All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-17 8:15 am

Should Pull From Eternity Hit Generals?
Yes. 63%  63%  [ 15 ]
No. 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Pull From Eternity?
AgePosted: 2007-Dec-19 9:22 pm 

Not as powerful as Riftsweeper, clearly, in terms of what it does to Generals, but it is similarly proactive in what it can do to, say a monored deck with no way to reanimate a general. Should it be usable on Generals? Obviously the normal rules would apply for it (no wishboard - just gets previously in-game cards that are removed or suspended).

I know single-card errata i annoying, so if someone plays this on your General, can you just re-RFG it and suck it up and pay the extra 2 colorless? I might be tempted to run this spell just to occasionally bump up the cost of a n obnoxious General preemptively now and again if someone is about to go off or something.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Dec-20 9:37 am 

It's no different than the fact that Generals have Protection from Karakas. They should have Protection from things that affect cards removed from the game. It's not annoying and easy to manage. Can't have it both ways - protection from riftsweeper but not pull from eternity? All or nothing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Dec-26 12:45 pm 

Isn't Pull From Eternity a non-problem in any case? It puts a face-up RFG card into the owner's graveyard, but from the EDH Rules Page:

-If a general would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, it's owner may remove it from the game instead. (This is a replacement effect.. the creature never goes to the graveyard and will not trigger abilities on going to the graveyard)

PFE doesn't even do anything - the General doesn't even change zones since it's a replacement effect not a triggered ability that applies on the General hitting the graveyard. It can't even be used to just make a player pay 2 more when he next casts his general because it doesn't count as 'being played', so the 2 mana penalty wouldn't apply to it being PFE'd.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Dec-26 3:35 pm 

Cod wrote:
Isn't Pull From Eternity a non-problem in any case? It puts a face-up RFG card into the owner's graveyard, but from the EDH Rules Page:

-If a general would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, it's owner may remove it from the game instead. (This is a replacement effect.. the creature never goes to the graveyard and will not trigger abilities on going to the graveyard)

PFE doesn't even do anything - the General doesn't even change zones since it's a replacement effect not a triggered ability that applies on the General hitting the graveyard. It can't even be used to just make a player pay 2 more when he next casts his general because it doesn't count as 'being played', so the 2 mana penalty wouldn't apply to it being PFE'd.

Doh. I should read carefully before I post. I guess the cards as printed with the rules as are do absolutely nothing if the owner of the general in question just wants to leave the general RFG'd. I feel dumb. I think it got asked how the card worked during one of our games on generals, but that clears it up - it's useless on them.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Dec-27 10:17 am 

Yeah but what if you want to do it to your own general? You know because he got lonely by himself.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2007-Dec-27 11:17 am 

warble wrote:
Yeah but what if you want to do it to your own general? You know because he got lonely by himself.

Or you are holding Breath of Life and the extra 5 for the 2 cards is a better play at time than paying an extra 5 billion for it.

That seems like a fair play - just like Living Wishing for your general. I'm down.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-21 6:50 am 

Notice the 'may' in the

"-If a general would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, it's owner may remove it from the game instead. (This is a replacement effect.. the creature never goes to the graveyard and will not trigger abilities on going to the graveyard)"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-21 3:15 pm 

Basically Pull From Eternity isn't a problem :D
All it really says is ...

"Target general costs 2 more, unless they want to reanimate it."

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-21 9:58 pm 

yawg07 wrote:

Not even, the general's cost remains the same. The cost only goes up for additional times it is played not when it is RFG'd.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jan-21 10:07 pm 

iceage4life wrote:
yawg07 wrote:

Not even, the general's cost remains the same. The cost only goes up for additional times it is played not when it is RFG'd.

Wow, read the freakin' rules, eh?
Sorry you guys! ^_^;;;

I'll have to tell me buddy on Wednesday, I completely overlooked that it had to have been PLAYED to cost more. :oops:

Offline Profile