Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 1:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-14 2:21 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
On 'cards that always seem to be the 'last one cut': Rubblebelt Raiders

It's just one of those cards that needed one or two more words in its text to be good. Could it put a counter on each attacking creature? No. It doesn't have evasion, either. Sadness.

I would be tempted to play it in Ulasht, the Hate Seed on account of Ulasht possibly going wide-ish, and especially enjoying the presence of creatures that are both red and green. Another possibility is Xenagos, God of Revels, as there is some cutesy devotion action on this card.

I don't think it will ever really shine, however.

You should sing the praises of Magus of the Balance. Call me a fool, I guess, but I just don't know how to break Balance and cards that duplicate the functionality (Restore Balance, too).

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-15 1:43 am 

Sinis wrote:
Jeyal wrote:
You should sing the praises of Magus of the Balance. Call me a fool, I guess, but I just don't know how to break Balance and cards that duplicate the functionality (Restore Balance, too).

Grand Arbiter Agustin IV.

The newest and easiest way to "break" Balance effects is Teferi's Protection. You cast Protection in response to your own Balance effect, everyone else suddenly has to sac down to 0 lands and 0 creatures. Then your stuff all phases back in next turn, unmolested.

You want Blue in the deck for draw effects, and Mystical Tutor. Plus, you probably want it to be a slow, controlling deck anyway, to ensure you live long enough to find and cast all these cards. The real trick is getting Magus to live a turn cycle, but you can probably just run Greaves.

Next: Apex of Power

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 10:25 am 

thaumaturge wrote:

I mean I really want to run it in Nicol Bolas, the Ravager cause you know flavor, but I think there has got to be a commander that would want it more, right? Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder could be a fun card to run this with as if you hit with him you are going to cast a ton of crap that turn. Probably a boring deck though.

Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh would probably be kinda fun too. Ultimately, Mizzix of the Izmagnus is probably the one that can best use this card.

up next: Paradoxical Outcome

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 11:49 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:
Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder could be a fun card to run this with as if you hit with him you are going to cast a ton of crap that turn. Probably a boring deck though.
Note: This doesn't work as intended as Yidris only gives spells cast from your hand cascade, and those cards are in exile.

(Edited to add; obv the 10 extra mana helps)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-16 6:50 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:

Non-answer post: I literally cut this from a Yennett-helmed ETB-style deck today. I want to like this card. I'm also interested in a spot for it.

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-17 12:55 am 

thaumaturge wrote:

I wanted to chime in on this one, even though a 'good' answer has already been provided in Mizzix.

I play this in Neheb, the Eternal and have been very happy with it. It's often a free pseudo-"Draw 7" when I'm trying to combo off, and sometimes I have so much mana that it's worth the "10-mana: Draw 7" via Recoup or Past in Flames. It's possible to have colossal amounts of mana, and ending the game sometimes needs a ton of card 'draw'.

Inkeyes22 wrote:

This card is obviously next-level ridiculous in Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain combo decks. It naturally plays into the theme of mana-neutral or mana-positive artifacts, and Storm combo.

How about Dulcet Sirens?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-20 5:25 am 

Sinis wrote:
How about Dulcet Sirens?

I really like this card for Ruhan of the Fomori, opening up people to be attacked profitably is probably the best use for the Sirens.

So I opened up a few Battlebond cards and I got Thrilling Encorex2. It keeps getting to be one of the last cuts, so am I doing it wrong? Should it go into my Liliana, Heretical Healer/Izoni or lord Windgrace? If I were to build a different B/x/x deck what would be the best place for it?

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-20 2:18 pm 

Webster's Dictionary wrote:
Douchebaggery: n: You cast Teferi's Protection in response to your own Balance effect, everyone else suddenly has to sac down to 0 lands and 0 creatures. Then your stuff all phases back in next turn, unmolested.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-21 2:32 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
So I opened up a few Battlebond cards and I got Thrilling Encorex2.

I bought a single of this one, having had loads of fun with its single-target cousin, Grim Return.

Any commander notorious for killing a lot of other creatures will like this. My absolute first pick would be Kagemaro, First to Suffer. Kagemaro can wipe the board at instant speed for a single black mana, leaving plenty of mana left for Thrilling Encore.

Outside Kagemaro, I think Thrilling Encore fits in many decks. Aside from a wincon post-board wipe (yours or your opponent's), it can be abused in sacrifice-themed decks where free sacrifice outlets are common and desired, like Savra, Queen of the Golgari, Regna the Redeemer/Krav, the Unredeemed, etc.

Next up: Crimson Honor Guard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-21 7:21 pm 

Sinis wrote:

Honestly, it's a pretty good pick for Grand Warlord Radha. While Radha is a general that easily attracts removal for her mana generation- I'd actually avoid using Crim in a deck with a General that protects itself like Norin the Wary or a God-commander; since it would make a difficult-to-answer commander worth answering in the first place (I have a bit of experience with that.) Ontop of that, Radha already enjoys protection like Shaper's Sanctuary or Fecundity- which makes the position of Crim more interesting. Specifically- if you drop Crim, you can coerce the entire table into spending the turn to develop their Generals, which is normally a strong play- but can contextually be cast off of Radha's combat-based mana generation to push the game in a direction of giving you another turn, and another combat to set up something- and even if someone answers Radha and you have to eat 4 damage; you're still ahead with the body and having your opponents try to remove one another's generals for additional value. It's a type of chaos that works especially well for a combat focused General.

How about that Hunter's Insight? Bonus points for something more creative than Selvala, Heart of the Wilds

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-22 5:16 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
How about that Hunter's Insight? Bonus points for something more creative than Selvala, Heart of the Wilds

I think any Mono-G, G/W, G/R or G/W/R decks would like this, but the ones that are not elfball can probably get more use out of it. Ghalta, Primal Hunger or Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma would be my first options. Hitting someone for 12 and drawing 12 would be a pretty awesome turn.

What about Nesting Dragon?

Shabbaman wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-22 5:55 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:

What about Nesting Dragon?

Two thoughts, here.

First idea: Brudiclad. Turning your whole board into eggs before a big Blasphemous Act or using one 'hatched' Dragon to hatch the rest of your eggs with the power of Telchor engineering each seem like unexpected value plays in a deck that thrives on unexpected value plays.

Other option is something R/G(/x), if only to play it alongside Perilous Forays. Mina and Denn, maybe? They eke out a bit of extra value in abscence of Forays.

How about a use for Mighty Emergence outside of persist combos?

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-22 7:57 am 

Quote:

Every deck ever, because it is just absolutely fantastic and I love it...

But on to the newest one...

Quote:

Selvala, Heart of the Wilds seems to be the obvious choice due to her love for both big creatures and said creatures getting bigger and casting a lot of them, although most mono-green decks could really get a kick out of it. Titania, Nylea, Goreclaw, Ghalta, and Rishkar all seem to be fantastic options.

Unstable Mutation

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-22 8:16 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:

This one is kinda hard, as you want to deal a lot of damage quickly or have some use for -1/-1 counters. Rafiq of the Many would be my go-to for lots of damage quickly. Vorosh, the Hunter can wipe away those silly -1/-1 counters assuming he connects so that would probably be my go-to as I don't think he gets as much love as he should. Play that BUG deck like you want the game to end before turn 1,789.

What about Blessed Alliance?

Shabbaman wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-22 8:47 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
What about Blessed Alliance?

Anax and Cymede spring to mind.

How about Fleet Swallower?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next