Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-22 8:44 am

Post subject: Phoebe or X?
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 12:35 am 

Hey all,

So, in the spirit of Un-mander month I am building an Agents of S.N.E.A.K. deck. However, I have two wonderful choices and I can't decide between them:

Phoebe: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=439524

X: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=439526

What to do? I expect the deck to be Contraption-light and have a healthy mix of silver and black border cards, if that helps at all. Whichever one isn't the Commander will also be in the 99, so one option might be to split the difference and just rotate the leader.

I imagine the X deck would be more focused on copy and clone effects to play two of whatever my opponent's win conditions are. Phoebe is more....ubiquitous? She doesn't steal the PT of whatever she's using her ability on, so I feel like Voltron is probably out (and boring). Not really sure what to do here, but the head of SNEAK not leading the SNEAK deck seems...awkward?

What to do?

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Phoebe or X?
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 2:10 am 

Phoebe for me. Go full on no-equipment-or-aura voltron! Add in all the crazy overpowered stuff, Steal the text, ... , profit!!

Put March of the Machines in, steal the abilities on your artifacts.
Put that convoluted combo in that makes planeswalkers creatures and steal the abilities.
Put Training Grounds in and steal the ETB abilities of your opponents creatures so they can't use them again.
Have pieces of white paper to slide into card sleeves to blank-out text boxes of stolen stuff!
Have all the fun!!

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 2:23 am 

Phoebe steals creatures' text boxes and abilities and turns them vanilla. That won't necessarily be voltron-y, but it does mean she takes all the keywords (like flying, or deathtouch, or Raving Dead's thing) off the most dangerous creature played each round. That makes her a bit like a Perplexing Chimera -- just by sitting there players will be careful about what keywords they might potentially give her, because they probably won't want her to get Double strike, deathtouch, trample, flying, protection from red, vigilance, plus some activated abilities and the ability to bring things back from the graveyard (Alesha, Sun Titan, etc). That would make for a pretty scary creature, right?

That said, I'm going with X myself. He might not be the head of SNEAK, but he's gotta be one of their top agents -- this is his mission, dangit! I'm playing him because personally I want the bang of being able to play some opponents' cards. There's things like Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver and Consuming Aberration I've wanted to play again. (Dimir in Gatecrash was actually my very first Magic deck and I've always wanted to revisit it.) X lets me focus on a general theme of thievery, without needing to focus too hard on anything specific or mill. Ashiok would be happy to engage in serious, nonstop espionage and kidnapping.

BTW: Remember that while Phoebe doesn't steal P/T, she does steal P/T-defining effects. From the Unstable FAQAWASLFAQPAFTIDAWABIAJTBT:

Quote:
What happens if two text boxes contradict one another? For example, say it picks up two text boxes that each set its power and toughness differently.

The most recently added text box wins if there is a contradiction. Let's say Phoebe steals the text boxes of both Beast of Burden (power and toughness equal to the number of creatures on the battlefield) and Psychosis Crawler (power and toughness equal to the number of cards in your hand). Phoebe's power and toughness would be defined by her more recent heist.

Wait, what happens to the poor Beast of Burden once its text box is stolen?

If the creature had an ability defining its power and toughness, losing that ability will make it a 0/0. It will likely die.

This means if I get some different P/T setting effects into the same Phoebe deck, I can get her to steal one of them (my creature will die) and get a bigger than normal Phoebe.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 2:56 am 

Actually what I like more about Phoebe is that the deckbuilding potential is much deeper than for X. X says "your things are my things", Phoebe says "What would happen if I gave her Phrexian Warbeast's ability coupled with Ovinamancer and Pili-Pala and Yahenni and Half-Shark-Half-Kitten and Phage?" which seems a much more interesting hole to fall into.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 3:13 am 

zimagic wrote:
Actually what I like more about Phoebe is that the deckbuilding potential is much deeper than for X. X says "your things are my things", Phoebe says "What would happen if I gave her Phrexian Warbeast's ability coupled with Ovinamancer and Pili-Pala and Yahenni and Half-Shark-Half-Kitten and Phage?" which seems a much more interesting hole to fall into.

Sounds like it might be the case that Phoebe is a good Jenny/Johnny card because combos, while X is a good Tammy/Timmy card because splash. :)

(That would also help explain why I'm leaning toward X.)

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2017-Dec-08 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 9:51 am 

Phoebe seems like much more of Johnny card, since she is more combo-centric.

That said, X seems harder to make work from the command zone, as you will have to cast from the command zone and wait a turn (or give haste) to use the tap ability to send him to another player's hand. He'll also be vulnerable to Wheel and looting effects dumping back to the command zone before you can really (ab)use his second ability.

Unfortunately, there are only nine Spies, so tribal would be out; though Rogues have a fairly strong unblockable theme too.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 12:06 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Phoebe seems like much more of Johnny card, since she is more combo-centric.

Whoops, I mixed up those two psychographic profiles. Let me edit my post to swap them around to their rightful place. This is what I meant! :)

Offline Profile