Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-26 6:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Ban card X... it wins too many games in my area!"
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-19 6:33 am 

illuknisaa wrote:
Guys why are we talking about Crift when we all know that the real problem is Sol Ring.
Everybody drink!

Quote:
I've been trying to play games without sol ring but most of the time people question why sol isn't allowed and when I reply (if I didn't want to play against stax, land destruction, time magic etc. nobody would bat an eye) with sol ring being a broken magic card people start debating, cursing and calling me a shitty person. There as one game where I dared to voice my opinions on sol ring people would gang up on me and take me out and then just play sol ring anyway. Note that this was a lobby hosted by me with the title of "no sol ring".

Fun social format we got here.
Make that same lobby with 'no counterspell' and get the same treatment. On the internet people like to be dicks.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-19 10:01 am 

MODO is a different animal. Commander almost exclusively lives within the casual/fun games section, and yet people will bring the most broken competitive decks they can, others play fun wacky decks. Ultimately when the meta is that big you will find people who don't care about your fun.

Some people just have extreme biases. Both my online decks are blue, both have some counterspells because thats how you deal with threats in blue. The number of people that have flown off the handle, conceded the match or gone after me at the expense of everything else after I counter once is staggering. People attach strong emotions to particular experiences, the benefit of MTGO is you can just open another window.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-19 6:29 pm 

specter404 wrote:
Commander almost exclusively lives within the casual/fun games section

How do you mean this, when the rest of the sentence is
specter404 wrote:
and yet people will bring the most broken competitive decks they can

Does the latter not disprove the former? EDH is a format that allows you to play every tutor and about half of the tier 1 fast mana, i can't see how it lives exclusively within casual/fun games when it allows these cards since those cards allow for very fast paced cutthroat games, which has it's own appeal when you get past the fact that those cards can also ruin games for people who don't feel that appeal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 7:30 am 

He is referring to the section labels in the online platform.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 7:35 am 

MRHblue wrote:
illuknisaa wrote:
Guys why are we talking about Crift when we all know that the real problem is Sol Ring.
Everybody drink!

Quote:
I've been trying to play games without sol ring but most of the time people question why sol isn't allowed and when I reply (if I didn't want to play against stax, land destruction, time magic etc. nobody would bat an eye) with sol ring being a broken magic card people start debating, cursing and calling me a shitty person. There as one game where I dared to voice my opinions on sol ring people would gang up on me and take me out and then just play sol ring anyway. Note that this was a lobby hosted by me with the title of "no sol ring".

Fun social format we got here.
Make that same lobby with 'no counterspell' and get the same treatment. On the internet people like to be dicks.

Did you even read the post? Banning stuff like land destruction and stax is completely fine by most people (and I'm pretty sure counterspells hit that same category) but ban one fast mana rock and people lose their minds. People just join my lobby to call me an asshole for not allowing sol ring and then leave.

RC and wotc have chosen to foster this environment where sol ring is fine and people get drunk on power. Now that people got that power they don't want to let go. No other card generates this kind of vitriol.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 8:45 am 

MRHblue wrote:
He is referring to the section labels in the online platform.

Oh, that makes more sense. Can you tag it however you please?, or is 4 player commander labeled by wotc as 'casual'? I never played edh on modo.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-21 11:43 am 

illuknisaa wrote:
Did you even read the post? Banning stuff like land destruction and stax is completely fine by most people (and I'm pretty sure counterspells hit that same category) but ban one fast mana rock and people lose their minds. People just join my lobby to call me an asshole for not allowing sol ring and then leave.

RC and wotc have chosen to foster this environment where sol ring is fine and people get drunk on power.
Now that people got that power they don't want to let go. No other card generates this kind of vitriol.

No sir; this is completely off-base. Banning answers is something that simply shouldn't be done- because this particular format has almost the entire Vintage cardpool- there be real combos out in these waters. Second, EDH was never meant to be played as a semi-competitive MTGO format; Wizards have made that decision of their own accord. The Sol Ring issue is one that is handled on a group-by-group basis like any of the rules in a DnD game- but I promise you, even with a full ban of fastrocks in place, the sortof decks that rise to the top aren't remotely similar to anything like Stax or MLD because those strategies often find themselves being too fragile to survive their own setups. EDH is a social game first, and a competition only after that :). If you want to improve your MTGO experience, all I could recommend, is finding a group on a forum to regularly play with, establish your own agreed-upon ruleset and explore what is here as a group- since a PUG where you demand extra rules can go poorly for obvious reasons.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-21 2:15 pm 

illuknisaa wrote:
Did you even read the post? Banning stuff like land destruction and stax is completely fine by most people (and I'm pretty sure counterspells hit that same category)
Considering entire portions of how magic is supposed to work are based on those things, I'd say this is objectively false. Removing portions of the game might be fine for you or your group (if you have one), but my group doesn't shy away from these strategies. They get boring when overdone, but that applies to every deck.

illuknisaa wrote:
but ban one fast mana rock and people lose their minds. People just join my lobby to call me an asshole for not allowing sol ring and then leave.
Mtgo sucks for commander as a whole, since you really can't get social interactions with people unless you either get lucky or make a private room to play with friends.

illuknisaa wrote:
RC and wotc have chosen to foster this environment where sol ring is fine and people get drunk on power. Now that people got that power they don't want to let go. No other card generates this kind of vitriol.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Pretty sure that honor is for Iona. In a multiplayer environment, fast rocks are only an incentive for your opponents to play more interaction. You might pull away and win occasionally, but you'll never have the resources of three opponents.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-23 3:59 am 

It looks like both of you completely missed the point.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-23 5:37 am 

illuknisaa wrote:
It looks like both of you completely missed the point.

Ever consider that they did see the point, but don't actually agree with you and are perhaps making counterpoints to your post?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your point is that if you try to soft-ban Sol Ring (ie, set up a game online saying that you don't want people to have sol rings in their decks) then you often get people joining your game just to verbally/textually abuse you.

Or they would start the game and use you wanting to soft-ban Sol Ring as a rallying point to just pick on you from the get-go of the game, and also blatantly just play Sol Ring anyways.

That's what you're saying right?

If so - then what did you exactly expect to get done by posting your experiences here?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-23 5:39 am 

specter404 wrote:
MODO is a different animal. Commander almost exclusively lives within the casual/fun games section, and yet people will bring the most broken competitive decks they can, others play fun wacky decks. Ultimately when the meta is that big you will find people who don't care about your fun.

Some people just have extreme biases. Both my online decks are blue, both have some counterspells because thats how you deal with threats in blue. The number of people that have flown off the handle, conceded the match or gone after me at the expense of everything else after I counter once is staggering. People attach strong emotions to particular experiences, the benefit of MTGO is you can just open another window.

I get this in pauper too. There's one guy will insta-block countermagic. I treasure his comments... "You never learn, blocked again".
But I have learned to expect tournament level decks in the casual room, nobody cares about social contracts on mtgo

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 9:34 am 

So in other news Channel Fireball ran a top 100 cards in magic poll. I'm unsure of their methodology (but being pros they're very sure of themselves) and we see at 1, at 2, and
the Moxes
at 3, all currently banned in Commander, and at position 4? .....

Does this change anything? Does it put it more firmly in the spotlight?
I like good cards so I don't think so.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 9:45 am 

Does Sol Ring ever get played in any format that's not EDH? I don't think I've ever seen it in a Legacy or Vintage match.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 10:10 am 

Viperion wrote:
Does Sol Ring ever get played in any format that's not EDH? I don't think I've ever seen it in a Legacy or Vintage match.

So I am building a vintage deck that will be running 1 Sol Ring... but that means one of my EDH decks will have to give it up. (Day's Undoing belcher if you are interested).

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 10:12 am 

Viperion wrote:

And I don't think I've ever seen it in a T8 Modern deck. Such a bad card.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next