Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-21 5:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-01 2:13 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

EDIT: Almost forgot... Immolation Shaman.

I could definitely see Immolation Shaman in a Xantcha, Sleeper Agent deck. But a deck with things like wishmonger, fan favorite, sailmonger, warmonger, squallmonger would also be ... memorable :lol: So I'd say Chromanticore if your group is amenable to it, if not Golos, Tireless Pilgrim as a new toy to go with it.

How about Spellshift?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-01 7:45 am 

TygerClaw wrote:
How about Spellshift?

Besides simply embracing the chaos and hoping for the best, I like it as a "Polymorph Spell" card. It gives you the option (random as it may be) to take a cheap spell and turn it into something that might be better- -if you use it to counter your own spells. My thought is things with cascade- -the really bad ones that you are only playing for the cascade triggers- -why not have a shot at trading up? Things like Demonic Dread, Violent Outburst, especially Throes of Chaos.

I like this helmed by Riku of Two Reflections for compounding advantage (say, copying the spells you Spellshift into...), but it limits you to only Throes, and Violent Outburst for instants/sorceries with cascade.

Possibly better option, which lets you play more cascade spells: Ramos, Dragon Engine for a giant pile of +1/+1 counter triggers (Magical Chistmasland: cast Demonic Dread (2 +1/+1 counters), cascade into Hull Breach (2 +1/+1 Counters), Spellshift the Demonic Dread (1 +1/+1 counter), Spellshift resolves, revealing Rishkar's Expertise (1 +1/+1 counter), drawing 10 cards and casting more things...)

Where's a good place for Sigil of the New Dawn?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-02 3:18 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Where's a good place for Sigil of the New Dawn?

I like to think of it as Enduring Renewal 2.0. Generic recursion, but costly to use. The initial buy-in is 6 mana, and it puts the creature in hand, making it somewhat inefficient (compared to something like Marshal's Anthem).

I think this has a home in Karametra, God of Harvests. Karametra will (probably) have the mana to make good on this. Additionally, creatures being returned to hand presents the opportunity of getting more land.

I can't think of any particular ETB I would want to abuse, but I'm sure someone with more imagination will point out something broken.

Who wants Bag of Holding?

Edit: This one, since the card db this site uses hasn't updated with hitherto unreleased product: https://scryfall.com/card/m20/222/bag-of-holding

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-02 9:28 am 

Sinis wrote:
I can't think of any particular ETB I would want to abuse, but I'm sure someone with more imagination will point out something broken.

Self-sacrificing creatures spring to mind, like Sidisi, Undead Vizier, or Fleshbag Marauder.

I don't have an immediate thought for the bag, so I'll let someone else take it.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-03 12:46 am 

(Also not an answer, more discussion about Sigil)

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Sinis wrote:

Self-sacrificing creatures spring to mind, like Sidisi, Undead Vizier, or Fleshbag Marauder.

I don't have an immediate thought for the bag, so I'll let someone else take it.
I agree that it's cute where this is going, but you have to note how monstrously mana inefficient using it is. 4 mana buy-in, and then Sidisi + Sigil's trigger is another 7 (!!!) mana. Realistically, you'd be way better off playing something like Diabolic Revelation, or even flashing back Increasing Ambition, unless you wanted to tutor like 5+ cards, or were using something like Black Market + Copy Enchantment.

I think Sigil shines in Karametra because there is *so* much ramp to utilize it, and Karametra might otherwise have trouble drawing cards. I think that's the real bottom line; Sigil has a great capture rate, but the throughput is bottlenecked by a truly colossal mana investment.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-03 9:25 am 

Sinis wrote:
I agree that it's cute where this is going, but you have to note how monstrously mana inefficient using it is. 4 mana buy-in, and then Sidisi + Sigil's trigger is another 7 (!!!) mana. Realistically, you'd be way better off playing something like Diabolic Revelation, or even flashing back Increasing Ambition, unless you wanted to tutor like 5+ cards, or were using something like Black Market + Copy Enchantment.

Black Market is definitely a card that would be in this deck. Probably headed by Ayli, for the snackrifices. In fact, Ayli would be a great fit for it, since the cost of sac is cheap. But in any event, I'm talking about having a critical mass of self-snacking creatures (not necessarily just ETB ones either) that the sigil could recur.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jul-05 5:30 am 

Sinis wrote:
Who wants Bag of Holding?

Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion + the Bag may as well be cheating. You're even in the right color to reanimate artifacts (Trash for Treasure, Daretti, Scrap Mastery, et. al,), if you need the bag back.

On the subject of new 2020 additions, how about Season of Growth?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33