Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 7:09 pm

Post subject: Effects of Contaminaton, Hall of Gemstone and Urborg ToY
AgePosted: 2007-Oct-08 11:47 pm 

This will probably be a no-brainer, but with effects like the enchantment Contamination, if a player is playing a non-Black general do all their lands just produce colorless mana? or is it black?

With Hall of Gemstone, are players restricted to which color they may choose, or may they choose any of the five colors, but mana produced of a color that is not of their general's colors becomes colorless?

Lastly, deck construction rules forbid having cards in your deck that have mana symbols that don't appear in the casting cost of your general. Basic lands, whether they actually show them or not, have the symbol in their text box as given to them by the rules of the game itself.
That being said, does this mean Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth can be played in any deck, considering that it only becomes a swamp itself once it's in play and not in any other zone?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Oct-09 7:20 am 

I play Hall of Gemstone in a mono green deck. I obviously pick green each time, but I don't see why I could choose another color. All it means is that when I tapped a Forest I'd get colorless mana.

Which is why I put things in my deck with colorless mana activations - so when someone else picks not-green I can still do stuff - and there are always mana artifacts.

It appears to me that the same is true for Contamination. Tig - I hope you have this in your Endrek Sahr deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Oct-19 9:13 pm 

I had a similar concern in one other game. My opponent had both Urborg, Tomb of Yagmoth and Gauntlet of Power (naming black) in play.

When I tap my basic plains, do I get an extra mana because of how the Gauntlet reads with the colorless mana rule?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Oct-23 9:46 am 

If you use the Plains's "T: Add B to your mana pool." ability, you trigger the Gauntlet. You are playing a mana ability of a basic land that generates black mana. The mana is decolorized by the EDH rules when the mana ability resolves (immediately after it's played per rule 411.1), but the Gauntlet has already triggered. The mana ability of the Gauntlet resolves just after the Plains's mana ability (rule 411.3) and also has its mana decolorized.

You get two colorless mana.

Offline Profile