[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Cremation Revisited

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 6:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Cremation Revisited
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-09 7:02 pm 

LIST OF CARDS THAT PUNISH GRAVEYARD STRATEGIES

Traps - This category is for all the cards that can wait to reveal themselves in response to an unsuspecting opponent when they attempt to exploit their graveyard. Most of the situations in which having GY hate means the difference between winning and losing, this is the category you want. Cards from another category will at best only delay that GY combo going off or that Iona or that getting recurred.

Reactions - These are like traps except that they aren't hidden. They exist in plain view and your opponents are forced to try to play around them.

Initiatives - These are cards that don't typically function at instant speed but which empty graveyards (either completely empty or just one or two key cards) so that later graveyard-based spells will not be as threatening. Note that many of the cards in the above categories of Traps and Reactions can be used in this way; is a great example of a case where it's often correct to hold it in your hand so as not to let your opponents know you have it, then play it after a massive or something like that.

Deterrents - Every Deterrent is also a Reaction; it forces your opponents to play around it, but is worse than other Reactions (like ) because it doesn't have any lasting effect after it has been destroyed. It just buys time, which is far less meaningful in EDH than it is legacy (for example) because not only is the time it buys less because there are more players trying to find an answer for it, but even if it bought the same number of turns it would still be less significant because EDH games tend to take longer, making each EDH turn "worth" less than a legacy turn. The whole time that Leyline is sitting around while your opponents wait to destroy it, it's having a lasting impact on the cards that are going to graveyards. That said, Deterrents aren't all bad. They're pretty useful when your opponents have a narrow window to use their graveyard spells (for example when or or forces them to do so).

Tutors - These don't count as GY hate themselves, but I thought it would be worth including them in the list because they can make certain types of GY hate way more effective ()

Junk - These are awful as graveyard hate in this format and you really shouldn't play them, but they do get the job done, sometimes, maybe, if you're lucky.

Pseudohate - These cards are actually pretty good and you will probably see some of them a lot in the format, but other cards will generally be more efficient if you're specifically looking for graveyard hate.

Outclassed - These are better than Junk or Pseudohate, but they're just less efficient than other options in their respective colors.

Last edited by intreped on 2015-Oct-08 10:50 am, edited 20 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Cremation Revisited
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-09 7:58 pm 

I don't see Gaea's Blessing. That card + Loaming Shaman are my go-to GY hate in decks that feature a general that can tutor, due to their double use as recursion.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-09 8:04 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Nice list. Really exhaustive, and great analysis of each card. I want to go and edit your post, though, and put in place of . I think that is also better than due to the draw (and also it protects you against mill combo i guess?). Another great trap card, that is unfortunately restricted due to its colours, is . I can't imagine playing a deck with those colours and not including that crazy diamond.

There's a class of cards, starting with , that work great as initiatives (liking this categorization thing you got going) in addition to being super powerful on their own. Not a lot of people really think of them as graveyard hate, but it's tough to lose to reanimator when you're playing a deck that loves its draw7s.

Finally, concluding with a nitpick, I think you're really underestimating . I love that card, and think of it like a black . Super cheap, never gets in the way, replaces itself, and gives you a small but really tangible benefit. Like Ponder it's sometimes hard to find room for it, but it's hardly ever wrong to play a copy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-09 9:34 pm 

This was terribly useful. Thanks!

Captain Sisay--Aggro Control

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-09 10:41 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-10 3:22 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-10 6:23 am 

You have , but you are missing it's cousin . More mana, but more saprolings, and it will work if they only have 1 creature in the yard.

is a decent hate spell at instant speed that can be cycled if it won't be useful.

shuffles away a graveyard, while also tutoring for a creature or shuffling away a problem permanent.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-10 7:36 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-10 8:22 am 

You missed one of my all-time favourites: . It's a fairly good trap, but can double as a tutor.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-10 9:01 am 

I use Chainer, Dementia Master as a form of creature based graveyard hate since not only do I get to use the creatures I take with him against my opponents.. but if they try to take them back I can just sac him to remove the creatures from the game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-10 7:16 pm 

Gaea's BLESSING, not Gaea's Balance.

Get Reito Lantern on that list. It's also doubles as recursion in decks with tutor generals.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-11 2:23 am 

Two more cards to consider adding:
- slow use, but doubles as a blocker for fast generals
- lifelink zombies :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-12 7:53 am 

Thanks, everyone. I already had Chainer and Covenant on the list, but the others were definitely overlooked.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-12 8:08 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-12 8:42 am 

is missing from the list, he's not fantastic but he is recurrable and unblockable a decent amount of the time...what with Urborg and all

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next