Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:40 pm

Post subject: Re: A strange question about banding and trample
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-26 12:22 pm 

Melriken wrote:
Actually it does, it completely ignores the ordering rules from M10. A pair of 5/5s blocking an 8/8 can each take 4 and not die... that isn’t possible without banding.

Yes, thank you, MrMustache pointed that out for me. Banding is weird and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-26 12:39 pm 

Melriken wrote:
Shoe wrote:
MrMoustache wrote:
This is the other confusing part of banding, where it works slightly differently between an attacking band and a blocking band.

i would totally be ok with them lining up how attacking and blocking bands were created as a functional change if they would bring it back. i heart banding.

It would probably be better to remove blocking bands entirely when bringing it back, the game works better when attacking is encouraged (because the net balance favors the defender)

thats a much larger functional change, AND white is supposed to be the "good at defending color".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-16 10:42 am 

Banding was an actually extremely simple concept as long as people didn't overthink it.
I remember having to teach people about it back when Fallen Empires was the "new and upcoming set" and here's the easy way to think about it.
1] A. When you are attacking and want to band together a group of creatures, all but one of them needs banding. (So a Benalish Hero, Sengir Vampire, Icatian Phalanx, and Icatian Skirmishers (which is friggin' awesome in this by the way) could all band as one since 3/4 have banding and vampire doesn't. If you had Icatian scout as 4th, then you'd have to make two groups of two bands each with one banding creature.)
B. The whole band can be blocked as long as any one of them can be blocked. (Think of them all holding hands glued with super glue; so if a player attacks with Scryb Sprites, Bog Wraith, and Grizzly Bear and bands them up somehow, and the defending player has no fliers and controls swamps, but can block the bear, then all 3 get stopped. Basically, if any one part of the band could get blocked, then the whole band gets blocked holding hands and not aBANDoning the others.
C. Now the controller of the band assigns the damage dealt to the band as they want to, not the defending player's wishes; that's the catch/advantage.
2] A. When defending, the player can take one creature with banding and any other amount of creatures and band them together to form a band to defend. They can only block one creature (with minor exceptions to that which get annoying - Two-Headed Giant of Foriys anyone?)
B. 1. If any part of the band can block a creature, then the whole band blocks it and receives the damage spread out among their band.
B. 2. Only creatures that COULD have blocked the creature normally will deal damage to the attacking creature, but the rest of the band can distribute the damage taken among themselves. (I.E. Shivan Dragon attacks and is pumped up to 8/5 with no more red mana available, and defending player bands a Serra Angel, Force of Nature, and Benalish Hero. Only Serra Angel will deal damage to the dragon, but the band can live with 6 dealt to FoN and 2 to S.Angel, so both sides will all survive.)
C. Again, the controller of the band decides how the damage is dealt to his creatures, not the attacking player. (See B.2.)
Kinda makes people WANT to use Martón Stromgald again from Ice Age, hmmm? I loved using him.

Offline Profile