Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-21 10:19 pm

Post subject: Of Wildfires and Splendid Reclamations
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-23 12:22 am 

Hey everyone,

The printing of World Shaper reminded me of an archetype I've been wanting to build for a while now, but which I don't really have a name for. Let me explain:

I'm trying to counter an excess of ramp in my metagame- usually of the "mana rock into early ramp spell into ramp spell into Maelstrom Wanderer/Genesis Wave" variety. This irritates me, so I want to try to bring them down a few pegs. However, I don't just want to nuke all the lands and grind the game to a halt.

I also have a soft spot for Wildfire. Perhaps you can see where this is going.

The plan would ideally be to use the symmetrical "each player loses some number of lands" cards in conjunction with World Shaper, Splendid Reclamation, Restore and so on to allow me to keep pace with the ramp decks whilst simultaneously holding them down to stop the ludicrous amounts of mana they make. We can add Seismic Assault and Molten Vortex and that cyclops whose name I can't spell who throws lands at people for extra setup. Perhaps the Explore creatures from Ixalan could be helpful to find extra lands?

The problem is, I don't even know what my colour combination should be, let alone the commander or how we eventually win. We're at least RG, but there seem to be various options in other colours which might assist- Keranos, God of Storms to draw more lands, The Gitrog Monster for more card draw, Goblin Trenches for defensive purposes...I don't know the best direction to go in. I have a strategy, but very few of the pieces.

The only thing I know is that I don't want to be 5-colour. None of the Commanders appeal to me and I suspect casting them would be a challenge even if that weren't the case. Beyond that, I have little preference. How should I proceed?

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Of Wildfires and Splendid Reclamations
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-24 1:01 am 

How about just a W/G deck that runs World Shaper, Cataclysm, Sun Titan, and Eternal Witness?

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-24 4:30 am 

I currently have a Zo-Zu deck that has a pretty similar premise, although backwards. The deck is packed with Howling Mine-type effects and "soft" mana denial cards like Crack the Earth or Sphere of Resistance. Take away just enough mana so that they're forced to keep dropping lands, and use the group hug cards to ensure that they always have lands to play. I would run Wildfire and friends but I honestly think I just wouldn't be able to cast them often enough since most of the deck's mana denial is very symmetrical.

Some ideas for the general off the top of my head:

Animar, Soul of the Elements: Obviously leaning toward a more creature-centric land destruction deck. You could also be a butt and run stuff like Back to Basics.

Borborygmos Enraged: Duh.

Hazeon Tamar: Casting him would feel really nice after a Splendid Reclamation.

Intet the Dreamer: Who needs lands when you can cast stuff for free?

Kresh the Bloodbraided: Like Animar, but with more of a focus on death/reanimation.

Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis: Explore every turn, while his downside is somewhat remedied by your strategy.

Mina and Denn, Wildborn: Another duh.

Omnath, Locus of Rage: Duh x3.

Radha, Heir to Keld: Helpful if you want to actually try to race the ramp decks.

Shattergang Brothers: Read Kresh

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-24 10:53 am 

If you stick with 2 colors, it's really easy to play stuff like From the Ashes, Ruination, Wave of Vitriol and Impending Disaster.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-25 9:36 am 

Going white gives access to Faith's Reward, also Second Sunrise and Planar Birth if you can get around the symmetry, extra sweepers like Cataclysm (mentioned above) and Razia's Purification, plus other support cards like Knight of the Reliquary and Teferi's Protection (phase out your lands and then Wildfire).

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies