Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-21 10:29 pm

Post subject: Ideas for a Grixis "Spell" deck
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-24 9:29 am 

(Warning; convoluted thought processes ahead!)

So among other things I've been working on and off on the Prismatic Project - one deck of every colour. Of course, occasionally you come across a legendary creature or a deck theme that doesn't fit into what you already have, you start thinking about maybe having "one more deck of <x> colours, it wouldn't be that bad really......" and that's a slippery slope there's no coming back from, so I've avoided it so far.

So a while back (a loong while back) one of the RC (Ban-Ki Moon?) posted his Izzet spells deck which basically killed people with Sphinx-Bone Wand, with Melek as the Commander. I liked it so much I decided to build my own - trouble was, I already had my Izzet deck and it's a quite janky but fun deck based around Nin, that I really enjoy playing. So I have a bunch of cards for it, but have never built it.

I also have a Grixis Vampire deck, currently headed by Jeleva, which is quite bad and I don't enjoy playing much. And a Mardu Kaalia deck which is pretty much the precon, but still makes people hella nervous and gets me killed super quick because they're scared of what it might do (never mind that it's pretty much incapable of doing a whole lot).

Enter Commander 2017. Mardu Vampires to replace Kaalia frees up my Grixis slot. "Self," I thought to myself, "why not do a Grixis spell deck instead of an Izzet one?"

"Self!", I exclaimed, "that's brilliant!"

So, here we are. I want to build a spell (instants and sorceries) deck in Grixis colours. The obvious choice for Commander would seem to be Kess, however, I also have a Nekusar lying around, and this would be an excellent chance to build a not-your-usual-Nekusar deck.

Which Commander of the 17(!!!) Grixis legends would you use? What spells (especially in black) would you put in? How would you win?

Just looking for some spitballin' ideas here. Lemme know your diabolical plans!

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ideas for a Grixis "Spell" deck
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-25 3:33 am 

I'm currently tinkering with an Grixis Storm deck with Kess at the helm. Low creature count, but I have Mizix, Dralnu and a few others on the list for now. I'm running rituals and stuff like high tide and bubbling muck as well as a lot of dig and some protection. I plan on hiding behind stuff like Propoganda and No Mercy to buy an extra turn or two.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-25 11:04 am 

It seems kinda weird, but Inalla, Archmage Ritualist works pretty well as a spells commander by turning support guys like Archaeomancer, Izzet Chronarch, and Augur of Bolas up to 11.
I recently made an Inalla "Pirates"/Treasure deck that runs all the cards that make treasure, and decided to focus on the instants and sorceries and it turned out kind of awesome.
I didn't want to run Kess because there are already so few treasure-making instants and sorceries that each one you exile is a huge loss. I will re-evaluate when the second set comes out, but Inalla has proved to be so much fun that I doubt I will switch now.
Getting the Archaeomancer + Ghostly Flicker combo out with Inalla is just absurd, and it got downright dirty when the other thing I was blinking was Prosperous Pirates and the other spell I was returning was Spell Swindle. Getting two Augur of Bolas and then getting two more with Bloodline Necromancer was just unbelievable value too.
I mean there are only eight wizards in the deck but they work so well with the spells that it feels like an army of wizards casting the spells you love over and over.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-23 12:25 pm 

I actually decided (cause Grixis season) to make a deck (first time in years) and decided on a poor-mans'- budget Grixis spell/wizard tribal deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/support-shaco/?cb=1540345495http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/support-shaco/?cb=1540345495

Lots of interesting combos with Inlla, with flickers spells, archaeomancer and his kin, etc. Essential engine is one of the versions of Izzet Chronarch + Displace, using Inlla to grab 2 spells, while also bouncing a Ghitu Journeymage or Anathemancer.

I also wanted to kill people in unsuspecting ways like Backdraft, Delirium, or Shriveling Rot. Basically all cards that when people abuse some stuff can stop them immediately.

I wanted to keep the counters to a minimum, but the redirects to a high. Figure that rather than the normal murder/clone/kill stuff out there I'd try a different strategy that I hope will challenge the meta while not drawing on hate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-24 1:46 pm 

Grixis battlemage tribal: the only creatures in the deck are wizards that are grixis colored.

Why play crap like Snapcaster Mage when you could have Krovikan Elementalist instead?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 1:40 am 

I actually have a Kess deck running right now, and it's one of my favorites (I say that as though any of my decks aren't but I digress). It's mostly focused on modal cards and cantrips, trying to get the most out of Kess's abilities as I possibly can. I also have a lot of cost reduction cards like the Medallions or Jace's Sanctum so that I can just spam cards all day long and always have mana open.

As for how the deck wins, I don't have too many "solid" win conditions aside from I guess the Sphinx-Bone Wand, but a lot of little things that all contribute. Burning Vengeance is the best spell ever printed for this deck, my pet cards Psychotic Fury and Twisted Image have won me a surprisingly large amount of games, the occasional PW manages to stick around and cause some nasty stuff, and of course there's plenty of the standard control "useful ability attached to a fat flier" like Hypersonic Dragon or original Niv-Mizzet.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 5:11 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
It's mostly focused on modal cards and cantrips, trying to get the most out of Kess's abilities as I possibly can.

Sounds like a lot of beacons, zeniths, and buyback cards. Arcane splicing is probably really prevalent also.

Kemev wrote:
Why play crap like Snapcaster Mage when you could have Krovikan Elementalist instead?

You mean like they have to have color identify of all three types? I'm going to have to go count how many available there are, there are like 6 or 7 legends that fit the bill.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-25 5:32 am 

I'm not going to claim that this is a good deck; but it's been incredibly fun to play a Kess, Dissident Mage deck that plays all of the "big milling" instants/sorceries, trying to kill via Duskmantle Guildmage, Guiltfeeder, Soulquake/Empty the Catacombs/Head Games into Blood Oath...or sometimes, if you're lucky enough, just via milling.

The decklist itself never got posted here, but the sort of theorycraft/skeleton is here: Blood Oath Theory

Offline Profile