Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-22 9:12 am

Post subject: General deckbuilding tips for consistency
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-24 3:07 am 

Before starting, english is not my natal tongue so my apologies for any mistake

So, this topic is about general deckbuilding strategy and how to build a deck that has a consistency in the strategy but can also make a fight, this topic is intended for "casual competitive" , I said casual-competitive because my playgroup does not like (nor allow) infinite insta-win combos, in our playgroup you can have an insta-win combo in your deck if the rest of your deck is not tunned for it, I mean, you can have a mike and trike combo in your deck as long as mike is not your general and the rest of the deck is not focused on finding the pieces and win, but we all play our best to win in a 'fair' gameplay

Just to clarify, I do not have or have built an Edric so my considerations about it may be wrong, I am using him as an example so I do not talk about my own deck

To start, imagine this situation, when you play a Edric, spymaster of trest , you can put 50 1,2 and 3 cmc evasive creatures, 32 lands and the rest some strategy enablers like a few counters, some enchants like beastmaster ascencion, etc.

Because you have those 'stats' in the deck you will have a lot of consistency in your strategy, you will always draw a few creatures with evasion , or a counterspell or other thing that works proactively to your strategy.

But when we build "all in" in a certain strategy, we have some issues against many situations, because the other 3 players actually do stuff in the game so they will be trying to stop our plans while developing theirs, so I learned that is not enought to have the cards to develop your game plan, you also need cards to help you develop than plan against the other players atempts to disrupt them.

In that case, we can add a 2nd or 3rd wincon, sometimes a combo, sometime graveyard recursion, you name it. but if you do those stats will change, you wont be having no more the 50% creature cards, or in case you choose not to drop your creature count but you will have to weaken you other spells.

Then you realize that, a 2nd wincon is not enought because of the efforts of the other players to disrupt your plans , so you will try to add some extra cards to prevent it, maybe more counters, maybe some spells that make your creatures undestructable , whatever you choose, you will be adding those in demerit of your stats again (and game plan consistency).

Then you realize that all that is not enought because other players have more things against you, maybe "sacrifice" permanents so you will be adding "anti sacrificing" stuff , some people may be doing a lot of crazy graveyard shennanigans that will wreak you, etc etc.

Everytime you try to add some "protection" to your gameplan the consistency of the main strategy seems to suffer, the more answers you add the main strategy has lesser and lesser cards to advance your plan but if you do not put those cards no matter how many cards you play in your gameplan focus, you may not be able to success.

So, do you have any "deckbuilding tips" that allows you to get the answers you need to secure your plan but not at the cost of damaging your original gameplan?

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
Phelddagrif The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: General deckbuilding tips for consistency
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-24 4:20 am 

Hi there, good question. In my playgroup there are two lines of thinking. Some of my friends don’t like playing answers in their deck, they like to just play “bigger threats.” However, i am a firm believer in having answers in a deck and every deck i make follows the same basic pattern:

10 mana ramp
7-10 draw
5-8 blow up spells
5-8 targeted removal
5-8 counterspells
2-3 graveyard hate
37-40 lands

That leaves around 25 slots that are dedicated to strictly theme or your main strategy. However, do your best to try and have your answer spells to synergize with your strategy as well. This formula can make a casual tribal turtles deck hold it’s own, but slso be used for more serious decks.

I’m curious as to what other people’s deck formulas are like.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: General deckbuilding tips for consistency
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-24 8:01 am 

I can't really say I have a 'formula' because I am not, I only have one EDH deck complete and it is a Kaalia of the vast (you can see the decklist here)

I started the deck with a simple strategy in mid, dropping Kaalia on turn 3,4 or 5 with haste and dropping fatties, then I added some graveyard reanimation package as a 2nd way to go forward in the plan.

But when you play Kaalia you are normally the enemy of the table so, casting Kaalia in turn3 and swinging is like magical Christmas, because the other players will be aware of that situation and save a counterspell or removal for it.

So I have to add some protection spells like apostle's blessing and faith's shield and some 'stax' like cards to prevent people of doing their shenanigans on my turn (defense grid, grand abolisher, price of glory, etc)

Because that was not enough and people kept doing bad things like stealing my stuff and taking turns I ended up adding things like Stranglehold, Aven mindcensor, etc.

Every time I add some 'protection' I end up weakening the primary strategy because I need to cut cards (damnt 99 limit).

So far I have

35 lands (34 because maze of ith) counts as a spell
17 Fatties
5 utility creatures (mother of runes, angel of finality, etc)
12 artifacts (3 equips, 6 mana rocks, 3 utility ones)
3 MLD (I count Blood moon as MLD)
3 card draw spells (including necropotence) and 2 creatures that draw for me

And more, so you can see there is not a 'recipe' in this deck, I am trying to make it strong enough to fight the 3vs1 that normally Kaalia ends up playing. So far so good, but sometimes I just miss the predictability of my first build.

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign The current updated decklist is here
Phelddagrif The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile