Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-25 10:55 am

Post subject: Don't Attack Me: Walling up & pointing attackers elsewhere
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-24 5:45 am 

Notice: In late September this list will get reformatted into one for general combat step manipulation. Thank you for all the suggestions, and keep them coming - they'll be added soon. :)

~~~~

I've recently created a deck I hope will be fun, and in the course of that, had to examine cards that would let me wall up and discourage attacks my direction. I'd like to share a list of the cards I've compiled. All lists are ordered by CMC (with {X} treated as 1, not 0).

I am open to suggestions if I've missed anything.

Notes:
  • Please use these cards responsibly and be mindful of the fun of your fellow players. The cards on this list are here for comprehensiveness, but some may be overpowered or unfun for your playgroup or your deck's intended power level.
  • In the right situation, an opponent can turn some of these effects against you.
    Riddlekeeper is a good example -- it instead sweetens the deal for any deck that wants to get milled. This list assumes ideal conditions, that if there is a cost, the attacker won't want it to happen.
  • Some of these cards seem like outright garbage, but are unique enough I've included them anyway, like Web of Inertia. Maybe you'll make them work for you.

Part 1 of 2: Don't Attack Me

Attack Tax Permanents
These effects impose a direct and immediately-felt cost to attacking you specifically.

Mana payment
Elephant Grass - G
Ghostly Prison - 2W
Propaganda - 2U
War Tax - 2U
Archangel of Tithes - 1WWW
Collective Restraint - 3U
Koskun Falls - 2BB
Windborn Muse - 3W
Norn's Annex - 3{W/P}{W/P}
Sphere of Safety - 4W

Life payment
Hissing Miasma - 1BB
Blood Reckoning - 3B
Marchesa's Decree - 3B

Attackers damaged
Circle of Flame - 1R
Raking Canopy - 1GG
Lightmine Field - 2WW (affects you as well)
Barbed Foliage - 2GG (and they lose flanking)

"Creatures can't attack you" (if conditionally)
Island Sanctuary - 1W, skip a draw and creatures without flying/islandwalk can't attack you.
Orzhov Advokist - 2W, bribe your opponents to look elsewhere.
Peacekeeper - 2W (1W upkeep), no creatures can attack.
Reverence - 2WW, creatures with power 2 or less can't attack you.
Moat - 2WW, creatures without flying can't attack you.
Chronomantic Escape - 4WW (or suspend 3 for 2W), periodically nothing can attack you.
Form of the Dragon - 4RRR, creatures without flying can't attack you (at a major cost).
Sandwurm Convergence - 6GG, creatures without flying can't attack you or your planeswalkers.
Blazing Archon - 6WWW. "Creatures can't attack you." :!:

(Related: Peace Talks, which temporarily prevents all attacks.)

Retribution for damage dealt directly to you
Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker - 3W
No Mercy - 2BB
Dissipation Field - 2UU, successful attackers get bounced. (Warning: makes you a target for creatures with ETB effects.)
Vengeful Pharaoh - 2BBB
Darien, King of Kjeldor - 4WW
Dread - 3BBB
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts - 5WB

Defensive ability spreading
Odric, Lunarch Marshal - 3W
Concerted Effort - 2WW
Archetype of Finality - 4BB

Anything else
Orim's Prayer - 1WW (you gain life for attackers)
Briar Patch - 1GG (attackers nerfed)
Gravity Well - 1GG (attackers lose flying)
Riddlekeeper - 2U (attacker gets milled)
Web of Inertia - 2U (attacker must exile a card from their graveyard for permission to attack - once for all attackers, not one per attacker, so a pretty trivial cost)
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs - 3RR (you get a 3/3 ogre blocker unless they pay {3})
Lost in the Woods - 3GG (attackers removed from combat without untapping them)
Isperia, Supreme Judge - 2WWUU (you may draw a card for each attacker)

Relevant search patterns: "can't attack*you*unless", "whenever * attacks you"

Retributive Blockers/Permanents
These creatures present some form of retributive threat that directly discourages the idea of attacking you. It goes above and beyond merely "your creature might get blocked and/or killed", there must be some further significant benefit to you or your board once that creature blocks or an opponent's creature deals damage to you.

Wall of Hope - W
Slumbering Dragon - R
High Priest of Penance - WB
Mogg Maniac - 1R
Broodhatch Nantuko - 1G
Protean Hydra - XG
Boros Reckoner - {R/W}{R/W}{R/W}
Ophiomancer - 2B
Stinkweed Imp - 2B
Royal Assassin - 1BB
Hornet Nest - 2G
Jagged Poppet - 1BR (in a hellbent/madness deck)
Souls of the Faultless - WBB
Glissa, the Traitor - BGG
Nirkana Cutthroat - 2B
Cairn Wanderer - 4B
False Prophet - 2WW
Saber Ants - 3G
Spitemare - 2{R/W}{R/W}
Stuffy Doll - 5
Illusory Ambusher - 4U
Sprouting Phytohydra - 4G
Archon of Justice - 3WW
Phytohydra - 2GWW
Coalhauler Swine - 4RR
Vigor - 3GGG
Kami of the Honored Dead - 5WW

Also look for: combinations of Lifelink, Deathtouch, Indestructible, and/or Protection. (Not mentioned in this list for brevity unless they're exceptional in some way.)

Relevant searches: "whenever ~ is dealt damage", "if*damage*would be dealt".

Extraordinary Blockers
These creatures aren't retributive, but they make attacking you hard above and beyond what most creatures would do.

Serene Master - 1W
Shape Stealer - UU
Guardian of the Gateless - 4W
Majestic Myriarch - 4G

Ablative Armor
These blockers treat damage of any size more or less equally, making them equipped to take on disproportionately enormous attackers.
Phantom Nomad - 1W
Phantom Nantuko - 2G
Phantom Tiger - 2G
Undergrowth Champion - 1GG
Phantom Centaur - 2GG
Phantom Flock - 3WW
Phantom Worm - 4GG
Phantom Nishoba - 5GW
(Quirk note: the Phantoms in this list prevent damage even when they have no counters, so become more or less invincible if their toughness is boosted.)

Noteworthy categories:

Combat Trick Spells
These spells don't necessarily provide visible deterrent on the board, but they can turn an attack around to your advantage, and will make an opponent wary about the cards you have in your hand. Cards in this category must not merely prevent damage or stop an attack (if they even do so at all); they must actively add punishment for attacking or let you turn an attack against someone else.

Retribution/redirection for (potentially) all attackers
Acolyte's Reward - 1W
Divine Deflection - XW
Harsh Justice - 2W
Pariah - 2W
Wing Shards - 1WW (against decks with heavy spellcasting)
Comeuppance - 3W
Selfless Squire - 3W
Aetherize - 3U
Illusionist's Gambit - 2UU
Master Warfract - 2{R/W}{R/W} (you choose how they attack)
Channel Harm - 5W
Mirror Match - 4UU (especially vs creatures with ETBs or abilities to use)

Retribution against just one attacker
Deflecting Palm - RW
Portal Mage - 2U

Surprise ability gain/shifting
Blaze of Glory - W (one creature, not necessarily your own, can and must block all attackers)
Phyrexian Splicer - 2
Baton of Morale - 2 (for banding*)
Nature's Blessing - 2WG (for banding*)
* be prepared to explain to your group how banding works.

(Not included: the many, many spells which simply remove an attacker.)

Part 2 of 2: Attack Someone Else Instead
If a creature's attacking someone else, it can't also be attacking you!

Some cards in this section have already been featured in part 1; those card names are italicised. (This also means they do double duty.)

All creatures must attack (someone else / anyone)
Grenzo, Havoc Raiser - RR (provided you break through with attacks to goad creatures)
Goblin Spymaster - 2R
Curse of the Nightly Hunt - 2R (one player)
Grand Melee - 3R
Fumiko the Lowblood - 2RR
Disrupt Decorum - 2RR (goad everything)
Warmonger Hellkite - 4RR
(You're using stuff from Part 1 to discourage attacks against you, right?)

See also: Goad cards, "attack each combat", "attack each turn"

Incentivise attacks against others
Duelist's Heritage - 2W
Vow of Duty - 2W
Vow of Flight - 2U
Vow of Malice - 2B
Vow of Lightning - 2R
Vow of Wildness - 2G
Orzhov Advokist - 2W
Assault Suit - 4
Brutal Hordechief - 3B
Master Warcraft - 2{R/W}{R/W}
Rite of the Raging Storm - 3RR
Boros Battleshaper - 5RW

"Attack That Specific Player"
Curse of Opulence - R
Curse of Stalked Prey - 1R
Curse of Bounty - 1G
Crown of Doom - 3 (recommendation: make sure you have hexproof)
Curse of the Forsaken - 2W
Curse of Vitality - 2W
Curse of Interia - 2U
Curse of Verbosity - 2U
Curse of Disturbance - 2B
Curse of Shallow Graves - 2B
Curse of Chaos - 2R
Curse of Predation - 2G
Mathas, Fiend Seeker - RWB
Bitter Feud - 4R (encourage two players to attack each other.)
Curse of Bloodletting - 3RR

Attack redirection
Portal Mage - 2U
Illusionist's Gambit - 2UU

Donation candidates
These cards apply only if you can donate them to someone else via e.g. Zedruu the Greathearted, Harmless Offering, Bazaar Trader.
Goblin Rabblemaster - 2R
Goblin Assault - 2R
Hellraiser Goblin - 2R

Capitalise on attacks
Once someone's attacking someone else, these could be used in your favour.
Berserk - G (boost an attacker, then destroy it)
Domineering Will - 3U

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2017-Sep-12 11:38 am, edited 20 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Don't Attack Me: cards for walling up & discouraging attack
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-24 12:51 pm 

I feel like there may be a better way to organize such a list. I'll have to think on ideas.

That said, here are some notables missing from your list (or I missed seeing them):

Attack Tax (and sub divisions)
Moat - and it's Magus, maybe replace Teferi's Moat
Gravity Well - Tends to waylay a lot of flying attacks in general
Dissipation Field - not just for combat, but really discourages attacks
Concerted Effort - See Odric

Retribution
Glissa, the Traitor - First Strike and Deathtouch (without mana-cost to get one or the other)
Nirkana Cutthroat - First Strike and Deathtouch (once leveled)
Cairn Wanderer - See Odric

Extraordinary Blockers
Shape Stealer - see Serene Master
Majestic Myriarch - Like Odric, but can also share First strike with Deathtouch (usually easier than sharing double strike)
Phantom Nishoba - And the other phantoms: Phantom Wurm, Phantom Centaur, Phantom Tiger, Phantom Nantuko, Phantom Flock, Phantom Nomad. Of note, these are why Undergrowth Champion has the "while it has a counter" clause. With the Phantoms, as long as you can raise their toughness above 0 (say with Gaea's Anthem) they can block all day with no counters and still never die.

Combat Tricks
Master Warcraft - No, no, no... let me choose how your 136 plant tokens attack...
Wing Shards - Especially if they cast a bunch of stuff before combat (like Prowess decks)
Pariah - cast on an opponent's high-value creature and that opponent is unlikely to attack you until they can get rid of it. And it is in Sun Titan range

Other:
Phyrexian Splicer - Can really give pause when declaring attackers. Not only can you steal an ability from an attacker; but if, say, any creature on the board has first strike, you can use that...
Nature's Blessing and Baton of Morale - The power of banding for defense should not be underestimated.

Also may want to mention "other" combat tricks, like Berserk (great cast on that creature going after somebody else because they couldn't pay your tax to attack you) and Blaze of Glory (good for blocking defense, or on another player's high-value creature when they are attacked)

Quote:
All attackers
Divine Intervention - XW
I don't think that is the card you meant. Divine Deflection maybe.

On a side note, I once won a game because of an opponent's Kazuul, since we were both low on life. I resurrected Blood Seeker, alpha striked and didn't pay for Kazuul. He got enough ogres to die from the seeker triggers.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-24 10:20 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
I feel like there may be a better way to organize such a list. I'll have to think on ideas.

That said, here are some notables missing from your list (or I missed seeing them):

Thanks for the suggestions! I've corrected the reference to Divine Deflection (thanks for pointing out that mistake), and I've added all of the cards you mentioned about cards except Berserk -- I'd like your input on something related to that card (see my next quote reply). I also removed Teferi's Moat like you suggested since it's garbage compared to the ordinary Moat; Teferi really needs a new moat designer.

I'll definitely appreciate any organisation feedback. Here's some structural changes I've just made:
  • In the "attack tax" section, I've added two new subsections: "Retribution for damage dealt directly to you" (for No Mercy effects and Dissipation Field), and "Defensive ability spreading" which ... sorta does and sorta doesn't fit in "attack tax"? Odric, Concerted Effort, and Archetype of Finality are in there.
  • I've added an Ablative Armor section for the phantoms & Undergrowth Champion.
  • Combat Trick Spells isn't exclusively Retributive anymore. It has a new section ("Surprise ability gain/shifting") which features several of the cards you mentioned.

Treamayne wrote:
Also may want to mention "other" combat tricks, like Berserk (great cast on that creature going after somebody else because they couldn't pay your tax to attack you) and Blaze of Glory (good for blocking defense, or on another player's high-value creature when they are attacked)

I've added Blaze of Glory, but I'm not sure about Berserk (as much as I love that card) since it's not in the list's scope of walling up. However, here's something I'm considering doing -- I could add an "attack anyone else" section with effects like Goblin Spymaster, Fumiko the Lowblood, Brutal Hordechief, Rite of the Raging Storm, Death by Dragons, curses, and many others -- and then add supplementary tricks to that section like Berserk which capitalise on people attacking each other. What do you think of doing that, structure-wise?

Treamayne wrote:
On a side note, I once won a game because of an opponent's Kazuul, since we were both low on life. I resurrected Blood Seeker, alpha striked and didn't pay for Kazuul. He got enough ogres to die from the seeker triggers.

That's fantastic!! Nicely played. One day I bet someone in my playgroup's going to destroy me with effects like that or Bloodchief Ascension or Spreading Plague. :lol:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-25 2:46 am 

Some cards I didn't see on your list that you might want to look into:

Island Sanctuary (pairs well with any draw card effect, even being the Monarch and cards like Mystic Decree)
Assault Suit
Chronomantic Escape
Peace Talks
Peacekeeper
Crown of Doom
Form of the Dragon
Jeering Homunculus
Illusionist's Gambit
Maze of Ith
War Tax
Rite of the Raging Storm
Any of the vows, i.e. Vow of Duty

Good luck with the deck!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-25 4:03 am 

Gravity Well is more or less a colorshifted Gravity Sphere, might add that as well. You also missed Dread, the No Mercy on a stick. And this might be too oldschool to still be cool, but I've kept people from attacking me with a Royal Assassin since way back when I still had hair.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-25 4:58 am 

Thanks for these. Sounds like I should definitely add an "attack someone else" section (the carrot to the stick, more or less) to which Assault Suit, Crown of Doom, Rite of the Raging Storm and Goad cards will be added, among others..

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-25 8:37 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
I've added Blaze of Glory, but I'm not sure about Berserk (as much as I love that card) since it's not in the list's scope of walling up. However, here's something I'm considering doing -- I could add an "attack anyone else" section with effects like Goblin Spymaster, Fumiko the Lowblood, Brutal Hordechief, Rite of the Raging Storm, Death by Dragons, curses, and many others -- and then add supplementary tricks to that section like Berserk which capitalise on people attacking each other. What do you think of doing that, structure-wise?

I submit for consideration:

Rename the thread something like "Manipulating the Combat Step"

You can then have major headings of things like:

-Preventing/deterring attacks: These cards and effects prevent an attack or add costs (mana, life, etc.) to attempts to attack.
-Preventing/deterring blocks: These cards and effects prevent bocking or add costs (mana, life, etc.) to attempts to block. (e.g. Nacatl War-Pride whick ensures your other creatures are not blocked barring High Ground effects.
-Attack Retribution: These cards and effects retaliate against attacking creatures and/or their controller.
-Manipulating declarations: These cards and effects manipulate what can attack, who declares the attack/block, forces attack/block and removes attacking/blocking creatures from combat after declaration
- Incentivizing attacks (elsewhere): The cards and effects incentivize your opponent to send their creatures somewhere else. (e.g. Edric, Curses, Crown of Doom type effects)
- Other Combat Tricks

Then, if needed, you can subdivide those categories...

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-25 9:18 am 

Treamayne wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:

I submit for consideration:

Rename the thread something like "Manipulating the Combat Step"

You can then have major headings of things like:

-Preventing/deterring attacks: These cards and effects prevent an attack or add costs (mana, life, etc.) to attempts to attack.
-Preventing/deterring blocks: These cards and effects prevent bocking or add costs (mana, life, etc.) to attempts to block. (e.g. Nacatl War-Pride whick ensures your other creatures are not blocked barring High Ground effects.
-Attack Retribution: These cards and effects retaliate against attacking creatures and/or their controller.
-Manipulating declarations: These cards and effects manipulate what can attack, who declares the attack/block, forces attack/block and removes attacking/blocking creatures from combat after declaration
- Incentivizing attacks (elsewhere): The cards and effects incentivize your opponent to send their creatures somewhere else. (e.g. Edric, Curses, Crown of Doom type effects)
- Other Combat Tricks

Then, if needed, you can subdivide those categories...

This sounds like a good plan. :) I haven't done much study into the preventing/deterring blocks category, but I can start & work with the helpful community here to flesh it out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Don't Attack Me: Walling up & pointing attackers elsewhere
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-25 11:39 am 

Examples you can use to make search queries:

Odric, Master Tactician
Provoke
Brutal Hordechief
Gruul Charm

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-26 12:37 am 

Crown of Doom specifies other than it's owner, so hexproof isn't necessary.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-12 4:30 am 

It's pricey but I've found a few mana open and a Forcefield on the board stops a lot of attacks from coming my way.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-15 4:55 am 

Powerstone Minefield is another card that damages attackers. Also blockers!

I think it's important to note that Moat and Magus of the Moat stop all attacks from nonflying creatures, not just attacks against you. So it tends to grind the game to a halt and make people hate you who might otherwise have been ok with the idea of not attacking you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-15 8:35 am 

Do you feel a Wall of Tears would deter attacks? Or is the likely prevalence of ETB abilities make this more into an attraction to be attacked instead of a deterrent?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-15 9:00 am 

I feel it would be considered a deterrent. Honestly a lot of these things are subjective; Suicide Black would *love* to attack into Powerstone Minefield and Dredge would *love* to attack into a Riddlekeeper. For some sanity in listing this stuff we gotta assume we're playing an opponent who hasn't turned the tables on us. :P But then, in deckbuilding, we can wisely choose whether or not to use some of these things.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-15 9:17 am 

I mean, I'd love to run my Eternal Witness into Wall of Tears; but there's no way to guarantee you'll block with it, or that it's the only blocker you have.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile