Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Feb-18 7:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-17 12:39 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
I think the Game night stuff is legal in EDH, at least that is what gatherer says.

Yes, apparently I misread the page he linked.

You didn't misread. Scryfall marks unreleased stuff as Not Legal in all formats, only updating legality once it's actually released. It got released yesterday so the legalities got updated soon after you posted. :)

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Who would want Urban Burgeoning?

Omnath, Locus of Mana wouldn't mind that at all. Preferably make that land something like Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx or Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun. :)

Kruphix, God of Horizons is similar and a runner up.

Ski Gloves wrote:
And to keep it going, I submit A Seat! (Dragon Throne of Tarkir)

The only thing better than having a big creature with Dragon Throne of Tarkir is to also have Pathbreaker Ibex, Xenagos, God of Revels, and Overwhelming Stampede, plus access to things like Titanic Ultimatum to capitalise on that overwhelming power.

I've built this into a Naya+Temur (WURG) power-matters deck under Bruse Tarl + Thrasios. I haven't been able to fully capitalise on what blue has to offer in this game plan (mainly because I don't use +1/+1 counters) so the Naya colors wind up doing most of the heavy lifting.

I suggest Samut, Voice of Dissent. Your commander granting haste will empower an aggressive game plan and Samut herself might get powered up something fierce for double-strike commander damage.

Add Crash of Rhino Beetles to this deck for a late-game minimum of +15/+15 for these effects, and your favorite Naya token generation as a side dish for that P/T boost to be applied to.

~~~

Sire of Stagnation

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-17 8:30 am 

Quote:

An asshole.

Goblin Balloon Brigade

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-17 9:52 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

I mean, Sid is not wrong... this is a card that is just not welcome at any table. I am all about people playing the cards that they own, but if someone drops this I would ask them politely to change it before the next game. I mean, I would probably build Leovold, Emissary of Trest and just go full on jerk. If they complain about me running an illegal commander than they hate fun and I should get rid of all the fun in the game right? Or maybe X and 98 lands, mulligan til I get Sire of Stagnation?

As far as GBB, I don't think anybody really wants it, but it does add to the goblin count so I guess Krenko, Mob Boss?

How about Call to Arms?

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-17 11:33 am 

I mean, anything mono-W.

Brimaz likes anthems. (I really ought to go redo that one with his new backup)

Deeproot Champion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-17 1:23 pm 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

There's a few gimme's here, like the U/G merfolk legends from Ixalan that probably include this guy on principle. Looking beyond that, we have a green card that doesn't want you to play creatures... which feels weird. It probably wants to be in a U/G/x shell... maybe Estrid, the Masked? If you're playing a lot of enchantments that will trigger the Champion, and you could use Estrid's totem armor ability to help protect it while it gets bigger, not to mention playing auras on it to grant evasion to punch through.

Next up: Oath of Nissa

EDIT: I had to put Estrid's full name in because otherwise it links to Jaddi Lifestrider

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-17 9:13 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Next up: Oath of Nissa

I play this in my mono-green Superfriends deck. While initially I was just playing the oath to have every card with Nissa's name on it, I found it to be suprisingly good after using it a little. It naturally goes in any G/x superfriends deck, but let me offer a spicy alternative.

Polukranos, World Eater control/ramp. There are a couple of planeswalkers worth digging for with it, but Oath of Nissa is just a straight up cantrip and isn't too much different to Adventurous Impulse. Adventurous Impulse on its own is a solid inclusion, but Oath of Nissa finds one more card type and sticks around on the battlefield. That means Oath of Nissa permanently boosts your green devotion by one and when caught by a mass-bounce spell can be cantripped with again. Even if it's just an extra counter on your Bane of Progress, that's an okay bonus from a 1 mana cantrip.

Might I inquire about Ghirapur Orrery?

Yasova Dragonclaw - Yasova Tinyclaw/Slightly-less-tinyclaw
Kruphix, God of Horizons - That Which Was Taken by Kruphix
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Blackless dredge
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - Monogreen Superfriends
Pharika, God of Affliction - Hemlock

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-17 11:54 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Quote:

An asshole.

[...]

I mean, Sid is not wrong... this is a card that is just not welcome at any table. I am all about people playing the cards that they own, but if someone drops this I would ask them politely to change it before the next game. I mean, I would probably build Leovold, Emissary of Trest and just go full on jerk. If they complain about me running an illegal commander than they hate fun and I should get rid of all the fun in the game right? Or maybe X and 98 lands, mulligan til I get Sire of Stagnation?

Whoa. That was not the response I was expecting, but I think I understand now.

That one appealed to me because it was one of the only BFZ/OGW Eldrazi that would do much interesting in EDH. But now that y'all have me re-examining it, it's a lot like Consecrated Sphinx or Rhystic Study, and would it feel equally bad to be reminded of it every single turn.

(Last request post is just above mine. ^)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 1:46 am 

Ski Gloves wrote:

Leovold, would be an obvious choice, except banned list. Cards like that are tough to analyze, because they're symmetrical, so what we need is a general that breaks the symmetry. The most obvious ways to do that are to have a general that really wants to be hellbent, and can do it faster/easier than others, or one that prevents your opponents from becoming hellbent, through taxes or the like.

I think I'll go with Rakdos, Lord of Riots. I've seen these decks really start to vomit their hands onto the table once they get rolling, so they could make good use of the free refill.

How about Reassembling Skeleton?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 2:59 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:

Whoa. That was not the response I was expecting, but I think I understand now.

That one appealed to me because it was one of the only BFZ/OGW Eldrazi that would do much interesting in EDH. But now that y'all have me re-examining it, it's a lot like Consecrated Sphinx or Rhystic Study, and would it feel equally bad to be reminded of it every single turn.

(Last request post is just above mine. ^)

I wouldn't say it's as obnoxious as Consecrated Sphinx because you usually have to draw a card every turn and some cards force their controller or everyone to draw. You almost never have to put lands into play, and sometimes can't. But it's a similarly generic and powerful value engine if not removed.

Since it got missed:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

This just doesn't seem very high impact, even for a deck like Krenko, or Zada. But maybe Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, where it becomes a cheap saboteur.

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Ski Gloves wrote:

Leovold, would be an obvious choice, except banned list. Cards like that are tough to analyze, because they're symmetrical, so what we need is a general that breaks the symmetry. The most obvious ways to do that are to have a general that really wants to be hellbent, and can do it faster/easier than others, or one that prevents your opponents from becoming hellbent, through taxes or the like.

I think I'll go with Rakdos, Lord of Riots. I've seen these decks really start to vomit their hands onto the table once they get rolling, so they could make good use of the free refill.

I was going to suggest Latulla, Keldon Overseer.

Next person can take
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 3:05 am 

NMS wrote:
I wouldn't say it's as obnoxious as Consecrated Sphinx because you usually have to draw a card every turn and some cards force their controller or everyone to draw. You almost never have to put lands into play, and sometimes can't. But it's a similarly generic and powerful value engine if not removed.

You're right that you're not FORCED to play lands, but if someone sticks this obnoxious pile of crap early, you're pretty much forced to punish yourself to play the game, and it's worse than sphinx in that it doesn't JUST give its controller obscene card advantage, it ALSO exile-mills you.

Anyhoo...

Sid the Chicken wrote:
How about Reassembling Skeleton?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 5:25 am 

I don't get the hate for the mill, whether it's exile or not. For some reason "exile two cards at random from the middle of your deck" is perceived differently to "exile two cards from the top of your deck" even in situations where the top two cards are unknown.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 7:01 am 

Viperion wrote:
I don't get the hate for the mill, whether it's exile or not. For some reason "exile two cards at random from the middle of your deck" is perceived differently to "exile two cards from the top of your deck" even in situations where the top two cards are unknown.

Me neither. I'm totally thrown by the whole conversation, and am genuinely surprised that people aren't okay punishing players who are going to play lands. This isn't even the same territory as Consecrated Sphinx where symmetrical draw effects (especially low opportunity cost ones like Mikokoro, Center of the Sea or Geier Reach Sanitarium) make the game beyond ridiculous.

I'm honestly surprised that this card is even considered good, rather than oppressive. I've never played against it, mind you.

Quote:

Easy: Kuon Ogre Ascendant. He can die multiple times in a turn to flip Kuon, and then he can break the symmetry of Kuon's Essence by getting fed to it each upkeep. Skelly also does well in Savra, Queen of the Golgari, Whisper, Blood Liturgist and many other generals interested in just having bodies that can be trivially returned.

How about Colfenor's Urn?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 8:58 am 

Viperion wrote:

What card exiles things randomly from the middle of your deck? Regardless, it's frustrating. Finding out that variance would have served you up something juicy and then having it snatched away is annoying. Also if this thing drops early enough, you can lose 10% of your deck just trying to keep up on mana.

Sinis wrote:
I'm totally thrown by the whole conversation, and am genuinely surprised that people aren't okay punishing players who are going to play lands.

As a general rule, I consider punishing players for playing the game pretty much the definition of anti-social behavior. If "play games you'd like to remember" is the mantra, all I can say is I'd like to forget basically every time something like Sire, or Vorinclex, or Iona hits the table. I would feel a lot differently about the card if it only punished RAMP. If the card said "whenever a land ETB's under an opponent's control other than their first land drop" or something like that, it would be another story.

Anyhoo, attempting to (somewhat) put the train back on the rails....

Sinis wrote:
How about Colfenor's Urn?

Basically WoG insurance for decks that run lots of fatties (or at least big butts). I'll say Doran, the Seige Tower.

Who most wants Jace, the Mind Sculptor?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 2:42 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I'd like to forget basically every time something like Sire, or Vorinclex, or Iona hits the table.

(not an answer)

I mean, I'm still baffled how you can even consider Sire in the same category of Vorinclex or Iona. The other two usually prevent you from playing half your cards. All Sire does is randomly exile stuff from your deck (you're not playing combo, are you?) and draw me cards. At 6 mana is Sire as bad a NPE as Primeval Titan was? How does it compare to DEN? Prophet of Kruphix?

I'm genuinely curious; I'll be honest, I just don't see it. Even if someone randomly exiles 10 cards from my deck, all (and I mean ALL) of my decks would still function (and would likely not notice the difference).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 3:48 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Who most wants Jace, the Mind Sculptor?

I think most control decks want it, but I think Isperia the Inscrutable wants it the most.

Realistically, Jace's most playable abilities are the Brainstorm and Unsummon, and Isperia likes those, a lot. Jace's Brainstorm likes Isperia's shuffle on a correct guess, Isperia's guessing game likes Jace's Unsummon.

While not totally without consideration, the Fateseal/Scry isn't impactful enough in a multiplayer game, and the -12 is just too unlikely to actually happen. For any given board, Jace's most powerful abilities are going have a positive interaction with Isperia's combat trigger.

Let's talk about Brain in a Jar.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next