not going to debate whether games are better or worse without Iona because I've moved on from using her as an answer for certain things in my mono-white deck, but the point that cards are considered for banning on an inconsistent basis and that many people, including myself, don't consider Iona even remotely the most problematic card in Magic is why I think that this ban was unnecessary. There are many commonly played cards that are viewed with much more derision and often create conditions that aren't fun or interactive to play around.

If every card that reaches a certain threshold of tendency to make the game non-interactive or unplayable was banned, then I would see the logic of banning one of the less efficient (and also less commonly played) cards for doing it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iona - a peasants thoughts
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-10 2:35 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Aug-20 7:49 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Hampshire
Panphage wrote:
many people, including myself, don't consider Iona even remotely the most problematic card in Magic

I agree with this in principle. I still think banning Iona was a good move, because she's the kind of card that no one is happy to see. IMO "cards that say your opponents can't play the game" is the #1 kind of card that should be expunged from EDH, because if the concept of your format is "a bunch of friends get together and play a fun game", then cards that add "except YOU" to that sentence shouldn't be there.

Also, I can't help but feel like Iona was banned at least in part to allow them to unban Painter's Servant without re-introducing that nightmare to the format.

_________________
"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iona - a peasants thoughts
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-10 4:09 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2019-Aug-09 9:15 pm
Age: Hatchling
Location: Trying to Arcane Flight myself to DISNEY WORLD!
Quicksilver Amulet + Iona, Shield of Emeria

Her cmc drops down from 6WWW to 4 colorless and onto the battlefield. Now that is shenanigans. I am kinda glad Iona is banned.

_________________
FYI: I will never play green decks! It is evil and bad, just ask my husband’s Omnath, Locus of Mana... I loath that deck!

Control Mill - Lazov, Dimir Mastermind (aka: No Deck for You!)
Angel Tribal - Bruna, the Fading Light / Brisela, Voice of Nightmares (WIP)
Zombie Tribal - The Scarab God (aka: ALL THE ZAMBIES!)



Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iona - a peasants thoughts
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-19 6:50 am 

Joined: 2012-Apr-11 7:17 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Panphage wrote:
Sorry for the delay in response here. I'm not going to debate whether games are better or worse without Iona because I've moved on from using her as an answer for certain things in my mono-white deck, but the point that cards are considered for banning on an inconsistent basis and that many people, including myself, don't consider Iona even remotely the most problematic card in Magic is why I think that this ban was unnecessary. There are many commonly played cards that are viewed with much more derision and often create conditions that aren't fun or interactive to play around.
You don't see the consistency, many others do. And 'are not fun to play around' and 'cannot cast spells' are very different situations to me.

Quote:
If every card that reaches a certain threshold of tendency to make the game non-interactive or unplayable was banned, then I would see the logic of banning one of the less efficient (and also less commonly played) cards for doing it.
I don't follow here, could you clarify what you mean? Any "threshold" would be arbitrary, so whats the goal?

_________________
sir squab wrote:
My... history of buying Magic cards is probably a tapestry of bad financial decisions >_>
niheloim wrote:
No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: