Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 2:37 am

Post subject: Re: lost commander control
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-22 1:02 am 

cheethorne wrote:
Hmm, not really. When a commander becomes too expensive, a sufficiently long game has a natural fix for that just by playing more lands.

That seems simplistic. It's the usual case, but there can be times where you accelerated it out with mana rocks that also got destroyed ... so it has the possibility of taking more than "just two more [lands] than the last time they cast their commander"

cheethorne wrote:
I think that since it is an easy change to make, it should be done.
I feel if it were an easy change, wouldn't they have done that at the time of the tuck change? So it's quite possible there's something stopping it that we're not considering.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-22 10:22 pm 

Reality is that there are some commanders and some players that should be locked out of using their commander. I know I am an old fuddy-dud but I am a fan of tucking commanders. To be clear, I think that 99% of commanders and 80% of players are fine, but not being able to permanently deal with a commander is an issue in 1% of games I have played.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-29 2:52 am 

If we had the tuck loophole I would be down to have the rules Change in that way. Too bad that’s not the case and as I see it, as a player, there is no way other then removing some of these cards from the game. This is mostly true for emenaince triggers that doesn’t even need the commander out to use it.

As is such I play emrakul and I will exile your outside the game ability from your general zone.

It’s not me being a jerk as much as an actual answer to a card that interacts outside the game.

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-29 8:20 pm 

cheethorne wrote:
Baron Cappuccino wrote:
It’s functionally similar to having your commander taxed to uncastability, a state nobody is clamouring to change the rules to prevent.

Hmm, not really. When a commander becomes too expensive, a sufficiently long game has a natural fix for that just by playing more lands. If someone played Nevermore naming my commander, I will eventually draw into a way to destroy their enchantment. However, with Mindslaver and exiling, there really is no other recourse and the player in the game knows it. While they can live with the hope of drawing those extra lands (always just two more than the last time they cast their commander) or with drawing the enchantment removal they need, they know for an absolute certainty that they will never be able to cast their commander again. It is a bit deflating.

I think that since it is an easy change to make, it should be done. That said, I do recognize that taking control of someone else's turn is a pretty rare effect, so this is not a high priority, if the RC was busy with some other issue, but if it is a slow quarter, then it should be considered.

There are a few cards here and there that return cards from exile back into the game. I would love to see all the wishes be playable, but instead of sideboard you just grab a thing that’s removed from the game your playing. They usually exile on resolution and only grab specific cards except for the new black one that grabs a card in the deck or outside the game. I don’t see why the rules for outside the game can’t be change to removed from the game.

Deck list Jund creature combo (not updated)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-29 11:43 pm 

Thraximundar wrote:
I don’t see why the rules for outside the game can’t be change to removed from the game.

Because exile isn't "removed from the game" :p

Snarky responses aside, I'd probably be OK with the wish-like effects being able to grab cards you own from Exile.

Offline Profile