Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-21 2:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151
 Post subject: Re: "Ban card X... it wins too many games in my area!"
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-09 12:16 pm 

paragon_deku wrote:
I wish the social stigma of destroying manarocks in commander would go away

Does such a stigma exist? I was not aware of this.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-09 12:27 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
paragon_deku wrote:

Yeah, me neither.

There's enough mass-artifact destruction that you kind of have to accept that it'll happen (which is what makes Darksteel Ingot a nice mana rock for many decks, even mono-coloured ones).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-09 3:22 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
paragon_deku wrote:

I've definitely experienced a stigma against targeting a single person's Gruul Signet or Mind Stone for removal, especially early in the game. I can sympathize with that since it does lead to feel bad moments, and in my opinion it's usually pretty bad threat assessment to waste targeted removal on something like that. For something like Sol Ring or Mana Crypt though I have zero sympathy since those cards provide so much advantage early on. And like Carthain said mass artifact removal should be expected and shouldn't really lead to a stigma since it's not just targeting a single mana rock.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 6:07 am 

paragon_deku wrote:
I don’t think sol ring should be banned, as I find mana crypt to be more elusive to new players and more frustrating to deal with. On that note, I wish the social stigma of destroying manarocks in commander would go away

At least in my playgroup this is not an issue, but it rarely happend except for an overloaded vandalblast

Nobody in my group will bother wasting a precious removal like Krosan grip in a signet unless he/she is trolling

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
Phelddagrif The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 6:51 am 

alexev wrote:
paragon_deku wrote:
I don’t think sol ring should be banned, as I find mana crypt to be more elusive to new players and more frustrating to deal with. On that note, I wish the social stigma of destroying manarocks in commander would go away

At least in my playgroup this is not an issue, but it rarely happend except for an overloaded vandalblast

Nobody in my group will bother wasting a precious removal like Krosan grip in a signet unless he/she is trolling

Yeah I think that's the thing with spot removing mana rocks. It's like, what the heck are you doing? This thing could destroy any number of game-changing bombs, and you just used it on a mana rock? Why would you do that? If someone did that I'd probably be a bit confused and concerned that I might be in for some unfun due to some overcompetitive behaviour that doesn't work well in EDH -- are you operating on 1v1 tactics that don't work well in EDH, or are you the kind of player who seeks to shut individuals out of the game ASAP? Whatever it is, it's a bad sign and doesn't bode well for the game to come. If you could read my expression at that happening you wouldn't be wrong to read that as conveying some stigma regarding spot destruction of mana rocks, even if they weren't mine.

I'm not sure I'd Vandalblast a turn 1 or 2 sol ring even if I had the opportunity -- even if that Sol Ring could change the game a lot I want to see what my opponent can do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 8:29 am 

This is an anecdote of limited scope, but playing in MTGO over the weekend I had my azorious signet hit by a naturalize before I got to untap with it. I was definitely taken aback, not because my rock got destroyed, I just played my brain in a jar (which got krosan gripped a couple turns later), but because that player has no idea what threats could be played by any of the other players in the next few turns.

At that point in the game, no-one knows what each others decks are capable of, and so I think hitting a rock like that is a bad play. As far as I can see there are two likely outcomes, either the player kept a sketchy hand with a good 3 or 4 drop, so hitting their rock means they may not hit their 3rd land and be screwed for a while, or you set one person back marginally for a turn and they will continue to play unabated and you wasted a card. Neither is particularly appealing to me.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 9:42 am 

I'd certainly consider hitting a T1 Sol Ring/Mana Crypt, but anything that just "+1's" your mana production including signets (land + signet = 2 mana), talismans, manalith-equivalents etc etc I'd probably leave alone, saving my artifact destruction for something relevant.

Having said that if my opponent has 4 lands and 4 "+1's" in play, I'd certainly consider blowing them all up at once (even without other targets) because they're clearly up to no good.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 10:03 am 

Viperion wrote:
I'd certainly consider hitting a T1 Sol Ring/Mana Crypt, but anything that just "+1's" your mana production including signets (land + signet = 2 mana), talismans, manalith-equivalents etc etc I'd probably leave alone, saving my artifact destruction for something relevant.

Having said that if my opponent has 4 lands and 4 "+1's" in play, I'd certainly consider blowing them all up at once (even without other targets) because they're clearly up to no good.

This.

I can also see targeting something like Gilded Lotus that provides a significant boost (5 to 8 and likely 9 mana the next turn), but it's not worth wasting a card on a signet, unless it's incidental - if I'm casting Hull Breach to get rid of someone's problematic enchantment (Oh, you're gonna turn 2 Luminarch Ascension A-hole?), I'd at least consider popping a mana rock, especially if that player hasn't missed any land drops. Or if casting Decimate and there aren't any other artifacts to hit, but you have other targets you want gone... these situations come up. But wasting a card specifically to kill a signet? Nope.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 10:39 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
paragon_deku wrote:

LGS culture is obviously not consistent throughout the world, but in my city most playgroups get very frustrated over it.

Also, to everyone talking about how artifact removal on mana rocks is a waste and bad threat assessment, I usually end up blowing up a sol ring or mana crypt with my elf deck or teysa deck since the first has broken bond and I need mana ramp anyway and the later has so much artifact and enchantment hate that I may as well play that fragmentize.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 10:44 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
alexev wrote:
paragon_deku wrote:

Yeah I think that's the thing with spot removing mana rocks. It's like, what the heck are you doing? This thing could destroy any number of game-changing bombs, and you just used it on a mana rock? Why would you do that? If someone did that I'd probably be a bit confused and concerned that I might be in for some unfun due to some overcompetitive behaviour that doesn't work well in EDH -- are you operating on 1v1 tactics that don't work well in EDH, or are you the kind of player who seeks to shut individuals out of the game ASAP? Whatever it is, it's a bad sign and doesn't bode well for the game to come. If you could read my expression at that happening you wouldn't be wrong to read that as conveying some stigma regarding spot destruction of mana rocks, even if they weren't mine.

I'm not sure I'd Vandalblast a turn 1 or 2 sol ring even if I had the opportunity -- even if that Sol Ring could change the game a lot I want to see what my opponent can do.

In my playgroup, mana rocks like sol ring and crypt are almost always either lead-ins to turn 3 combos or let somebody screw over the boardstate constantly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-10 11:39 am 

As an aside, your playgroup seems heavily slanted towards glass cannon combo decks. Do people run any sadistic sacrament type effects?

Lab maniac decks don't work very well without the lab maniac.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Online Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151