Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 6:41 am

Post subject: Celestial Dawn
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-07 12:53 pm 

A bunch of us around my area have been playing EDH a lot lately. I have been using Zur, and we came across an interesting question.

So, I grab celestial dawn with Zur, and donate it, if the other player doesn't have a general that has white on it, are they stuck with colorless mana now? The rules state the if you can produce an illegal color outside of your generals colors then it is colorless.

Thouhghts?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-07 2:37 pm 

http://edh.truespace.ca/EDH_Forum/viewtopic.php?t=205 <-- that post may give you some context for this question.

I'd say yes, they may only produce colorless mana. It's as if you played Contamination and an opponent didn't have a Black general. They might have an out if they have artifact mana that produces their colors...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-07 2:41 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

EDH Rules wrote:
The general's mana cost dictates what mana symbols may appear on cards in the deck. A deck may not generate mana outside it's colours; anything which would generate mana of an illegal colour generates colourless mana instead.

Celestial Dawn wrote:
All nonland cards you own that are not in play are white.
All nonland permanents you control are white.
All lands you control are plains.
All colored mana symbols in all costs on all of these cards and permanents are W.

So, what's the problem? ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Feb-11 8:28 am 

Unfortunately, that isn't Celestial Dawn's current wording.

Quote:
Lands you control are Plains.
Nonland cards you own that aren't in play, spells you control, and nonland permanents you control are white.
You may spend white mana as though it were mana of any color. You may spend other mana only as though it were colorless mana.

While your general will now be white, it still has whatever coloured mana symbols it was supposed to, so if your general isn't white to begin with, you'd better hope you have something to do with colourless mana.

Offline Profile